Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334819 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Depression after finishing games.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Depression after finishing games.  (Read 7814 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »

I'm with DR in that games are too damn long and I just want to be done already. But some games are so good that you do genuinely get attached. Tales of the Abyss, which took me forever to get through, left me feeling a bit sad about it all being over. But I was also happy that I could finally move on to something else.
Getting sad over a game being done does not mean that you have no life or need to get out more. It just means it was a well-made game and managed to connect with the player. I imagine the creators of said game would be happy about this, and would certainly not accuse the people afflicted with these emotions as having no life.
; - )

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Clothahump

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »

This is actually quite common.
There's plenty of people who won't even finish their games, because they don't want it to end. I've had this happen before, but like someone else said - you still have the game, and can always play through it again. Plus, you don't want to get too hung up on one story, when there's so many others out there waiting to be explored.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »

Depression isn't the word I'd use. Perhaps longing for more of the game, who'd say they're depressed that they've finished a fantastic meal? Anyways I only REALLY feel that if a game's extremely amazing and I just want to play more, but there isn't more to play! Even then I usually feel satisfaction at finishing it off for aforementioned reasons.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:09:09 PM by Eusis » Logged
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 04:00:19 PM »

Well, I get that feeling way more finishing an anime, but only a few games make me like that.

Same here. P3 did it to me- not only after beating the game but also after completing most of the S-Links (except for Kenji. I was really happy to be done with him.) but I can't think of any others.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »

It's not terribly common for me with video games.  Usually I'm pretty happy when a game's concluded because I get to see how it ends and move on to the next game.  My two exceptions are Persona 3 and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.  The former because I got really attached to the game and the ending, well, you know.  The latter because a particular element of the ending disturbed me for several weeks afterwards.

Like dalucifer0 I get that sort of feeling more often from an anime's conclusion, which I attribute mostly to the fact a lot of anime series have endings I just don't like.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 06:42:08 PM »

Hm, when I was younger I may have been like that too (somewhat depressed).  Now a days, like others here, I do enjoy finishing games and it gives me a sense of satisfaction to have finished it since I don't always get to finish my games due to time constraints.

Persona 3 was an exception though.  Loved that game, was sad when it ended for multiple reasons.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dangerous Person
AMG A GIRL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »

Yeah, I've gotten that way, too. Not really depressed, but a little listless, I guess. I don't like to start a new game until I've gotten out of the game I've just played.

I mostly get like that after finishing a particularly good book, though.

Post-breakup Kermit covers Chevelle, darkness ensues!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 08:51:10 PM »

Depends on the game.  Like D-Rider and others, if a game goes over 40 hours, I say "about freaking time" because I don't have 3-5 hour blocks of time daily that I can spend gaming.  So I get burnt out on games since even a 10 hour game can take me a couple of weeks to get through.  Time is one reason I've often used a GameShark to power my way through some otherwise lengthy RPGs in half the time.  Xenosaga series, for example. 

One exception is the Persona games.  I can play a Persona game for 75+ hours and never be tired or burnt out on it. 

To me, 25 hours is the perfect RPG length; then the game feels meaty but not draggy.  15 for handheld RPGs, since staring at small screens for extended periods of time= tired eyes. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:56:05 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 09:59:09 PM »

Well, what I meant about anime is that the whole entire series, OVA, movie, etc. is all dedicated to the plot and characters, and I get more "attached" to them than a RPG character, in which a huge chunk of the game is fighting random enemies and adventuring, and then a little time devoted to the characters. P3 and the Tales series seem to really emphasize the characters, so that's why I feel a little empty after completing them.

FFXII, for example, while I liked that game, I was glad I was finally done with all that fucking grinding, and the characters were awful anyways, so I was just glad to move on.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 11:46:05 PM »

This is why I like sidequests. Done with the game? Go ahead and beat it. Not done with the game? Do some sidequests.

In general though I rarely finish games. QfG2 looks like it'll be an exception is it's not that long. I WILL be sad when that's finished.

Although, it's replayable. I could go through as a thief, or a wizard. I'm not doing EOF or WIT on this playthrough, after all, and I'm not, certainly, a combat oriented character. Nor did I get all the nifty stuff for my room, or see all of the, Shema and Shameen conversations.

That is another reason why I like sidequests.

Oh, also, if I get around to killing Lavos again, I'll probably be sad as CT's becoming progressively deader to me. There's nothing new I could really get out of a replay, there.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »

Usually I don't get "depressed" when I finish a game. In fact, quite the opposite, I feel sort of happy. Mostly because I'm such a weak gamer and rarely finish a game (I finish a game every few months or so which to be honest is way too long). However if the story finishes in a "bad" or a sad way then yes.
Like some of others have said it happens much more often with anime/manga.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 11:10:21 PM »

I just finished Tales of Vesperia.

I hate finishing games. I have this weird feeling that I want more and I get a little bit depressed. I feel like I want more of the game. Anyone else feel like this?

I don't get that feeling with every game, but DEFINITELY with games I enjoyed. Finishing FFX sent me into a strange, strange depression.

Ramza

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 12:20:04 AM »

I just finished Tales of Vesperia.

I hate finishing games. I have this weird feeling that I want more and I get a little bit depressed. I feel like I want more of the game. Anyone else feel like this?

I don't get that feeling with every game, but DEFINITELY with games I enjoyed. Finishing FFX sent me into a strange, strange depression.

Ramza

Agreed. I never wanted that game to end.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »

I usually only feel that way if the game was great but came short in one story/character area and then DIDN'T fulfill me... making me want more and just knowing it won't happen because the credits are rolling.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 02:10:09 AM »

Usuaully, it comes across as a sort of high, thinking "haha game! fuck you! I beat oyu!"

Kind of the opposite of depression.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: