Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 01:58:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331718 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPG Maker project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: RPG Maker project  (Read 22963 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »

RMVX is only 60 bucks. I think the pricing is pretty honest for what the tool can do. Most other game engines can easily cost above $1000, and you'll have to do extra tuning to make your game workable.

Even if RPGmaker has some 'minor' flaws, it's very flexible. If you are a good coder you can make your own battle system.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »

Most other game engines can easily cost above $1000

Yeah, but you can't really compare RPG Maker to the Unreal Engine or something. They do completely different things and in all fairness the manhours and technical knowhow it takes to make something like RPGMaker are far, far less than what you'd need to make a powerful commercial engine that runs well on a wide range of hardware (and operating systems).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »

outdated info.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:58:58 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 01:11:25 AM »

So Dincrest, you're no more part of RPGfan staff members?

I don't see any other one who could preview/review our game, you seemed the only one to love old-school games, and most of all indie games :)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 01:12:59 AM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"

I don't see any other one who could preview/review our game, you seemed the only one to love old-school games, and most of all indie games :)

Actually he's still a part of the crew, just not as involved as he used to be.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:35:03 AM »

Reading through the press release, I have a few comments. I'm not trying to be hypercritical or anything, but if you ever make a patch, these are just some things I noticed:

* I don't know if the font you used is particularly fitting. It looks like it's just arial or something similar. Is it possible to use a more... unique or attractive font in RPGMaker? Oddly enough, font can go a long way. A generic font tends to make a product look amateurish, whereas a more unique font -- even if it's not specifically created for the project -- can go a long way to making the product look more professional which will, for you, translate to more sales.

* http://www.blossomsoft.com//uploads/EternalEden_demo05.png <- Lines like that sort of concern me. That's not a grammatically correct sentence, and that's not a particularly natural sounding sentence. Have you had an outside proofreader go over this? It might not seem like a big deal, but things like improper comma usage and lots of little grammar errors can make the product look unprofessional, and make potential buyers question whether or not the game as a whole is polished.

* In regards to the press release itself, you still haven't really explained what makes your game unique. I don't know if that's necessarily what a press release is for, I guess, but if you give a more detailed summary later, here are some things I'd keep in mind. You talk a lot about how you think it's good, but other than the Light and Dark Dimensions you bring up, I still really don't have a feel for what makes your game special -- why I'd want to play it. You mention that the player can acquire new skills. Why not talk a little about how the skill system works? You also mention Lufia-styled puzzles earlier, if I remember correctly, but those are also barely mentioned. Also, the two dimensions seem to be a pretty big deal, but they're relegated to the last couple of paragraphs at the end, and there's not much detail on them. So, maybe consider your main selling point. You do bring up an appeal to nostalgia quite a bit, and while that CAN work to an extent, it's hard to make it your only or main point. If you do, potential buyers might wonder why they should buy your old-school styled game instead of just re-playing old-school games they already own.

What is your personal favorite aspect of the game, that you can discuss without spoilers? What do you feel that you guys spent the most time on? What particular feature do you think will be most memorable to the players?

Another thing to keep in mind: When describing the story line, discuss how the story elements relate to the gameplay elements. This is, again, where the puzzles and dimension-crossing elements would come into play. Don't discuss the story and the gameplay as detached elements. Time travel in Chrono Trigger was a plot device, but what made it so cool was that it also had a gameplay-related effect in a lot of places. I'm assuming that your game works the same way, so focus on that.

Additionally, avoid using too many superlatives. People tend to be wary if it sounds like you're overselling the product. I'm sure your game really IS good, but years of crappy paper towels by brands like Homebest have made people cynical ;)

Finally, a brief comment about the... hm... layout, there. You have a small number of paragraphs with a lot of information in each paragraph. It's a bit disorganized. Have an opening blurb, a paragraph summarizing the story (and characters, which your current press release doesn't really do), a paragraph that gives a brief description of the setting, locations, or something, a paragraph that briefly describes the gameplay as a whole, two to three paragraphs that give a brief description of your favorite gameplay systems (or most sellable, or what would resonate the most with players), and then a closing summary. Throughout this, make sure you're clear and concise.

o/` I do not dream o/`

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 03:58:58 AM »

Thank you for the analysis Metalmesh.

I fixed that error on that screenshot, I'm so angry I haven't noticed it myself, especially when it's on a promotional screenshot.

At the end of a project everyone is so exhausted, it's not an easy thing to fix all mistakes to perfection, and awareness tends to suffer.

Next project is certainly going to be on a next level.

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Finally, a brief comment about the... hm... layout, there. You have a small number of paragraphs with a lot of information in each paragraph. It's a bit disorganized. Have an opening blurb, a paragraph summarizing the story (and characters, which your current press release doesn't really do), a paragraph that gives a brief description of the setting, locations, or something, a paragraph that briefly describes the gameplay as a whole, two to three paragraphs that give a brief description of your favorite gameplay systems (or most sellable, or what would resonate the most with players), and then a closing summary. Throughout this, make sure you're clear and concise.

I'm confused, are you talking about my initial post on this forum or the actual press release?

As far as I know a press release is only there to tell that company_x is making product_y, it is generally not making a full synopsis of a project with complete detail. But that's my first press release, next one is going to be a lot better.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 07:28:23 AM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"

Blace is right.  Yes, I left the RPGFan staff back in May but was convinced in June to come back as a contributing editor, as my green bar indicates.  I have a review of another indie PC RPG title in the works, but I'm not at liberty to say what it is.  

I do love indie gaming, but believe me there are others on staff who are even more into old-school RPGs than I am.

Eden's looking good.  I respectfully disagree with Mesh in that I like the font.  It looks good to me and, most importantly, it's readable.  Perhaps being an old fogey with bad eyesight, I'll take large sized, readable fonts over ye olde English and/or the kind of tiny font used in Gust titles.  

http://www.blossomsoft.com//uploads/EternalEden_demo08.png But, man, this screenshot is just begging for a snarky caption.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »

Okay truthfully I'm just not used to old-school-style RPGs that don't have chunky, pixelly fonts.

:(

o/` I do not dream o/`

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 02:14:04 AM »

outdated info.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:59:51 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »

Thanks for the memories of Bogatyr in that thread.  He was definitely one of our more memorable trolls.  Feisty son of a submariner, he was.

And what can I say?  Eternal Eden struck a chord with me.  I couldn't stop playing it.   

2008's been a very good year for both old and new school gaming.  The World Ends with You and Persona 4 are fantastic new-school JRPGs that are quite forward thinking.  For the old school, we had killer remakes/rereleases of FF4, Star Ocean, and Chrono Trigger.  And go figure, my favorite graphic adventure of the year, A Vampyre Story, was a decidedly old-school cartoony one, the likes I hadn't seen since Grim Fandango. 

Even with the indie scene, we've seen the gamut from the super old-school PC RPGing of Mount & Blade to the very modern stylings of Iffermoon.  I think it's cool that we're in an era of gaming where everyone gets a place at the table.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 09:06:28 AM »

outdated info.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:00:14 PM by blackthirteen » Logged
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »

I believe earlier this year, a Shadowgate-esque game called Theresia was released on DS.  It fell insanely under the radar.  Even I didn't know about it till somewhat recently.  I never got to play it so I have no clue if it's any good or not. 

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »

It definitely grab my attention.

This game seems to exist only in shadow siince there are almost no coverage. From what I can see, it looks great.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »

Other suggestions, the Blackwell Series:

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games.html

I tried them, and it's very good. It reminds me of Zack McKraken and Maniac Mansion during the 1980s. I worked for this guy as a freelance last year, very nice guy.

I can't wait for Black Sigil as well. I've talked to Pierre (creator of the game) a lot on MSN. He is living not too far from my city. He has shown me his game engine and I can tell with certitude that his game is going to be great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: