Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:09:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329792 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is Planescape: Torment worth playing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is Planescape: Torment worth playing?  (Read 5710 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2008, 01:44:14 PM »

Never got a chance to go through this one when it was released, but I've seen many people online who consider it to be one of the Greatest Games of All Time.

I just moved into a new apartment and I'm out of a job for a couple weeks, so I'm looking for something to waste some time on. Is Planescape: Torment worth it? Convince me.

[/url]
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:20:45 PM »

Do you enjoy computer RPGs?  As awesome as the game is, if you don't already enjoy games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate 2, this game ain't likely to convert you.

Do you like reading giant walls of text?  I hope so, because that's what this game is about.  Combat is there, but it's nowhere near as important as it is in other RPGs.

Do you like having your hand held every step of the way through a game, or can you handle being thrown off the deep end with a vague clue or two to guide you along?  If it's the former, you'll be in a world of hurt after the first couple of hours of play.

I think the game is one of the best games ever made, but it ain't everybody's cup of tea.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »

I think the biggest thing is the big wall of text.  PS:T has pretty much the best writing out there for an RPG, but other than that a lot of the game is utilitarian in terms of the battle system, for example (which is more or less a cut and paste version of Baldur's Gate with a permanently zoomed in view).  If you like your reading, PS:T has absolutely amazing and creative plots (both the main ones and the many different subplots going on) and characterization.

One nice thing about PS:T is that while it is pretty small for a CRPG, you can play the game pretty much whichever way you want to and win, which means there's quite a bit of replay value there.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »

Awesome writing, can play it however you want, just like Ryos said.  Lots of reading, but if you like reading, it's very worthwhile reading.  One of the only games I know where you can net more XP by talking your way through something than by fighting your way through.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »

How much of a timesink is it? How long is the game?

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:07:27 PM »

Yeah, I'm wondering too. 'Pretty small for a CRPG' makes me think I should stop dicking around and actually play the game.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:57:43 PM »

I wanna say my playthrough was maybe 20-30 hours?  Its been awhile since I played it, so I honestly cant say for sure.  Course it depends on how much you do to cause I missed a few things.  Id say 50 tops if that.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »

I'd say 20-25 hours would be about right for a first-timer.  For comparison's sake, it'd probably take as long to beat PS:T as it would a game of KotOR or Mass Effect.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 01:16:31 AM »

Check this shit out if you plan on playing either Planescape or Baldur's Gate. Found it originally on one of the 1UP blogs, and it made playing Planescape much more enjoyable, if only because I could see more than a minuscule portion of the screen at a time. That doesn't mean I actually played the game for more than 30 minutes, but it was better than the 30 minutes I had played previously.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 02:12:58 AM »

I don't like Bioware's RPGs for the reason that they sort of throw a lot of crap at you at once. PS:T mainly does this with tons of NPCs and tons of text. BG2 lobs sidequests at you everywhere you go. Yes, Morrowind IS a bit boring at time but it's also a lot less stressful.

By Bioware, I mean the things using the infinity engine. I have no idea which companies made which since Interplay's RPG department never made any sense to begin with.

Basically though, Torment IS well written, but it's got a lot of text. I honestly never got that far in it because reading text in textboxes is sort of exhausting for me.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/147991080_5aeb93d669.jpg?v=0

White text on a brown background in a tiny box at the bottom of the screen, which isn't even remotely eye-level. I seem to recall longer conversations have bigger screens but still that stuff drives me insane.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »

It's also awesome if you like Dungeons and Dragons at all as Planescape is arguably the best setting the series has ever had. Screw Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms.

That being said I've never actually finished it myself. Since my current computer seems to think that Diablo 2 is a bit much for it maybe I'll go dig it out of a box somehwere.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 10:48:40 AM »

It's also awesome if you like Dungeons and Dragons at all as Planescape is arguably the best setting the series has ever had. Screw Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms.

*cough eberron owns all cough*

But yeah, for me, I read alot of novels, so "walls of text" are fine for me.  I like a fleshed out story, even if its full of cliches, more than almost anything else.

So I honestly say go for it.  Theres an offchance you will dislike it, and if so, well then that sucks for you cause I enjoyed it greatly.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »

Well yeah but as I said, it's not just "wall of text" but "wall of text with a sort of poor font choice in an oddly positioned and botheringly small box."

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Well yeah but as I said, it's not just "wall of text" but "wall of text with a sort of poor font choice in an oddly positioned and botheringly small box."

Hm, this is sort of putting me off.

[/url]
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 07:41:28 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Hm, this is sort of putting me off.

That's what it looks like.  The height varies depending on how much an NPC says.  If that's oddly positioned and small, then by God I'll fucking take oddly positioned and small.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: