Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:46:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330126 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  First RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: First RPG?  (Read 9175 times)
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2006, 03:27:27 PM »

Alright, it's time to get all nostalgic and remember the game that first got you into the genre.

Super Mario RPG - Great first RPG, not to mention that IMO it's the best of the Mario RPGs, it was a great introduction to the genre. It was easy enough for a first timer and I already knew the characters and the basic plot, it was still enough Mario for me to not bring it home and go "WTF?". The graphics looked awesome, and in fact I didn't even have a clue as to what an RPG was, I though it was something like an extreme title, something like "MARIO EX!!!!". I freakin love that game.

It wasn't until Pokemon that I found out that it was an actual genre though, so I missed out on a lot of good SNES RPGs.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

This is almost guaranteed to be locked, this question has been asked millions of times. :P

First I ever played/owned was DW1. First I actually enjoyed was FFIV, though I may've played and liked DWIV afterwards.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 05:05:59 PM »

(Joke post, guys. I stole it from someone on the Morrowind boards and changed the text from TES to Your Mom).

Your Mom 2 is my first RPG, and is still my favorite.

Where to begin? Your Mom 2 was Bethesda's greaYour Momt shot at putting a PnP FRPG on the PC. Consider the similarities between the old Judges Guild "Wilderlands of High Fantasy" setting (which I understand is now available again for all of you die-hard FRPG-ers out there) and the Iliac Bay. You have a HUGE gaming area containing an over-arching storyline and a virtually infinite number of (admittedly) repetitive single-shot missions. Yes, the games owe a great deal to D&D as far as being within the FRPG genre, but that's about as far as it goes. I have not come across another FRPG that even comes close to reaching the bar that Your Mom 2 set.

In many respects, I feel that Your Mom3 and Your Mom4 are inferior games, but only in the sense that they did not retain a lot of the flavor of Your Mom2. The open-endedness of the game is still there, although not to the same degree. The gaming areas are much smaller, the quest system is much more linear, the skills system is more simplified and, consequently, your character becomes more constrained. But, again, I'm looking at them from the FRPG viewpoint.

This does not mean that Your Mom3 and Your Mom4 are bad games, but merely that they are different and suffer only by comparison. If you compare them to other FPS games, they hold up quite well, but as FRPGs, they are a bit lacking.

So, in short, what I'm getting at is that Your Mom 2 was an awesome FRPG with FPS elements. Your Mom 3 and Your Mom 4 are decent (awesome from a graphics standpoint) FPS games, with RPG elements. So comparing them is a lot like comparing Halo and Neverwitner Nights.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

^3R^
Banninated

3r.kamikaze@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 07:10:51 PM »

My first RPG was Secret of Evermore.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
This is almost guaranteed to be locked, this question has been asked millions of times. :P

Nah, it's okay.  I can't recall it being done in a while, at least not on these newish boards.  I give this thread my Stamp of Indifference.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 07:50:44 PM »

first rpg was DW1. recently played DW8 and thought it was a steaming pile of shit. first rpg i enjoyed was shining force

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 07:52:19 PM »

The first Final Fantasy.  Followed by the Dragon Quest on the good ol' Nintendo.  Mind you, at that age I had no idea how to play, but I sure as hell love watching my brother and squeezing in a minute or two if he didn't play.

The first RPG I actually played through and beat was probably FF3 (US/SNES).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 09:40:28 PM »

I started out on Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI. (no surprise there :P) Although I'm not sure which one I played first. It may have been VI. I borrowed them from a friend of mine, when I was a kid. I had no idea what an RPG was at the time, and was blown away by the depth of storyline in FFVI in particular, and the whole concept of leveling up and all that. Then of course, I got into Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, and EarthBound.

To make a long story short, it was more than likely Final Fantasy VI. A classic forever.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 10:18:40 PM »

My first was Dragon Warrior. I bought it with my Christmas money because of the name alone. I enjoyed it, even if it was too difficult for me to ever finish. I played Final Fantasy soon after and it was about the same, even though I think I did manage to finish that one somehow.

The first I enjoyed was Final Fantasy II (US). The story didn't hold my interest so much as the fast-paced battle system that was totally new to me. But I wasn't really sold until I hit Kain's "Jump" command for the first time and thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen in a video game. Still do.

It was all downhill from there.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 11:37:31 PM »

Either FFIV or FFVI. Not sure which, though. I rented one of them, then when I went to re-rent it, I grabbed the wrong one. Almost 10 years later, I have three copies of FFIV (SNES, PS1, GBA) and two of FFVI (SNES, PS1) and still play them regularly.

(Shortly after renting these two, I rented Super Mario RPG. I now own a copy, which I aquired free of charge from some moronic aquaintance of mine who wanted to play FF: Mystic Quest, which I had. A month later, I bought FFIV, VI, and a GameShark for $20. Payed the guy $5 of it.)
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 12:18:10 AM »

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was my first RPG. I don't think I even knew what an RPG was back then, and just played it because it had Mario in it. But it's really a top notch game. It'll always remain on my list of tops, even if it didn't really get me into the genre like Threads of Fate did.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 07:35:15 AM »

I got into the genre pretty late.

Well, essentially my first was Dragon Crystal on the Sega Master System, but I had no idea it was an RPG, so I don't count it.

Then it was Pokemon Blue, but again, I didn't know it was an RPG, it was just YAY POKEMON. But man, did I love that game more than anything. I still love it.

The game that got me into the genre was Final Fantasy VIII, and it's still my favourite game. I'd just never experienced anything like it before, no game had sucked me in like FFVIII did.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 09:05:06 AM »

My very first RPG was actually Super Mario RPG, but I didn't know what an RPG was back then. The game that really got me into the genre was FFVII. It's still my favorite game. I guess all the good memories I have with it put it above pretty much anything I've played since, in sentimentality, anyway.
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »

If you can consider The Legend of Zelda an RPG then it was my first.  If not, then I had also tried Dragon Warrior, but at 6 years old I couldn't understand it and quickly put it away.  So if you don't count that as well, when I first got a Genesis my father picked up Super Hydlide from a pawn shop and I played it quite frequently.

Like countless others, the RPG that turned me hardcore was Final Fantasy VII.
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 01:55:40 PM »

My first RPG was probably The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past on SNES. But, like the multitude of others my favorite rpg, and the game that first got me into rpg's, would have to be FFVII.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: