Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Megahyper Summer Olympics Thread O'Awesome
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: The Megahyper Summer Olympics Thread O'Awesome  (Read 11875 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2008, 02:00:19 PM »

Why is that shocking?  Nigeria's Team is on par with the US team.  They won the gold medal 8 years ago and came in just behind the US 4 years ago.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »

This is just really fucked up.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »

I don't follow the Olympics or soccer at all, and only found out about it from ESPNews. Nigeria isn't really prestigious in any sports (aside from soccer I guess), so I was surprised, then I laughed.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"

To me it just shows how insular many countries cultures are.  Those folks not even realizing that such a gesture could possibly be offensive to Chinese?  Man, and people chide America and its people for insularity.

And another big story was that the little girl who sang in the opening ceremony was lip synching.  It was a big brouhaha in American media since our culture frowns upon that kind of thing.  Yet in many Asian countries, the ol' switcheroo is common in the culture.  Bollywood does it all the time in movies and I'm sure Japan does it with some of its idol singers.  China being as insular as it is didn't realize it would become such a big deal since in their minds it's something normal.  

G.W. Bush was certainly correct in his interview with Bob Kostas the other day (I was impressed with Bush in that interview; in the 11th hour of his presidency, he showed graceful insight and intelligence.  I'm a Democrat/liberal to the core but even I have to give props where props are due.)  The Olympics should be an opportunity to open up to various world views and become less insular.

...heh, I guess insularity may be why I don't get to see kayaking or judo or other unique events on TV.  Probably because it airs when I'm asleep and it's not part of the American hype machine.  Didn't one of the US women claim bronze in judo?  I think one of the US women claimed a gold in cycling as well.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"

Interesting fact about the Spanish team that the article doesn't mention.  They are sponsored by Li Ning Footwear a company founded by Li Ning(who would've thought) who happened to be the final torchbearer of the opening ceremony.  Also the team has questioned the "big fuss" over the article with Gasol saying they intended to inspire Olympic spirit.  So freaking dumb.  He should just stick to playing ball and keep his mouth shut.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-wrestling&prov=reuters&type=lgns

More Olympic douchebaggery.  His own country even booed him.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-wrestling&prov=reuters&type=lgns

More Olympic douchebaggery.  His own country even booed him.

They should have stripped him of that medal right on the fucking spot.  If you can't appreciate the honor, you don't deserve the honor.

Dangerous Person
AMG A GIRL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 01:46:39 AM »

What a scumbag. How inconsiderate to the other winners, who just want to celebrate a significant moment in their lives. And I'm sure there's someone who would have appreciated the bronze medal he threw away like it was a piece of trash.

On a much more awesome note, I just watched Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson take home the gold and silver medals in the women's gymnastics all-around.  

Which kicked ass. :D

Post-breakup Kermit covers Chevelle, darkness ensues!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 09:08:56 AM »

I have some issues with the new scoring system in gymnastics.  As a layman spectator, when I watch gymnastics I want to see elegance, grace, and perfection and instead all I see these games is falling, more falling, botched landings, and generally sloppy gymnastics.  I'm flabbergasted that a gymnast who falls gets a higher score than one who doesn't.  

From what I understand with the new scoring system, degree of difficulty is a bigger part of the score than before.  So if a gymnast has a 10 degree of difficulty but a 7 on execution s/he gets 17 points.  If a gymnast has a 5 degree of difficulty but a perfect 10 on execution, s/he only gets 15 points.  Some of the Romanian gymnasts were doing so well in my eyes, nailing their routines, sticking their landings, and displaying solid and consistent gymnastics but they didn't even place because their routines were deemed not difficult.  

So although I understand that, yes, these gymnasts are often overreaching their abilities with difficult routines, all most spectators will see is WTF sloppy gymnastics and go "what kind of standards are these when a gymnast who falls gets more points and medals than one who doesn't?"  And of course, there's the controversy of biased judging, i.e. Nastia Liukin nailing that one vault and getting a low score.

Maybe that's why I like the simplicity of track or swimming.  Whoever crosses the finish line first or throws the javelin the farthest is the winner, no questions asked, no confusion.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »

I have some issues with the new scoring system in gymnastics.  As a layman spectator, when I watch gymnastics I want to see elegance, grace, and perfection and instead all I see these games is falling, more falling, botched landings, and generally sloppy gymnastics.  I'm flabbergasted that a gymnast who falls gets a higher score than one who doesn't.  

From what I understand with the new scoring system, degree of difficulty is a bigger part of the score than before.  So if a gymnast has a 10 degree of difficulty but a 7 on execution s/he gets 17 points.  If a gymnast has a 5 degree of difficulty but a perfect 10 on execution, s/he only gets 15 points.  Some of the Romanian gymnasts were doing so well in my eyes, nailing their routines, sticking their landings, and displaying solid and consistent gymnastics but they didn't even place because their routines were deemed not difficult.  

So although I understand that, yes, these gymnasts are often overreaching their abilities with difficult routines, all most spectators will see is WTF sloppy gymnastics and go "what kind of standards are these when a gymnast who falls gets more points and medals than one who doesn't?"  And of course, there's the controversy of biased judging, i.e. Nastia Liukin nailing that one vault and getting a low score.

Maybe that's why I like the simplicity of track or swimming.  Whoever crosses the finish line first or throws the javelin the farthest is the winner, no questions asked, no confusion.

I agree, there were a couple of scores that just surprised the hell out of me. The fact that the girl that got 3rd place got a similar score to Nastia in a couple of the events but had some less than stellar performances while Nastias were spot on baffles me. I am glad the Chinese gymnast got a medal, because her performances were good. I am even more glad that Nastia and Shawn got the Gold and Silver because their performances were just better.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »

I fell asleep for an unknown period (I was tired, not because I was bored) but from what I saw of the Russians, they had one really good one as well.  

I see what you mean about the scoring, but it's certainly easier to nail an easier move with less difficulty so that's why they score it like that I guess.  I really never look at the values other than the score itself, but aren't most difficulties within a point of each other (usually)?

edit: fully agree with Daggerstrike.  I was kinda rooting for the russian girl though to at least place.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:45 AM »

Yeah Nastia's Vault score with the stuck landing and pretty much near-perfect execution baffled me. Good for them coming out on top. I secretly wanted Shawn to do something crazy on the floor exercise and have this huge upset where she knocked Nastia to silver. That would have been fun.

But yes, I did feel the judges were a little harsh on the US, while they were very generous with some of China's not-so-stellar performances.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 08:37:24 PM »

T'sao Lei/Cao Lei is a mighty woman. I'm impressed, didn't think the Chinese would do this well in weight lifting.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »

Didja see Phelps' win last night?  That was one exciting race.  He only beat Cavic by 1/100th of a second.

Oh and that douchebag wrestler was stripped of his medal. http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/wrestling/news?slug=ap-wre-medalstripped&prov=ap&type=lgns

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2008, 12:15:40 PM »

So Canada finally gets a medal after seven days. No wait, make that three. Bwuh? Two in women's wrestling (of all things - one gold, too) and one in men's doubles rowing.

Huh. That's more like it...

I guess we have a bunch of chances in rowing... but they said that in Athens and look where that got us =P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: