Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329237 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Megahyper Summer Olympics Thread O'Awesome
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The Megahyper Summer Olympics Thread O'Awesome  (Read 11798 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:08:03 PM »

I'll be honest, I didn't even know the shit was going on until this morning. :P

While I definitely prefer the Winter Olympics (mainly because the idea of cold and snow is so exotic to me :P), the Summer Olympics is a prime time to celebrate the joys of athleticism, sportsmanship, and crushing failure.  Keep up to date here.

Being that it's still early, there isn't a whole lot to talk about yet.  I did find the little Chinese woman weightlifter to be interesting, though.  She doesn't exactly have the broad shouldered mongoloid look you would expect. :P

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »

Only thing I've heard about so far is the Chinese dude killing American tourists related to some dude/trainer/coach(I don't know) from the U.S. Olympic team.
Dangerous Person
AMG A GIRL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »

Damn, I know. That was messed up.

What pissed me off is that the piece of crap decides to attack and kill people, and then the douche kills himself, too, by jumping off a balcony. Makes my blood boil.

Anyway, I watched a U.S. vs Japan women's soccer game at five this morning. Pretty entertaining. I don't know much about soccer, but I love competition of any kind, so it was easy to enjoy. I picked up a lot from listening to the commentators, and I might start following the sport more.

Post-breakup Kermit covers Chevelle, darkness ensues!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/medals?eventId=137

AMERICAN WOMEN KICK ASS AT SABRE FENCING.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »

I'm all over the Olympics this year and I don't even know why. I sat here and watched the ENTIRE Canada vs. China women's soccer this morning for some reason as well as some bicycle racing and the Canadian men's gymnastic shit. This is unheard of for me. I must say though that the opening ceremonies were insanely impressive. The "moveable type" box people blew my mind.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dangerous Person
AMG A GIRL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »

I sat in on an awesome badminton game right after the U.S. beat Japan 1-0. ;)

kILLeR.

No, actually, it was impressive. All in the wrist! What the hell am I doing on the comp?

Post-breakup Kermit covers Chevelle, darkness ensues!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »

I caught some swimming as well.  Michael Phelps is living up to the hype.  

As much as I may disagree with most of the bullshit politics surrounding the games these days, the Olympics is still a time to see the world's best athletes competing in sports I would otherwise never get to see on television, like fencing.  

It's like with the Tour De France.  The politics surrounding it is bullshit, but at its heart it's the ultimate bicycle race through some of the most beautiful countryside in Europe.  

I'm looking forward to seeing some mountain biking.  That's become one of my favorite Olympic events since it was introduced at the Atlanta games.

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »

Who caught the opening ceremony. It was pretty damn impressive.

Oh yeah, and you know, sport.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 06:46:56 PM »

I watched some Fencing, it was interesting but since I know so little about it and the pace was so fast I found it hard to follow.

Indoor Volleyball was awesome, as was Soccer, but thus far my favorite sport that I've watched has been Badminton.  I've never seen it at this level of competition before and it was pretty impressive to watch.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »

Man, who knew the Chinese air was so deadly to foreigners.  That's all they fucking talked about when the cyclists were going at it earlier.  I would have chalked it up to whining losers had there not been so many complaints. :P

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »

It's been in the news for a while before the Olympics started.  The air in Beijing is heavily polluted.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 08:32:57 PM »

Beijing is one of the most smoggy and polluted cities in the world, but then again, as a cycling enthusiast myself, even in the rural part of New Jersey I go riding in I still have to share the road with cars so I'm practically fellating exhaust pipes.  

If any of you read Calvin & Hobbes, you'll know that Calvin's dad is an avid cyclist and rants about how "cyclists have a right to the road too you noisy overpolluting road hogs!  I hope gas goes up to 8 bucks a gallon!"

Reading: TBD

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 08:54:14 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Beijing is one of the most smoggy and polluted cities in the world, but then again, as a cycling enthusiast myself, even in the rural part of New Jersey I go riding in I still have to share the road with cars so I'm practically fellating exhaust pipes.  

If any of you read Calvin & Hobbes, you'll know that Calvin's dad is an avid cyclist and rants about how "cyclists have a right to the road too you noisy overpolluting road hogs!  I hope gas goes up to 8 bucks a gallon!"

Reminds me of the new FreeCreditReport.com commercial in which the dude traded in his used subcompact for a bicycle.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 09:06:51 PM »

I really wish I caught more of the opening ceremony than like.. a minute. :P I saw the female Chinese weightlifter, and.. like two minutes of gymnastics. Whoo.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »

Beijing is a shithole and if the athletes had any conscience, they wouldn't even be there.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: