Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 08:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330117 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Xbox 360 price cuts confirmed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Xbox 360 price cuts confirmed  (Read 4893 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:40:53 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
Damn, that Arcade system is VERY tempting. I just wonder if its pointless to get a 360 without a HD. I am NOT an online gamer and will most likely never play anything on line. I may want to purchase the occasional Live Arcade game, though, so do I need the HD for those? Do the games run better with the HD models?
I'll probably end up getting one by the end of the year and am just wondering if I need to fork over the extra hundo.

You do need the HD to download XBLA games (sources tell me that you can't run downloaded games from the memory cards), but it's up to you which
one you pick.  I have an arcade that hasn't been online yet, it works just fine for what i need it to do (play 360 games)

I'm not sure what cache Eusis is talking about.  I know of Unreal tournament 3 can do an install similar to what the PS3 does, but afaik, the systems and load times are the same in terms of regular, disc based games.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »

I've had some people tell me that some games will look better with systems with a HDD as the game will cache data to the drive to improve performance.

I bought an elite, only because 100gb is awesome.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

look better?  That sounds similar to me like someone trying to tell you monster cables will make your games/movies look better than a $5 HDMI cable.

Could be wrong though.  Maybe the draw distance is better but I'm guessing it's not.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »

Release of Infinite Undiscovery + Price Drop = Xbox 360 for me, tomorrow.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
look better?  That sounds similar to me like someone trying to tell you monster cables will make your games/movies look better than a $5 HDMI cable.

Could be wrong though.  Maybe the draw distance is better but I'm guessing it's not.

To be fair, most people don't buy Monster cables for the so-called 'visual experience', but because your pets don't have a damned chance of harming them or themselves.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"

To be fair, most people don't buy Monster cables for the so-called 'visual experience', but because your pets don't have a damned chance of harming them or themselves.

Really?  I never really thought about it that way.  I'm not a pet owner at the moment so what makes them good for people with pets? Extra thickness so you can't chew through them?

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »

Basically. They're too tough for most pets to chew through, unless you have a gnaw-happy bulldog or somesuch. I have quite a few cats, so the monster cables pretty much keep 'em from getting shocked or my systems from needing replacements. :)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 03:43:09 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "GrimReality"
Damn, that Arcade system is VERY tempting. I just wonder if its pointless to get a 360 without a HD. I am NOT an online gamer and will most likely never play anything on line.

I'm the same as you, so I'm wondering which one I'm eventually going to get.

I'm thinking about getting the one with the regular hard drive just for the fact that you can dump games onto the hard drive and play them off that. (Or will be able to soon)

The disc still needs to be in the drive for this to work. You can't play anything without the disc.

It will keep your system from sounding like a helicopter taking off though.

I can hear my xbox three rooms away.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »

(sources tell me that you can't run downloaded games from the memory cards)

What are these sources of your's? Whatever they are mine's better. As for the cache, I'm not sure about necessarily looking better (unless it suffered graphical hitches while loading) but I believe it helps reducing load time. Not all games use it though, for example Mass Effect.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »

Interesting.  I have no sources, it's just something I looked up awhile back and thought I found an answer for.  Maybe it's the external harddrive that you can't play games from since I was looking to buy one of those for the xbla games I like.  Could be wrong about that as well (which would be nice, since I'd like to play a few arcade games without using the memory card)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »

Given how the 360 is about storage devices other than the official ones that's probably the case.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 06:06:37 PM »

Dammit! That 360 Arcade would be perfect for me, and there are quite a few games I want to check out for the system.

No money means no 360 though.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 01:33:16 PM »

Bought the Arcade version earlier this morning. If I feel the need to get a HD, I'll get one. Why get three hugely overpriced 512 MB cards when you can get a 120 GB HD for 20 dollars more. Accessories are overpriced this generation.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »

Still waiting on the Jasper version, but this was awfully tempting in conjunction with the recent RPG releases.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:51 PM »

I thought the Jasper version was to come out in August.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: