Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 05:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327135 Posts in 13390 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  The favorite video game music composers thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The favorite video game music composers thread  (Read 8532 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »

I figure since we're all gamers here and music is a huge part of the video game experience (some of the 8-bit MegaMan themes were awesome) why not have a thread where we talk about the VGM (video game music) composers that we like and why.  

I'd say my favorite VGM composer, at least right now, is Daisuke Ishiwatari.  He composed the music for the Guilty Gear games.  I first experienced his music with Guilty Gear X2.  Not only is that one of the best 2D fighters ever created, but holy hell is the music amazing.  This is the kind of music I'd always wanted in a fighting game and video games in general.  "Blue Water Blue Sky" from GGX2 is easily one of the best pieces of VGM I've ever heard in my life.  Killer stuff.  

And though the Ys games are generally not my cup of tea, Ryo Yonemitsu and the Falcom JDK band have created some of the best RPG music ever.  With all that smexy guitar work, especially in Ys 3, the Ys series has music that I can truly say flat out ROCKS!  

So who are some of your favorite VGM composers and why?

I approve of this nonsense!
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »

Shoji Meguro, especially the DDS1 OST.  Nearly the whole thing is an ode to the awesomeness of the guitar.

I also enjoy Michiru Yamane's stuff on the Castlevania games.  The Curse of Darkness OST gets some rather heavy rotation in my iPod.

Michiko Naruke's songs are almost always gold.  That Ocarina of Time remix she did for Smash Bros. Brawl is the best new video game song I've heard this year.

While I'm not the biggest Sakuraba fan in the world, I doubt I've listened to any video game soundtrack more than Valkyrie Profile's.  It's damn near perfect.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
Shoji Meguro
Michiko Naruke
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 07:46:21 AM »

I'll probably be the first of many to say Yasunori Mitsuda.

Akira Yamaoka. (Silent Hill)

Junya Nakano (Dewprism and FFX) is another.

Shoji Meguro is another.

I can never remember the names of the Suikoden composers.

Suikoden 2 is probably my favourite game soundtrack of all time.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »

Ooh, a lot of Shoji Meguro love.  Guy's a very versatile composer who always creates modern and unique sound textures compared to many other composers.  But I have to admit that some of his music is love/hate.  Persona 3's soundtrack anyone?  I loved it, but many hated it.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »

I thought the FES soundtrack was a little weak, but the main soundtrack was really good overall.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:03:17 AM »

Izuho Numata and M Nakagaki, because the Phantasy Star IV soundtrack is the best damn soundtrack ever written.

Sakuraba's cool too, even though sometimes his formula gets a little samey samey.

Daisuke Ishiwatari is awesome.

And...  Yeah, DDS had a great soundtrack too.

Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu were great back in their heyday.

I'd name more, but I usually don't remember the actual artists...  I just know what soundtracks rock.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 10:20:57 AM »

Well, I went to Video Games Live last night at Gen-con and it was freaking awesome. They played Diablo 3's music for the first time ever in the US and it was pretty good. The music selection overall was pretty good. They played lots of Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, and Halo. They also played  Kingdom Hearts, Metroid, Lair (wtf?), Warcraft, Castlevania, and a bunch of old school classics. I was a little disappointed that there was no Chrono Cross like the list on gen-con's site said, but overall it was pretty awesome. I recommended they play God of War music because it would have been awesome and people like that franchise (seriously, just replace Lair with it).

Now, favorite composers. Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Koji Kondo, Takeharu Ishimoto, Yoko Shimomura, Misao Senbonji, and probably a few more.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »

Noriyuki Iwadare, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Koichi Sugiyama, Koji Kondo, Yoko Shinomura, Yasunori Mitsuda, Masashi Hamauzu and Motoi Sakuraba.

Most of you will want me dead for saying this but Uematsu=overrated.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »

I wouldn't say he's completely over rated, but I do think he's gone downhill, particularly since FF9.

DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:03:29 PM »

He's really gone downhill since he allowed that Blue Dragon boss battle music to exist.

Not to bash him though. I love his work on FF X and below.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

I'd say my favorite VGM composer, at least right now, is Daisuke Ishiwatari

YES! Daisuke is an amazing composer. I love the Guilty Series as a competitive fighting game, and for it's art and music. One of my favorite game series of all time.

I really loved the #Reload soundtrack too, which was done by the Korean band N.ex.T.

I don't remember the name of the album, but it was comprised of redone tracks from old games, and it included ABAs track for when they released Slash. I the album on my laptop, but have since lost it. =( I need to find it again. That had some of the best Guilty Gear music on there.

I have some other favorite composers for RPGs, but I can't recall their names at the moment. I'll re-post later.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 12:12:34 AM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"

I really loved the #Reload soundtrack too, which was done by the Korean band N.ex.T.

I have that soundtrack.  And yes, it is all kinds of awesome.  It's the Guilty Gear XX #Reload: Korean Version.

afrozombie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:30:23 PM »

Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio), Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu, Michiru Yamane, Koichi Sugiyama, Yasunori Mitsuda, and Masaya Matsuura.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot to put Takeshi Abo on my list.  He's composed the music for KID's flagship visual novel series: Memories Off and Infinity.  Although I'd like to see him get out of his comfort zone regarding his instrumentation and composition, his soundtrack for Ever17 is one of my all time favorite VGM soundtracks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: