Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:46:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331564 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Emotallica.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emotallica.  (Read 1863 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:35:47 AM »

Oh, my God.  I can't believe they did it again.  They promised us real Metal and gave us shite.  Last time it was St Anger, this time it's Trivium.

"Mouth so full of lies"

"Waiting for the one, the day that never comes"

"The sunshine never comes"

Fucking...  Emo.  And I mean, emo and a good sad song are totally different things.  The first Unforgiven was excellent.  But after a few listens...  FUCK.

It's a lot better than St Anger, but it's still worse than Load or Reload.  And that's saying a lot, cause no one but me liked those two albums.

The good: The intro / main theme is alright.  Sounds nothing like Metallica, but it's kinda cool sounding.  The harmony solo at around 5:20 is seriously rocking.

The bad: Lyrics.  My God.  As a lyrics man, this is the worst part.  But the "Thrash" bit at the end is also terrible.  It's like...  They know we want to rock out, but it's so...  Convoluted.  It sounds like they're playing with us.  I'd say they're holding back, but...  It's just...  No.  They forget how to rock.

I'm probably just incredibly jaded since Metallica used to be my favorite band, but I really don't like this song at all.

Thoughts?

(To cleanse your pallet, just listen to the Pyramaze track in the player.  :P)

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:28:59 AM »

Those are the best solos I've heard Kirk Hammett do in a very long time.

It's not enough though.  Fuck that shit.  It sounds just like I expected:  a bunch of old men trying to channel what made them great, but instead just ends up copying themselves.  It's a bad combination of "Fade to Black", "Sanitarium", "One", and some Load-era shit wrapped up in one disjointed mess.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:03:52 AM »

I have nothing more to add that you guys didn't already say.  That song was bad though nowhere near as bad as St. Anger.  Metallica died with the '80s.  I think the only '80s era Bay Area thrash band that's still kicking ass and taking names is Testament.  

That Pyramaze song was f'n awesome, though.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:26:39 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
disjointed

That is totally the word to describe it.

Dezo, I'll agree on Testament.  Their new album fucking rocks.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »

The last one wasn't really good at all. It wasn't as bad as I would figure but not something I wouldn't want to listen to. The new song just released on their website (linky) My Apocalypse isn't that bad though. It's still not as great as people are going on about but it's whole leagues better than the past 10 years of Metallica. Although I hate the start-stop riffing at the start.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »

Holy crap, that's more like it.  But t still has lots of bits that should be cut out.  Like Lars' shit awful drum tone.

It's sad, because if they tried a little harder this song would actually be /good/.

It's like...  Death Magnetic is to Metallica what The World Needs A Hero is to Megadeth.  Well, it's kind of a return to form.  And there's fast playing.  And there're solos.  And it's heavy.  ...But it's still not /good/.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:17:23 PM »

Well if it has a single "Dread and the Fugitive Mind" worthy song then I'll be happy with the new Metallica. I can pretty much say for sure that album is going to get tons of praise because it's not St. Anger and for a lot of people that seems to be enough...

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »

I'm listening to the 6 songs that are available to stream from the website, and I'm liking them a lot. 'Cyanide' is a damn good song.

I'm not a huge Metallica nut, so I'm not really in a position to compare it to their past works. It's obviously no 'Master of Puppets', but it sounds good to these ears.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

Okay...  I have to say, All Nightmare Long and The Unforgiven III are /really fucking good songs/.

A few more listens and I might be persuaded to buy the damn album.

I fucking know, wtf.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: