Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 02:48:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329258 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Dating people younger than yourself
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Dating people younger than yourself  (Read 6117 times)
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »

I'm in the middle of a situation where I'm getting different opinions from different friends about the possibility of dating a girl that some consider too young for my age. The two of us are just friends but I've been through the whole song and dance before and I can see that it's likely that should be both wish to pursue it we might end up in a relationship.

To clarify the age difference, in two months I'll be 26 and she'll be 19 which normally I would raise an eyebrow at but I mean I have friends that are almost 40 dating girls in their very early 20s (I also have friends that would score a 9/5 for the horrible out of 5 thread :P). I had a cousin that at 14 was dating a 26 year old, that was just completely wrong in my books but there's some that might not think so.

Also at 20 I was dating a 29 year old so this won't even be the largest age gap in a relationship I've ever been in. Almost though :P

Now this isn't a "what should I do" thread, I'm just letting whatever happen happen as I don't feel the need to rush anything or ruin a good friendship over trying to get together but I'm just wondering what people's opinions are for relationships and age ranges because just everything that's going on is making me think about it.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »

I don't think people truly mature until 25ish, guys and girls.

I tried dating a girl that was 19 when I was 25, and I tried to convince myself that she was mature, responsible etc, when in reality she was a typical immature confused 19yr old.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »

Don't you know the formula?:

(Your age / 2) + 7 = the youngest age you're allowed to date without being a pervert

And since (26 / 2) + 7 = 20, congratulations on being a pervert.

Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:00:01 PM »

Seems like I always like the girls that're one year younger than the formula allows.  Shit.

Anyway, 7 years difference is nothing, assuming the younger is legal.  And her clock won't yet be ticking so loud that you can hear it.  Bonus.  :P

PhoenixFire

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »

"Love knows no age..."

Not saying any age is appropriate for any age, but if there's real love between two people, age should not be a concern.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »

Is it wrong for a 90 year old man to love a foetus?

Code:
Yes. Yes it is.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »

Age is mostly irrelevant in terms of maturity.  As long as she's legal and you get along, to hell with with an age difference, imho.  Unless you're like 50 years older, in which case it's gross and you should be shot. :P

But seriously, I knew a lot of guys and gals just about done with college that I never would have guessed if I wouldn't have known just because they acted like they were 16-year-old teens.  And I have an uncle who's like 50 who acts like some 18-year-old brat who just joined the military.  I have been more or less the same level of "maturity" since I was 10, so yeah, people do mature at different speeds (and some never do at all...).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »

19 and 26 isn't too bad.

But is she in college?  I don't know anything about the girl, but could you handle her doing the whole party thing without you (im assuming you wouldn't be going and that she parties)?

That would be my only issue with that.  Some people do crazy shit when they're at a party and drunk/high.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 03:19:09 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

(Your age / 2) + 7 = the youngest age you're allowed to date without being a pervert

What if you're 14? When I was 14, I dated a girl that was 13. By that equation, that'd make me a pervert....
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 03:19:59 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

This equation is flawed.

Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »

>>perl -e "print 26/2 + 7"

Looks fine to me.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »

It's not flawed mathematically. It's flawed on a conceptual level. In let's say, five years, the ages will be 31 and 24.

31/2 + 7 = 22, rounded down. So somehow in the next five years he turns from pervert into not pervert.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 04:15:07 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
It's not flawed mathematically. It's flawed on a conceptual level. In let's say, five years, the ages will be 31 and 24.

31/2 + 7 = 22, rounded down. So somehow in the next five years he turns from pervert into not pervert.

You're not factoring in the maturity of the chick.  As he ages, so does she.  The effect of the age gap lessens.

You don't see people talk shit about a 40-year-old man fucking a 30-year-old girl, but you will if that guy happens to be seventy.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »

While love knows no age is true, reality trumps love.

People in their mid 20's are probably worried about their career, if they're happy with their job, how to support themselves, maybe getting married and when to have kids.

A 19 year old, in most cases, is only worrying about what color cell phone and ring tone to get, and what classes they can sign up for without having to get up at 8am.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »

My personal rule is I'd only ever go two years in either direction. Luckily my girlfriend is only like two months older than me, so I have no real problem.

Freshman year of college there was a girl who was apparently interested in me, but she was like 23 and kinda creepy, so I just tried to avoid her until she set her sights on somebody else.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: