Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 04:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329992 Posts in 13523 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Baten Kaitos?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Baten Kaitos?  (Read 4806 times)
PhoenixFire

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »

For some reason this caught my eye the other day I I searched EBGames.com and found it and it's prequel for only $30 total, and I'm really tempted to try it out. I've read quite a few reviews but they seem to range all over the place. Some say the story is great others say it's subpar, some say the characters are flat and others say they are dynamic.

When it comes to RPG's I prefer a strong, robust story with plot-twists and good character development (that is, they change throughout the story), over a fancy battle system. That being said the battle system can't be crap.

What do you think? Should I buy it?
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »

I own both and I've only beaten the first one (Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean), but I liked it for what it was. It really depends on if you like a card-battling system or not. The graphics are great, the characters suck, the story takes a long time to get good, Sakuraba actually has some good music, and the ending is the longest I've ever sat through.

Most people say Origins is better, though I've yet to play it, since I'm too lazy to plug my Gamecube back in and I don't think I can beat a 70 hour game in a week and a half.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:37:39 PM »

I can only speak for the first game, because I only need to be burned once.

It's garbage.  But hey, since you like

plot-twists

then you might want to give it a shot, since it has a memorable one.  Memorable for all the wrong reasons, but memorable nonetheless.  

And I readily admit that my opinion might be totally different had I paid the low price you prepared to shell out. :P

PhoenixFire

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:37:53 PM »

All the reviews say the second is worse, but somehow I had a feeling it seemed better. So the characters are really bad? I think I'll purchase it and see how it is, it's only $9.99. I personally don't care if it's generic, I kind of the like the generic RPG character stereotypes.

Thanks for the input.

Edit:

Bad plot twist eh? As bad as Star Ocean: 3? Nothing could be as bad or as lackluster as that, I think.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »

I liked what I played a lot but I never really felt compelled to play it for some reason. I always INTEND to. I mean, it's card based, but the battles are non random so the fact they're slow doesn't matter so much, and it's not really card based in the traditional sense. It's sort of hard to describe, but kinda neat. Setting is gorgeous.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:43:37 PM »

The first one had a plot twist midway through the game that was great at first, and had a huge amount of potential if it was done right, but it wasn't. After that they did one twist after another that was just more and more horrible, culminating in the final surprise boss fight and another poorly done story twist.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

The plot twist was good, but they gave up on it after a few hours, and then it was as if it never really happened.

As for the reviews, the big sites gave the original an undeserved high score while giving the second a lower score, while it is the opposite for smaller sites and RPG-centric boards like this one.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »

The formula for everything in the game works.
Graphics, battle system, sound, and the story will carry you through to the end.  The game has enough innovation to keep it interesting, and enough old school elements to make it feel cozy and comfy.

The plot twist totally works, the voice acting for the first one is god-awful, and the sequel improves upon everything you hated about the first.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »

I'd say it's worth $10 bucks, easy. The story is kinda a bore but the rest of the game was very appealling. The art design, music, gameplay, all pretty high caliber, IMO. I bought it nearly full price and don't regret it.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »

They're both decent games. I'm not into card based battle systems, but I enjoyed playing it. As everyone said before, it's mostly good in all areas with the story being the only lack luster area. I'd say buy it for the cheap price you're getting it for. But, if you were paying full price for it, there would definitely be better picks. Also, Origins is the superior one.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 07:32:22 AM »

1) Whoever read that the second one is worse needs to play that game. BKO is probably one of the better RPGs I've played in terms of characterisation, and at the same time I enjoyed both the story and the battle system. Excellent RPG all around, and definitely better than the first.

2) BK itself isn't really all that bad, but it does suffer from being an early Monolith Soft title. Like the first two Xenosagas, it tries to juggle a lot of things and ends up dropping a couple of balls along the way. BKO fixed most of that in the same way XS3 did for the Xenosaga series: Simplify, simplify.

'sides, considering that you can get these games pretty cheap now, just go for it man.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »

Quote from: "PhoenixFire"
All the reviews say the second is worse, but somehow I had a feeling it seemed better. So the characters are really bad? I think I'll purchase it and see how it is, it's only $9.99. I personally don't care if it's generic, I kind of the like the generic RPG character stereotypes.

By "second" do you mean the prequel, BK Origins?

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/batenkaitos/index.html

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/batenkaitosorigins/index.html

I don't know what reviews you're reading, but those that I consider worthwhile (so what if I'm full of myself?) suggest BK Origins is far superior. Because it is.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »

Baten Kaitos (OriginaL) is a decent game with very fun plot twists and an exciting combat system. I would recommend playing through it, It was an RPG that definitely left me very happy in the end.
PhoenixFire

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Quote from: "PhoenixFire"

By "second" do you mean the prequel, BK Origins?

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/batenkaitos/index.html

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/batenkaitosorigins/index.html

I don't know what reviews you're reading, but those that I consider worthwhile (so what if I'm full of myself?) suggest BK Origins is far superior. Because it is.

Yeah I meant the prequel, and I think, as a earlier poster said, reviews from sites that are not RPG-centric like this one tend to be more critical of Origins, while it is, in fact, better.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »

Does 'decent' mean good or bad these days? I'm a bit out of touch. Also, from reading home of the underdogs, "fun" and "good" apparently also mean bad. That site has stupid-ass reviews. Christ.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: