Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331786 Posts in 13584 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Vesperia - Special Edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia - Special Edition  (Read 26411 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »

Everything about VP2 was perfect save for the needing to dash around the battle screen.  The battling was fine, it was just...  Trying to get close to the enemies was retarded.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Trying to get close to the enemies was retarded.

That was the thing that annoyed me most.  Just felt like it took too long, I dunno.  I really wanted to like it.  Definitely no hate for it though, Dice.  Just wasn't my thing which is what worries me about Infinite Undiscovery.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Dice"
Quote from: "dalucifer0"
On paper, IU is awesome, but tri-Ace always finds a way to disappoint me somehow.

I find its usually...if not always in storyline.

Almost all of their games have some strange ass design choices that I find baffling, but I find really fun regardless. I expect IU's going to be the same way. Or if not maybe I'll just be annoyed enough by the story, whichever!

Quoting Eusis for no real reason but, did they ever explain how Infinite Undiscovery's battle system works?  I remember watching a video or two of gameplay and it just kinda seemed like Secret of Mana meets Star Ocean 3 (or Valkyrie Profile 2, which I didn't like).

SO3 meets FFXII.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
On paper, IU is awesome, but tri-Ace always finds a way to disappoint me somehow.

I find its usually...if not always in storyline.

Almost all of their games have some strange ass design choices that I find baffling, but I find really fun regardless. I expect IU's going to be the same way. Or if not maybe I'll just be annoyed enough by the story, whichever!

Quoting Eusis for no real reason but, did they ever explain how Infinite Undiscovery's battle system works?  I remember watching a video or two of gameplay and it just kinda seemed like Secret of Mana meets Star Ocean 3 (or Valkyrie Profile 2, which I didn't like).

SO3 meets FFXII.

Sounds awesome. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eldrick

kainesdroden@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »

I wouldn’t call that awesome :P SO3 and Final fantasy XII was my two biggest disappointments on the ps2 console
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »

Two each their own, I suppose.  I admired the freedom of FF12, and the individual control and systems of SO3. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »

Two each their own, I suppose.  I admired the freedom of FF12, and the individual control and systems of SO3. =)

The FFXII battle system reminded me of a WRPG, but with a shiny JRPG gloss.  One of my favorite battle systems ever.  ...But I did have to turn off the Gambits.  They made it too easy.  :P

SO3 was awesome save for Fayt's herky jerky legs when he ran.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"

The FFXII battle system reminded me of a WRPG, but with a shiny JRPG gloss.  One of my favorite battle systems ever.  

I wholeheartedly agree. Loved the battle system.

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »

SO3 meets FFXII.

Meets VP's combo system. Here's a nice summary:
Very extensive update today. They updated the world map, showing the 4 major regions in the world as well.

The Battle section is also updated with tons of more detailed gameplay specifics.

Tactics:

There are 6 party AI commands that can be active at any given time. Move freely, Split up and attack, Concentrate on one enemy, Stay behind and wait, Combo, and Conserve MP.

The Attack Point (AP) system is also explained in more detail, along with the Force system. I'll try to explain it in more detail because it's a little tricky to understand. You have two normal attacks (normal and heavy) as well as 2 battle skills that can be equiped at any time. Battle skills takes up MP, but normal attacks do not. At the same time, the heavy normal attack and most battle skills have "additional" physical attack properties. This can come in 3 possible forms - "knock back", "lift" and "knock down". This is when AP comes into play. The AP bar on the right has a "target" indicator which shows you how full the AP bar has to be, at least, before the targeted enemy you're locked on to will suffer those effects when you use a heavy attack or battle skill.

What does this mean? Say you have a battle skill that can lift the enemy into the air. If your AP bar is currently below the "target" indicator, you can use that skill to attack, and it'll take up MP as usual, but it will not lift the enemy into the air. If your AP bar is high enough, it will. So... why DO we care if enemies are lifted in the air, knocked back or knocked down? Well there are obviously advantages in gameplay as it's an action RPG and in these circumstances the enemy will be open to more combo attacks... BUT... the Force system makes it even more interesting.

The Force system rewards the player for pulling off combos (it doesn't have to be the main character that pulls off the combo, anyone in the party can do it, hence the Combo AI setting) on enemies in different circumstances. If an enemy if comboed while in a normal state, you gain yellow Force which fills up your AP bar (ah, so that's how we get AP), and as your AP bar fills up, it allows you to pull off the additional attacks as stated above. When an enemy is lifted in the air, all aerial combos will result in red Force, which is extra experience for everyone. When an enemy is comboed when in a knocked down state, green Force will result, which replenishes HP and MP for everyone.

Hope that helps!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11773955&postcount=401
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »

The one thing I do not like is the pausing aspect midbattle. The game doesn't pause, just your character sit on the ground while they're getting the shit kicked out of.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »

http://kotaku.com/5040313/why-grind-when-theres-tales-of-vesperia-dlc

Thoughts?

Not really going to affect my enjoyment of the game as long as the game isn't effected by the DLC, but I still think it's pretty lame.  I wonder if it works on all characters or just one

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »

I'll point out that you can only buy most of that once. I still think it's pretty weak, but more due to charging so much for crap like this than PEOPLE ARE CHEATING. Also the potential for someone to not only take note of this, but deliberately break balance so you really do need to get this.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »

I think this is freaking retarded.

Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2008, 06:10:10 PM »

I'll point out that you can only buy most of that once. I still think it's pretty weak...

Also the potential for someone to not only take note of this, but deliberately break balance so you really do need to get this.

Didn't know you could only buy it once, thanks for the link.  I'm pretty sure that they've mentioned in interviews that they want to put the best weapons in the game on DLC as well (which is also lame to me).

And the bolded part is my concern too.  Probably not built into Vesperia, but who knows for future games.  Kinda reminds me of the one point in FFXI's lifespan where someone from this board mentioned that progressing in that game almost required gil buying of some sorts.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »

Why do any of you care?

OH NO NAMCO IS TRYING TO MAKE MONEY AAAAAAAAAAHHH *SNARL* RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHH
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: