Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 07:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327140 Posts in 13390 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Depression after finishing games.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Depression after finishing games.  (Read 7656 times)
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:44:11 AM »

I just finished Tales of Vesperia.

I hate finishing games. I have this weird feeling that I want more and I get a little bit depressed. I feel like I want more of the game. Anyone else feel like this?

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:52:49 AM »

i get content when having finished a good game, book or movie - it's all the same to me

i guess in your case, cos you've spent so long in that game's world/story, you feel deprived of the world after?
just play it again :p
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:15:33 AM »

I got that damn feeling on games I really like too. If there's one specific game that has that effect on me it's Lufia 2 >_>
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 02:56:32 AM »

I know what you mean. Guess it happens because sometimes I get so involved with the characters, the story, the settings… I kind of miss them when I finish the game. Persona 3 and Tales of the Abyss, just to name a few, made me feel this way.

Anyway, calintz’s advice is a good one :P
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:22:12 AM »

I only feel that way if I really like the characters, but it's pretty rare for me. Replaying the game doesn't really help with that since it just tells you what you already know a second time.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 05:46:02 AM »

I kinda did when I was a teen. Now I just get a sense of satisfaction. It’s so rare that I actually finish games these days.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:53:03 AM »

Well, I get that feeling way more finishing an anime, but only a few games make me like that. Mainly the Tales games for some reason.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »

That depends on how much I enjoyed the game. Sometimes I just want the damn thing to be over and other times I feel satisfied because I felt that it ended exactly when it had to and was well executed.

But sometimes I'm so into the game that I wish it would go on for years. When I completed P3 I felt like something was missing. On the next day I wanted to keep playing it but it was over, there was no reason to go back to it. That's why I was so happy when FES was announced. When I started playing the answer it felt really good to go back to that place you know?
Also happened with XS3. I played them all back to back and when it was finally over it felt weird. I spend several months just playing that series, I really got used to it in my daily life.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »

No, because games are entirely too long these days.  The only thing that comes to my mind when I beat a game is "It's about fucking time".

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »

No, because games are entirely too long these days.  The only thing that comes to my mind when I beat a game is "It's about fucking time".

Agreed.  I'm usually ready for a game to be done when I finish.   And since I always have a backlog, I'm ready to start a new one and be on the next adventure.  Maybe I'm just impatient :-P

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 10:10:22 AM »

I can somewhat judge how good a game/book is on how I feel after finishing it. If I feel depressed, then it was good; if I feel great, then it was frustrating and shitty. Most of the time, it's something more neutral.
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 11:41:38 AM »

I wish I could feel depressed after finishing a game. I have a good 6-game backlog beckoning to me, making me depressed. The only time I was ever sad I finished a game because of something attracting it to me nonstop was XS:ASZ.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 12:02:25 PM »

Agreed.  I'm usually ready for a game to be done when I finish.   And since I always have a backlog, I'm ready to start a new one and be on the next adventure.  Maybe I'm just impatient :-P

My thoughts exactly.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »

If you go through withdrawals, you're playing video games too much. If you suffer depression, you are playing video games WAY too much.

Get outside and stop playing for a few days. :P
Pcmaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »

If you go through withdrawals, you're playing video games too much. If you suffer depression, you are playing video games WAY too much.

Get outside and stop playing for a few days. :P

Nah, not really. I haven't played games since late 90s, and I just got back into gaming about a few months ago.

I was trying to invite you, but you weren't online. I'll add you if you and me are both on at the same time. You can also ask anyone in the guild for an invite just type /who sparky and you'll get a list of the guild members that are online, you can ask one of them for an invite :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: