Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:04:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330166 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Wii 100% backwards compatible with GameCube?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Wii 100% backwards compatible with GameCube?  (Read 2051 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »

Oh wow haha I meant the PS3. But nevertheless that kinda shows what I mean, the BC on the best BC units, 20/60 gig PS3s, can have little issues crop up if not major bugs. FFXII had a sound that plays when accessing save games play incorrectly, Suikoden Tactics can outright lock up during the intro on the 20/60 units, and Mega Man Legends has a slight desynching with VA and animation that kinda screws up one of the neater aspects of the game and makes me prefer playing it on the PS2. Admittedly I've used the GC on far fewer games but I haven't been able to find any issues, at worst it's comparable to the GBA/PS1 BC.

Edit: Wrong issue for Suikoden Tactics.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
I think Eusis meant PS3, the BC of which is lacking now and will soon be nonexistant.

Just to clarify, all PS3's play PS1 games.  So nonexistant isn't quite the word for it. :P

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 02:52:43 AM »

Ohh. Yeah, fair enough. The 40GB can't even play PS2 games dammit! But otherwise, it isn't too bad. You can also create a memory card on the hard drive to save PS1 games (and PS2 for the 20?, 60 and 80).

I also tried playing FFVII on the PS3 a while back, and for some reason it just didn't seem as good as it was on the PS1 or PS2.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
PhoenixFire

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 11:52:27 AM »

Yeah if you want a good BC PS3 you have to get the 60GB model, or maybe the 20GB. The only issue is that both have been discontinued and are slightly hard to find (especially new). The new 80GB PS3 is BC by emulation, which means it's BC, but does experience problems with some PS2/PS1 titles. The 40GB model dropped BC altogether, both by hardware (20/60GB), and my software (emulation, 80GB). The 40GB can run PSOne games though.

I did a quick search on wikipedia to confirm the Wii's BC and found this:

Quote from: "Wikipedia"
The Wii is backward compatible with all games from the previous Nintendo system, the Nintendo GameCube, due to it being based on the PowerPC, the same base as the latter. It is compatible with GameCube controllers and memory cards but not with other peripherals such as the Game Boy Player.

So basically the Wii and the GameCube use the same processor (the PowerPC), and therefore should both be 100% backwards compatible.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: