Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 04:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  I need graphics card recommendations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I need graphics card recommendations  (Read 1929 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:43:58 PM »

So with all this Warhammer is raping DR's computer talk, I've decided a small upgrade to my current system is probably necessary. I'm currently running 1gb of DDR PC3200 ram, upgrading that is dirt cheap, but I'm also running a 3-4 year old Radeon X700 video card. It runs everything else fine, but I KNOW I'm gonna need to bump it up if I really wanna play WAR.

So....with a budget of about $150-200 (or lower if at all possible) what do you guys recommend? I have a PCI-Express slot, but my monitor is a VGA port only.

I have a Fry's in the area and was looking at their site and they have some affordable ones that look great, but they're from brands I am not familiar with, I've only purchased the ATI and nVidia brands in the past; any experiences with Best Data, BFG, or VisionTek? Or am I just better off paying the extra $50-60 and getting the big name?

Thanks.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »

I recall hearing that BFG's reputable, or at least they have a significant presence, but I never heard of or forgot the others - VisionTek SOUNDS familiar, but maybe it's just that generic. Also the VGA shouldn't be an issue, most cards come with DVI to VGA convertors, but you'll want to make sure there. If not then you'd need to hunt down an adapter.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 09:03:22 PM »

Well, first of all BFG and VisionTek make graphics cards for Nvidia. Thought I'd just clear that up.

Anyway, try here:

http://www.nvidia.com/HelpMeChoose/fx/HelpMeChoose.asp I'm too lazy to actually put down names.

By the way, mind posting what else you have?

Processor and Power Supply mainly. You'll bottleneck with an older processor and you won't have enough power with an old power supply. Well I guess I could be thinking too far ahead to newer GFX cards. Also, is your motherboard DDR2 compatible?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »

I'm getting this one for the new machine.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:06:07 AM »

I'm running a 9800 GT at the moment.  Amazing performance, but it runs HOT.  I'm talking 58 C idle temperature, 80 C under load.  The default fan speed (35%) is a little low, increasing it to 70% brought those temperatures down to 50 C and 68 C, respectively.  Anyway, make sure you have a good cooling system if you decide on a new Nvidia card, a little research will go a long way.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:26:48 AM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

And we have a winner!

Oh and as for my power supply, it's newest piece in the computer since the one that came with the case died after three years.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: