Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:05:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Universe stuff.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Universe stuff.  (Read 14154 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 01:25:01 PM »

Long dungeons? Going by what I'm hearing about for the /single player/, nope. Combat? It's apparantly enough of an improvement that it's hard to return to PSO after playing it.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 01:37:49 PM »

For a brief look at some of the combat, here's my character in action on network mode.  The voice chat is from Ventrillo, with Dios and Vandal talking to each other while I was being awesome.

Right click and save.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 09:04:34 PM »

I gotta admit, excepting the faggots chittering in the background, that was impressive.  I haven't really paid a lot of attention to PSU other than the textual masturbation of the Brothers Salbato, so I might need to investigate this a little more. :P

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2006, 01:14:21 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
PSO was boring not because of a lack of story but because of multi-hour dungeons that you can't SAVE in, along with lameish combat. Was this fixed at all?

i lawl'ed

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2006, 03:32:46 AM »

Who the fuck has to save in PSO's dungeons
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 06:13:24 PM »

Probably someone who used his saber and level 1 foie for his HUmar for the entire duration of the game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 03:18:17 PM »

Or someone that has a hard time playing any single game for more than 40 minutes at a go.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »

Really, I don't see what's so difficult. Even if you didn't have the time to sit down for half an hour plus to go through the entire stage, you can still gain levels continuously until you can get through it under that time (Though I have to agree that would make the game boring as hell, because it'd be too easy). But for one, there are a LOT of games that need you to sit down for over half an hour to find a save point. Either you played very select games or you didn't start playing games until recently (seems like a lot more games have field saves and such now)- I can still remember people playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles or whatever for hours on end until they get Hyper Sonic. Hah.

As for "Lame Combat" or whatever it was you said, I assume you mean the boring animations, which have been upgraded in PSU, clearly. If you didn't hack all the time there's a few things you can take into consideration while fighting in PSO, especially at high difficulties (Don't get surrounded and such), and from what I've heard, it's been emphasized more now. I actually like the simple slashes in PSO, though I could've liked some variety. At least they wern't awkwardly exaggerated karate moves with ridiculous-sounding screams.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »

Guys, there's now a soundtrack preorder bonus.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »

I just remember the combat in PSO having some... vague comboish system where you could time your hits and get up to 3-5 consecutive blows, weapon depending. It was mostly button mashing. Even at relatively low levels it didn't seem either actiony or difficult. Just... slow and easy.

Also, my game collection has 600 odd games going back to 1981. And in general I use save states on pretty much any emulatable game that doesn't have a save anywhere feature or a savepoint every twenty minutes or so (Or in action games, basically after every level). I think Wizardry 1 is the only game with longish dungeons that you can't save in that I play semi0regularly but uhhhh. They're big but you can traverse them quickly if you know where to go.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ark

me irl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 03:47:37 AM »

PSU is good but I stopped playing it until the english release because Japanese sucks ass and I can't read half of it so really what's the point.

In before angry fanboys berate/ban me for saying something about their holy language.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2006, 07:33:49 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Guys, there's now a soundtrack preorder bonus.

Damn, I'm going to have to preorder it along with TBC now. >_>

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2006, 03:12:29 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I just remember the combat in PSO having some... vague comboish system where you could time your hits and get up to 3-5 consecutive blows, weapon depending. It was mostly button mashing. Even at relatively low levels it didn't seem either actiony or difficult. Just... slow and easy.

Also, my game collection has 600 odd games going back to 1981. And in general I use save states on pretty much any emulatable game that doesn't have a save anywhere feature or a savepoint every twenty minutes or so (Or in action games, basically after every level). I think Wizardry 1 is the only game with longish dungeons that you can't save in that I play semi0regularly but uhhhh. They're big but you can traverse them quickly if you know where to go.

if you button mash in pso all you will do is keep repeating the first combo hit. you cant combo button mashing. for the record i never did get bored of pso's actual combat.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2006, 11:34:02 AM »

On a completely stupid note, two different times I went to EB Games for preordering stuff, both cashiers were talking about how awesome PSU looks.    I'm easily amused.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2006, 02:54:13 PM »

What would be a good PC controller for this game?  I have one with two analog sticks, but I don't like the D-pad... the diagonals are too easy to hit, plus the four face buttons click a little wrong.  I'll use it, but I'd like something more like a PS2 controller.

I have a few dual shock 1 controllers laying around... could I use an adapter of some sort?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: