Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:18:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PSP or DS for rpg games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: PSP or DS for rpg games  (Read 14205 times)
fuyuki

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:13:43 AM »

Hi, I have been a lurker at this site for a long time checking out rpg reviews for PS2 and PC. I wanted to get a portable gaming system, but can't decide whether to get a DS or PSP. Which one has better rpg games. I like rpg games such as Persona 3 and Atelier Iris. So which one is better for rpgs? Thanks.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:24:10 AM »

It's funny you ask that. Yesterday my brother bought the Crisis Core bundle. That silver PSP with the FFVII artwork rocks.
Anyway, I bought the PSP2000 cable and as soon as I got home I started playing crisis core on my TV and it was great. I love the game.
Can't wait to play GOW, MGSPO and dissidia on it, being able to use the machine with a TV is very cool.

Both machines have good rpgs, I'll have to check the games available for both again.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:40:07 AM »

Personally I like the psp a lot better but most people would say the DS has better rpgs. Thing is, once the DQ4, 5, 6 remakes as well as DQ9 comes out, the amount of quality rpgs may favor them quite heavily.

Still though I love how you can do so much with the PSP. And besides, I'm sorry to say, but I just feel like a kid when I play the DS in places with a bunch of people. You shouldn't let that impact your decision though...

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:03:30 AM »

If you enjoy strategy RPGs, PSP hands down.  Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, FFT: War of the Lions, Aedis Eclipse, Jeanne D'Arc, and Wild Arms XF are the good ones that come to mind.  

The PSP also has the Star Ocean remakes being localized for it, so that's the system to play if you're dying for Star Ocean 1.  

The DS I think only now is starting to hit its RPG stride.  The World Ends With You was fantastic.  In terms of future RPGs, there's Black Sigil, that Bioware Sonic RPG, NISA's A Witch's Tale, The Dragon Quest remakes to name a few.  

The DS is a far more durable handheld, but the PSP has a larger screen and can be hooked up to a TV.  Both I think are solid systems for RPGs.  But the DS is less expensive and I believe in every gaming market (Japan, US, Europe) it's the most popular platform, so it has a very good future.

Both systems have their fair share of crap, though.  For example, do not be fooled by the name Cozy Okada on Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner.  That game is complete shit.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »

The DS undoubtedly, unless you have a preference for SRPGs or don't like the 3D done on DS. The PSP is a great alternative but I think it's releases are a lot more spread out, the Star Ocean remakes/ports are only PSP games I'm interested in picking up in the future with actual dates for North America.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »

Honestly, I wouldn't be satisfied if I could only have one. They both have some great RPG's. The PSP has Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (didn't have to pay an outrageous amount for the PSX version), FFT: War of the Lions, Disgaea, Jeanne d'Arc, Crisis Core, and if you are a huge fan of the Tales series then Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology is worth a pick-up.

In terms of DS RPG's, there are WAY too many of them to list, but the standout ones are: The World Ends With You, FFIV DS, FFIII DS, FFTA2, Etrian Odyssey I & II, and the Castlevania games. It also has a bunch more RPG's coming out for it this year.

If I HAD to pick, I'd probably go with the PSP as my favorite simply because I think the RPG's I played on it so far were of higher quality, but the DS has some quality ones as well and way more RPG's in general.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »

Funny thing is, both have some great ports/remakes of classic RPGs from the 90's, not to mention heaps of fresh ones too.

I've been a DS over PSP guy for a few years, but now that I actually own a PSP, I can't decide which one's better.

SRPGs are better on PSP, I can agree with that. Action RPGs seem to be on the DS more, and there's a fair share of turn-based on both. So it all depends on what type of RPGs you like.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »

PSP has more PS2 like RPGs, whereas DS RPGs are more like SNES games, quirky, niche.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »

Well, if you have to choose one, I'd say PSP. With the large PS1 collection and a good amount of RPGs already coming out for the system itself, I just put custom firmware on my PSP and play all my favorite PS1 RPGs on it as well as the PSP games. Right now I really don't play much of my DS or PSP, but I would easily choose my PSP for its added collection of PS1 games. Really, either one is fine. They're both turning out to be great handhelds.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »

DS if you're using battery all the way.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »

I would say DS hands down. Far MORE RPGs currently, and a whole swath of them coming around the corner. Also, the DS has completely revived the old point-and-click adventure genre, which contains a lot of the same enjoyment that I get from playing RPGs.

Sure, the PSP has a lot of PS1/2 titles, but that's the thing... they're mostly PS1/2 ports. Also, the quality of the ports for the DS are a lot more rock-solid. I've always felt like there's a lot higher standard of TECHNICAL perfection on Nintendo systems, and the DS is no slouch.

That said, the PSP is no PS3, it seems like it actually has some merit. I might pick one up someday, but I've just not heard enough titles to make me that interested... where-as I'm always behind on the latest DS titles. It's the only system, right now, where I feel like there's more great titles than I have time for. My Wii and 360 are sitting unused most of the time, my DS is getting a lot of love recently.

I'm giving my current DS to my girlfriend, and buying a used one off of another friend for cheap. She's absolutely loving the point-and-click adventures like Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright. But she's also enjoying FF6 and some of the RPGs as well.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 01:36:48 PM »

Quote from: "Jet16"
Well, if you have to choose one, I'd say PSP. [La la la - part I didn't hear cut out.] Right now I really don't play much of my DS or PSP, but I would easily choose my PSP for its added collection of PS1 games. Really, either one is fine. They're both turning out to be great handhelds.

This is what I came here to say.  Can't really go wrong either way, but I prefer the PSP.  OK - one more note.  Depends on what kind of game you like.  If you're after hacky-slashy things, gotta go with the PSP.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »

The DS has the awesomeness of Castlevania and Phoenix Wright.

The PSP has fanboy wank weeaboo shit like Crisis Core and thirty different Gundam games.

The answer may seem clear, but I'd say fuck both of them and get a GBA if you don't already have one. :P

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »

Quote from: "Kup"
RPGs that I currently have stored away in the attic.

Or, you know.... you could just put CF on your PSP, take your old PS1 games burn them to your computer and then put them on your PSP. Or you can wait for Sony to put them on PSN which would take a while and cost you extra money for a game you already own. It really is as simple as it sounds nowadays.

If you want to play PS1 games on your PSP in addition to the PSP library it has, then get the PSP. If you want to play DS games and are more interested in GBA games than PS1 games, get the DS. It really isn't that hard, you can win either way.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
The answer may seem clear, but I'd say fuck both of them and get a GBA if you don't already have one. :P

But the DS can play GBA games! It's missing Backwards Compatibility to the GB/C but that's only relevant if you want to play the first three SaGa(FF Legends) games or the DQ1-3 remakes, and 1 and 2 are more historical relics than must plays.

Also, hard to go back to that GBA SP screen after either DS screen, though I believe newer GBA SPs have backlighting comparable to the DS lite.

Personally, I'd go with the DS. A lot more games I've played and liked on that, and there haven't been too many PSP games I've cared for. If you asked just a few weeks ago I'd note the DS's future is far brighter, but the PSP is getting ports of FFXIII Agito and the third Parasite Eve game, so it's worth looking at the future lineups of both and keep them under consideration.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: