Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:35:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334699 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Mmm... Yum!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Mmm... Yum!  (Read 3882 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 10:08:54 AM »

How many of you have read the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy books?  This discussion on anonymous meat and all reminds me so much of the final chapters in book 2, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.  That was my fave in the series. 
Code:
Zaphod Beeblebrox had a point when Arthur Dent was all freaked out about the cow modeling delicious parts of her wanting to be eaten and assuring him that she'd be killed humanely.  Zaphod asked if Arthur'd feel better if he was eating steak from a cow that didn't want to be slaughtered?

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »

Heh, hadn't even thought of that. Though it's certainly true, most people can't eat something they've seen alive.

You not eating meat contributes to global warming. I'm doing my part in eating meat so there's less cows, pigs etc. farting and shitting and releasing CO2 into the atmosphere.

The reason why there are so many cows, pigs etc. is because there are so many people who want to eat some meat every day. It's not as if those pigs artificially inseminate themselves and promote their offspring's meat through government sponsored commercials :P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:27:25 PM by Tomara » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 11:00:45 AM »

Heh, hadn't even thought of that. Though it's certainly through, most people can't eat something they've seen alive.

Except maybe lobsters.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »

Probably because lobsters aren't cute. It can't beg you not to eat it with expressive eyes and cuddly fur.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 12:51:04 AM »

How many of you have read the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy books?  This discussion on anonymous meat and all reminds me so much of the final chapters in book 2, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.  That was my fave in the series. 
Code:
Zaphod Beeblebrox had a point when Arthur Dent was all freaked out about the cow modeling delicious parts of her wanting to be eaten and assuring him that she'd be killed humanely.  Zaphod asked if Arthur'd feel better if he was eating steak from a cow that didn't want to be slaughtered?

Fill me in!  Sounds amusing. xD

In regards to...
Would eating a dog really be that bad? It's not like you knew it, kept it as a pet or anything. It's anonymous meat, there is no need to be sentimental about it. A dog isn't worth more than a pig, unless you're talking about the sentimental value only a pet can have.
I suppose if I had a pet elephant, for example, and grown attached to it then I'd be upset on it becoming a full course meal (which would probably feed a village... for a month).

Hell, same goes for a pet duck, even though its a delicacy.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »

Asians eat some of the weirdest shit.

Totally unrelated but maybe not. I always see things on TV like "Ruby Teusday's New Asian Salad!" or "Hi I'm Guy Fierri and today we're making Asian-style salmon chunks."

Asia's a pretty huge continent with millions of cultures in it.

As a vegetarian, by the way, this doesn't bother me. Also, if you think cows are such a problem in regards to CO2 emissions, just shoot the damn things. I'm cool with that as long as I'm not *eating* them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »

So, you're not up for the consumption of animals, IE, animals killed for a valid reason, but you're up for just killing cows because?

Your philosophy is kind of retarded.  :P

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 08:29:08 PM »

Every culture has strange food. 

Lutefisk from Norway is pretty strange to me; I mean fish prepared in lye- and industrial cleaning solvent that could kill you if consumed?  Yeah... .  You won't find snake surprise or monkey brains consumed in India (snakes and monkeys are sacred animals to many Hindus; although in the Muslim parts of Mumbai, you can get goat brain curry), but I know many African countries consume snakes and monkey brains.  Guinea pigs are a delicacy in some parts of South America.  And you know what?  A lot of the processed American food where over half the ingredients are things I can barely spell or pronounce is pretty bizarre food. 

Again, watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on Travel Channel or look for it on the web.  If you're interested in bizarre foods, that's a show to check out. 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:04:17 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »

Los: Organ meats can be awesome if prepared properly. Thing is, most people don't prepare them properly.

That's why I love Cantonese cuisine; they make organ meats WORK!

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »

So, you're not up for the consumption of animals, IE, animals killed for a valid reason, but you're up for just killing cows because?

Your philosophy is kind of retarded.  :P

Most vegetarians are.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 01:23:38 AM »

Hey, I have good reasons! Medical reasons even.

What I don't get are all those meat replacement products that look like meat, are supposed to taste like meat, but are not meat. If don't eat meat, why pretend you do?
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

My favourite are the meatless beef strips or the meatless bacon made from beans and whatever.

I think bacon is the Satan of the vegetarian world.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »

Hey, I have good reasons! Medical reasons even.

What I don't get are all those meat replacement products that look like meat, are supposed to taste like meat, but are not meat. If don't eat meat, why pretend you do?

Ok, I can appreciate medical reasons.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 08:53:54 AM »

Do NOT get me started on vegan food or vegans in general.  Meatless meat is strange.  Even stranger is non-dairy cheese.  That just ain't natural.  If you want something meaty without the meat, just sautee up a thick ol' portobello mushroom.  Even Homer Simpson once commented that a portobello mushroom ate like a steak:P

I'll tell you, whenever my friends and I want to go out for food and they ask me what I want, I always say, "Anything but vegan food." 

EDIT: One food I'm surprised is absent from a lot of disgusting food lists is cow urine.  In many parts of India, Goa in particular, cow urine is swigged as a medicine.  Andrew Zimmern drank a shot of spiced cow urine when he filmed an episode of Bizarre Foods in Goa. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:14:40 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: