Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319709 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Vesperia - Special Edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia - Special Edition  (Read 25470 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2008, 01:57:49 PM »

Picked up a 360 on Friday, picked up IU, ToV, and Lost Odyssey.  ToV's what's getting the play.  About five hours in, and I'm pretty impressed, though I do like the flow of TotA's battle system better than ToV's.  Maybe I just suck, but I was getting average 3.0+ GRADEs in TotA, and I average .5 and often have negatives in ToV.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »

Once a few more battle elements are included later in the game, the number will go up to 0-2

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »

Well, I'd say ToV has the difficulty level of Symphonia rather than the Abyss.

--

Oh, I've been reading some reviews, and something kind of irked me, mainly regarding the skits. In past titles, they complained because the skits were silent. Now that the skits have voices with them, now they're bad because they're stills? But being stills was fine in the last few games, but not this one? ToV has voice-over skits, one thing reviewers always bitched about in ToS and TotA, but now the skits are subpar again with voices. Next game they'll animate the skits and have voices, but then the reviewers will complain it's in anime graphics, not in-game graphics. >.>
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »

reviewer's are never satisfied... i'm going out on a limb here, but i'd gather that no jrpg has been reviewed without faults...
they fault something in one game, then it's fixed, then they find some fault elsewhere...

/sigh
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »

GT Review: 8.8

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39720.html
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2008, 11:20:53 AM »

Grade spamming with Rita right now for 500 grade per battle.... it takes so long, but not that its better than going battle to battle.
Especially with Grade prices as high as they are this time around.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »

Well, I'd say ToV has the difficulty level of Symphonia rather than the Abyss.

--

Oh, I've been reading some reviews, and something kind of irked me, mainly regarding the skits. In past titles, they complained because the skits were silent. Now that the skits have voices with them, now they're bad because they're stills? But being stills was fine in the last few games, but not this one? ToV has voice-over skits, one thing reviewers always bitched about in ToS and TotA, but now the skits are subpar again with voices. Next game they'll animate the skits and have voices, but then the reviewers will complain it's in anime graphics, not in-game graphics. >.>
Some reviewers have ragged on any game this generation that has had elements brought from a previous generation despite the fact that at least 80% of the games on the market, including some huge ones, have the same thing.  What they want are for the skits to be played out through real-time or fully animated cut-scenes but I like things the way they are.  I also like the fact that this game has been released rather than having to wait while they work on blocking scenes for all of the skits, which would likely mean fewer skits, or basically making a full blown anime production in order to make things perfect for some of these reviewers.   

Anyway NB should be commended for their effort localizing this game. This is an example of what western reviewers should pay attention to going forward, the effort made to bring these games to the west in a timely manner.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:03:31 PM by Lord Dorkus » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2008, 01:02:06 PM »

Well, Halo 3 had a lot of parts from Halo 1 and 2, yet it still got Game of the Year in a lot of places.  I'm fine with how skits are as well.  Voice acting was nice to have this time around on the US release and I'm fine with it not being full animated.  Some reviewers gave it shit for having "an ugly overworld (worldmap)".  Personally, I think Vesperia has one of the more beautiful world maps considering world maps were never meant to be the shining beacons of graphical prowess anyway.

Quote from: Dice
Grade spamming with Rita right now for 500 grade per battle.... it takes so long, but not that its better than going battle to battle.
Especially with Grade prices as high as they are this time around.

Whoa, interesting.  How do you purchase stuff with grade and is there anything worthwhile?  I always heard about that in Abyss and I think Symphonia but never knew how to do it. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »

I love the skits the way they are.. I'm just glad they finally have voice-overs in the US release.

Vesperia is definitely the best game in the series on a technical level if nothing else. The story is just starting to pick up for me at 20 hrs in or so. It has been kind of a rag-tag adventure (I totally get the one-piece comparisons) up until this point.

DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »

How do you purchase stuff with grade and is there anything worthwhile?

It's most likely stuff to carry over into NewGame+, if it's anything like previous installments.

Anyway, I'm approaching the thirty five hour mark, and I'm still enjoying it thouroughly, moreso than the other JRPGs of this generation, I'd have to say. I think my final impression will be very favorable.
I think the skits are fine, as well; after all, they're just extra content to flesh things out.
As for the world map, who complained about it?! It's the best looking worldmap I've ever seen.
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2008, 11:49:08 PM »

How do you purchase stuff with grade and is there anything worthwhile?

It's most likely stuff to carry over into NewGame+, if it's anything like previous installments.

Anyway, I'm approaching the thirty five hour mark, and I'm still enjoying it thouroughly, moreso than the other JRPGs of this generation, I'd have to say. I think my final impression will be very favorable.
I think the skits are fine, as well; after all, they're just extra content to flesh things out.
As for the world map, who complained about it?! It's the best looking worldmap I've ever seen.

and the only 3D Tales worldmap that has not suffered from severe framerate issues.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2008, 12:15:57 AM »

This will be the first Tales game that I will beat and replay. I am going to farm GRADE and do a second playthrough with all the good stuff unlocked to complete the monster and item book. The secret missions should be super easy the second time around, where I can last much longer.
  Personally, for a game that really stresses replay, they could have cut some of the fluff. Every RPG is guilty of this, but I felt like there are too many scenes in the game where the characters come out and say "Well, this was a waste of time, lets go here then".
  This game also needed a way to skip cut scenes. A few of the secret missions are tricky, and having to replay the same 10 mins over again 4-5 times to get the mission really sucks. 
   What I really love is the speed. The only long load time I ever see is when I start the game and the first random battle of the session. After that its warp speed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:24:37 AM by Haven » Logged

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2008, 11:57:45 AM »

Spent 200 hours on this, got everything i think. I like Rita's waitress costume. Even more so when using her to farm grade. At least have eye candy. xD

Noticed some spelling errors in the English script, but the VA work was pretty decent.
Juan_Blue

Bluejuan85@aol.com Bluejuan85@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »

I came to say that the game has been discontinued for Gamestop and Toys R Us and othr stores may follow suit so if you haven't bought the game you need to get it soon before it becomes rare. I got this news from neoGAF.com

Currently Playing:
Call of Duty 4 (PS3), Persona 3: FES (PS2), Tales of Eternia (PSP)

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »

Lame. Funnily enough, it isn't even out here yet.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: