Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 12:30:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334760 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Megahyper Summer Olympics Thread O'Awesome
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The Megahyper Summer Olympics Thread O'Awesome  (Read 11877 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »

Jason Lezak sure shut those arrogant Frenchie's mouths in the men's 400 meter relay (swimming) last night.  That was exciting.

That makes two golds for Mike Phelps.  Will he meet or beat Mark Spitz's gold medal record?  That's the nail-biter of the Olympics right there for me

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
You've obviously never been mobbed by kids who have been trained to beg from foreign tourists by their parents. Beijing is a shithole.

I never said anything about Beijing not sucking. I do realize that Beijing is one of the worst polluted and screwed up (more advanced) cities in the world, but you shouldn't act surprised when people flame you for saying something with the specific intention of pissing people off. There are plenty of other people in this thread who criticize Beijing and I don't mind because they're not being obnoxious asses about it.

Oh right. Olympics.

I watched Swimming, and I laughed at how the Chinese team were wearing Sharkskin or whatever. It's fine to be super-competitive and want to win, but I doubt that's going to be making a difference. Personally, I think it was just a placebo.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »

I like it when America loses. It's called "schadenfreude."

Some people thing I like using german words because I'm pretentious but it's really just the result of studying german for so damn long and I can't even speak that crazy-ass language.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Jason Lezak sure shut those arrogant Frenchie's mouths in the men's 400 meter relay (swimming) last night.  That was exciting.

That makes two golds for Mike Phelps.  Will he meet or beat Mark Spitz's gold medal record?  That's the nail-biter of the Olympics right there for me

It truly was one of the greatest sports moments of the year.

JP
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 05:02:55 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I like it when America loses. It's called "schadenfreude."

Some people thing I like using german words because I'm pretentious but it's really just the result of studying german for so damn long and I can't even speak that crazy-ass language.

Halt die Fresse.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »

I missed the opening ceremonies except for a few things. I saw some whales and some people walking sideways on a giant ball thing.

I've been watching the swimming, and Nan likes the gymnastics. I was pissed because I turned them off last night to play some Abyss and missed the damn relay win. Watched it in Youtube this morning but its not the same.
I'll turn them on every night to whats on. I normally enjoy the track and field stuff, too.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dangerous Person
AMG A GIRL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »

It was awesome to see Lezak beat them damn smack-talkin' French.

By a fingertip.

So close, yet so far, you weasels. Next time, just swim. You can lose with more grace that way. -ends snarkiness fueled by national pride-

Yeah, I'm gonna be gigglin' about that for a while.

Post-breakup Kermit covers Chevelle, darkness ensues!
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »

Quote from: "Raze"
Also, I almost had a heartattack when US women's Nastia Liukin fell from the uneven bars. Right on the dismount too, dang.

I'd feel bad for them when it happens, but I probably wouldn't have been watching if it weren't for a chance to see people fall on their ass.

It doesn't usually shock me so much, but I was hoping the US would pull off the routine flawlessly and I pretty much thought they had... then she lands and falls straight on her back. Nooo!!

Quote from: "jphussey"

It truly was one of the greatest sports moments of the year.

Right on!

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »

After watching a bit of synchronized swimming while eating the evening meal, I couldn't help but think that shit has to be the most boring thing in the world to train for.  Climb up, jump off, climb out, repeat ad nauseam.  I realize training isn't really supposed to be balls out fun and joy, but come on. :P

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 09:05:49 PM »

Hey, Rocky made it look epic.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 09:07:57 PM »

One man's fun is another man's boredom.  After all, we spend countless hours pushing the same four face buttons on a game controller.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
One man's fun is another man's boredom.  After all, we spend countless hours pushing the same four face buttons on a game controller.

Or in the case of an MMO like WoW, 1 button on end for hours.  If you're lucky, 2-4.

Anyways, I never used to be that interested in the Olympics but this year I'm really enjoying watching it.  Also, smoggy or not, Beijing looks like a pretty cool city.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »

Only thing I want the U.S. to lose in is basketball. Shit made me laugh back in '04.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »

As I mentioned before, one thing I really like about the Olympics is that it gives me an opportunity to see televised sports that usually don't get televised.  I caught a brief glimpse of women's kayaking and that was cool since you hardly see kayaking on TV.  Gymnastics, basketball, and swimming get the most coverage since the most hyped/recognized Olympians are in those sports.  And Michael Phelps is flippin' awesome.

But though there are cool sports in there (I loved mountain biking when it was first introduced in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics) there are some events that despite the level of skill, athleticism, and even artistry involved that just look kinda silly to me.  I'm sure everyone has some events that they deem silly or even goofy.  Dresage riding, rhythmic gymnastics, syncronized swimming, and syncronized diving are events that I laugh it.  They're doofy to me, but that's just taste I guess.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »

The U.S. Men's soccer team got eliminated...by Nigeria of all countries.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: