Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334648 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Nostalgia Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: The Nostalgia Thread.  (Read 15125 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »

LOL I love that Ashy is banned again.

ME NEXT!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:06 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
I find it funny how, over the course of being on the boards, I went and did the opposite of everybody and became LESS of a dick.

You guys are assholes.

You really did...what the fuck happened?

I remember when I first started on these boards...a LONG time ago I tried to avoid conflict. I would act as an on scene reporter for the flame wars between Nicole and Hidoshi, Nicole and Third, Nicole and Evan...shit...Nicole and everyone. Then I decided to take a side in those wars and I lost my journalistic integrity.

I have had my good times and bad times. I have had some great conversations and some that just ended with me saying fuck it, but I think there are very few people on these boards that I don't respect at least a little.

The friends I have made here transcend the internet, even though I haven't had the opportunity to shake any of their hands (with one exception, of course). Dade, Losfer, Dincrest, DR, Ash, Eusis, John, Hidoshi, Kiem, Nad, and a few others know that I am not as big of a dick as I seem. Mostly. At least if you are my friend.

Now, some 8ish? years later I am living with one of the people I met on these boards and having gay s...err...laser tag.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 01:44:43 AM »

I've been here about five years, but I don't think I've made any friends.

Still, these boards have always been consistently good. When I first joined it was rough for me; I got flamed to hell and back for defending FF X-2. But I stuck with it and am usually less hated now, I think.

[/url]
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:11 AM »

I didn't think I'd qualify, but now I gotta find somebody to ban.

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:03:21 AM »

It doesn't get more nostalgic for me than DR's method of dealing with spammers:

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 05:29:25 AM »

(after a brief stint at RPGamer pretending I was a 14 year old girl)

When I first signed up I actually was a 14-year-old girl. I've must have been such an annoying idiot back then with my crappy English.

I remember the old boards, the Flaming Duck, Nicole, the complaints about the delay of Lunar 2... It's had to believe I've been a member of this community for 1/3 of my life.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »

I still can't believe I was a member of the boards since October 1999.  And I was a fresh-faced 21 year old back then.  Good times.  Even with all the wipes, server shifts (including when the boards were on Parn's personal server), and all that, I somehow stuck around.  I remember the first post I made as well: I was asking about the Japanese to English name changes in FF6.  

I still remember Drexle as back then he and I were the only ones who had even heard of Megami Tensei.  Now the RPG community is well aware of the awesomeness that is MegaTen due to its heightened presence in the US.  

I remember the Nicole years.  I thought it was hysterical that the more abusive she was, the stronger the boys' webcrushes on her would get.  Nerds must be masochists.  Speaking of which, JiJi McPaws was a wonderful source of laughter for me.  His webcrushes on Liz then Nicole were comedy gold (well, to everyone except Liz and Nicole.)  

I actually still tell Jiji's cat-naming story to people.  If you wish, I'll retell it later.  

Playing Phantasy Star Online with various RPGFanners was really fun.  I remember running with Eusis, Nallo, Parn, Shiguma, Dios, Cyberman X, Cyberman's sister Lacia, Takumi/Seifer (that muscle car obsessed guy from way back when), beans, and a whole bunch of others.  My main character was a FOMarl named DezaMistique and my 2nd was a HUNewearl named Tamara Ny.

I remember that masturbation thread I started back in '01 or '02 and I was in shock that it lasted as long as it did, stayed civil, and became as epic as it did.  I started it mainly for shits and giggles.  

And though this is an outside of RPGFan memory, SP/Damian's wedding was awesome.  I was already friends with him, Christine and Dancin' Homer/Slime before and I got to meet and hang with Pat/Ramza for the first time.  That was pretty sweet.  

Worst RPGFan memory happened in staffland and it involved a disgruntled composer who was an arrogant asshole and a bully who was way too full of himself.  Most assuredly he thinks the same of me.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 09:05:30 AM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
Third's moved on to video blogging.  I had a link to his Youtube shit at one point, but that was a while back.  Maybe a search for "pretentious douche" would find him. :P

He's still trying to start his own religion. I find that alone hilarious.

As to nostalgia: Nicole with beer in the mailbag was fucking hilarious.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »

I actually kinda miss the mailbag. Odd.
I suppose I've been around since 2000 or earlier.
I wonder what happened to General Mortars? Without him around, I think I may very well be the oldest member here, at 33.
I remember selling all my great Saturn games to Ogami Itto(Mike Bracken). I regret that immensely, but I guess I really needed cash at the time.
In regards to Nicole, I've got you all beat. I bought a Grandia II t-shirt from her that she had gotten at some E3 show. I wonder where she is now.
I miss Galactic, too, although I think I've seen a few random posts from him recently.
Third was awesome. I may not have agreed with him on a lot of things, but his posts were always good reads.
Yeah, this is the only gaming board that I still post on, if a bit irregularly.
The only other site/message board that I really liked was the GIA. I still miss that place.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:48 AM »

I honestly dont have that much nostalgia I suppose.  But I do enjoy the site and the boards.  I did have fun WoWing with some folks here till I messed it up, and I've always enjoyed the craziness of some of the posts here.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"

Probably my good ol' education at work.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

Probably my good ol' education at work.

Odd, because my education experiences just made me more bitter. :P

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 02:11:46 PM »

I think that's due to the significant difference in our respective educational venues.

And don't think I'm not bitter. I just find ways of being an asshole that don't involve me telling people they're fucking pissants.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »

Quote from: "Tomara"
(after a brief stint at RPGamer pretending I was a 14 year old girl)

When I first signed up I actually was a 14-year-old girl. I've must have been such an annoying idiot back then with my crappy English.

I remember the old boards, the Flaming Duck, Nicole, the complaints about the delay of Lunar 2... It's had to believe I've been a member of this community for 1/3 of my life.

Naw, your English has always been fine.  Plus you're from the land of Bugles and oxtail soup, so you get bonus points.  :P

Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »

Quote from: "Sensei Phoenix"
Bitches, please, I'm so old school I was posting on the boards back when we had the old RPGboards. Back in the days when Keith's signatures took up several screens, when Neal was Blademaster Dezo...

If anyone could produce a copy of one of Keith's sigs, they would so win the Internet.  I hoped that he had made a mark on AD's RPGBoards, but no sig revival possible from me.  :-(

I do have my RPGBoard sig tho; one of the later ones:

I really miss some of those guys from the old RPGBoards.  Kefka, Drff Sidious, Hatless (before he appeared to go off the deep end), Zone Pharaoh, Drexle the Homicidal Maniac, beans, Galactic, etc.  I know RPGBoard was tough to administer,  but it was awesome how flexible it was for the users.

I would act as an on scene reporter for the flame wars between Nicole and Hidoshi, Nicole and Third, Nicole and Evan...shit...Nicole and everyone.

Dude, I remember that shit.  You were awesome!  (There's also Nicole and Titania!  Or was that before your time?)  We need some more epic in these threads.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: