Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 07:00:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338609 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Star Trek Online
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 2249 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »

First trailer is up at www.gamevideos.com and looks impressive.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:39:50 PM »

I agree.  Ive been reading a bit about it, and I am wary about some things, such as player created races, if they are gonna be like contests to decide if they will be added by the devs, or if you can just create any race you want..like giant vagina heads with penis hands or something, cause you know if they could players would create that.  Also the whole everyone has a starship thing is kinda...a shame.

It would make more sense if a ship was like a guild house or something, with guild members making up the crew.  But from what it sounds like, everyone gets a ship, picks their crew who are like npc pets, etc.  Im sure it will still work, but I guess ill have to wait and see.

Still I will follow with reserved enthusiasm.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
\
It would make more sense if a ship was like a guild house or something, with guild members making up the crew.  But from what it sounds like, everyone gets a ship, picks their crew who are like npc pets, etc.  Im sure it will still work, but I guess ill have to wait and see.

Still I will follow with reserved enthusiasm.

I assumed people were going to be a crew together....hmmmm.

Not sure what to think.

I am interested in the space exploration part of it.

Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »

Same, and the new worlds and stuff, I mean if they can fill them up with alot of areas and quests, and not like just a small area with some quests and off to another world, then itll be cool.

And Im pretty sure from what Ive read that teaming up with others will be called a fleet.  Or guilds are called fleets.  I honestly cant remember.  And for factions, to begin, is Klingon and Starfleet, which seems kinda strange to me, since Klingons im pretty sure only have Klingons in their fleet, whereas Starfleet has a ton of different races so it just seems kinda strange.  They said they plan on adding other factions down the line, like romulans and stuff, but I just see most people picking Starfleet (it might be named something else, united federation of planets or whatever).

Guess there just isnt alot of for sure info yet, but Cryptic is a good developer, imho, so I think they can make it work whatever they do.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:58:30 AM »

They obviously won't be letting in player controller Borg or everyone would choose that.

I would probably pick Romulan, just for fun.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:31:04 AM »

The actual universe of Star Trek has never been that interesting to me. Star Trek has some good episodes and movies, but I was only ever interested in the internal conflicts of the characters and the point of the story.

Sometimes I wish people wouldn't focus on the actual universe of Star Trek so much, that's what led to the TNG film franchise continuously churning out crapfests.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:34:32 PM »

It would make more sense if a ship was like a guild house or something, with guild members making up the crew.

There is something to be said for letting you be the ships Picard and not the ships Ensign Crusher. Still, a guild making up a crew would have been badass.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »

The first iteration of STO had it so that the crew was made up of players but since the switch of hand, that idea was scraped for a more player friendly/casual approach to the MMO genre.

Yes, being a huge guild on a single ship would have been pretty cool, but as for it being a good game? Probably not. Maybe 20 ships total on either side an MMO it does not make. From a designer perspective, I'm glad they went this route.

But come on, I'm not holding my breath for a good game from the people who brought me City of Heroes and Champions Online...I mean, really?
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:53 PM »

Youve got a point Kiem, a very good one.

And you dont have faith in Cryptic?  I thought they did a decent job with CoH/V, and Champions looks interesting.  Then again super heroes are a far cry from Star Trek.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: