Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:17:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319731 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What the hell is up with old movies being made into games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What the hell is up with old movies being made into games?  (Read 897 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »

As the title says, what the hell is up with old movies being made into games? Not long ago The Godfather game was released, based on the 30 year old movie. Before that we had From Russia With Love, based on a 40 year old film Currently games based on Jaws (1975) and Scarface (1983) are in the works, and just today Eidos announced that they are working on a game version of Quentin Tarantino's debut flick Reservoir Dogs (1993). And I haven't even mentioned games like TRON 2.0 or the new Indiana Jones game, or the bucketload of Star Wars and Star Trek (but at least those two franchies have been in popularity for a long, long time).

Obviously there's a trend here. Movie license games isn't anything new, of course, but previously when movie games have been released it's pretty much always been in conjunction with a cinema (or in extreme cases a DVD) release. What we have now is movies that don't really have any "relevance" today, being made into games. Why is this?

Is the game industry running out of fresh ideas? Or are they just hoping that these old and beloved film franchies will help their games sell, making a quick buck on the deal?

In a way it seems like the American entertainmen industry is more and more moving in the direction of rehashing old stuff rather than producing fresh material. Take a look at Hollywood. I can name several movies coming out in the next couple of years that will be either remakes or adaptions of games/comics/books or revivals of old franchises. The Da Vinci Code, Omen, The Hills Have Eyes, OldBoy, Superman Returns and so on and so forth. I'll admit that I haven't keept up with the latest music trends, but covers always seem to make up a big part of what's played on the radio, so it seems like this trend is in effect there too.

It's true that remakes and movie adaptations have always been a part of the entertainment industry, but it seems like it's becoming more and more common these days.

I'm I the only one who is disturbed by this trend? Are we moving towards a future where the majority of entertainment produced will be either sequels, remakes or adaptations? Or am I overreacting, and this is just something temporary?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: