Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 01:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318861 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  First RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: First RPG?  (Read 8649 times)
Nairume

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »

I believe that Dungeon Hack was the first RPG I can really remember myself playing. Bard's Tale 3, though, was the first one that I really got into.
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 07:19:59 PM »

my first rpg was terranigma =)

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »

For me it was Final Fantasy VI. I remember getting interested in the genre back when a swedish gaming mag had this preview of Final Fantasy VI. This must've been sometime back in '93 or '94. In those days RPG releases were more or less unheard of in Europe, so this was my first meeting with RPGs and I was increadibly intrigued by what I read.

So that's when I began looking for RPGs to play. As I said, RPGs were rarely released in Europe so I had to resort to an emulator to play Final Fantasy VI. That game was thus the first RPG I played and it, together with Secret of Mana (which was one of those rare SNES RPGs that actually were released EU), pretty much cemented my love for the genre.
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »

My first rpg was Phantasy Star 1, but I really didn't get into rpgs until I played Final Fantasy 6.
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 03:03:56 PM »

My first RPG was AD&D, back when it was sort of a fad. I played it for about three years, until I was a freshman in high school. Around that time I lost interest in D&D, video games, Star Wars, etc. in favor of more typical teenager stuff. A few years later when I finished college I bought an SNES as part of a scheme to establish credit, and an old friend of mine told me to buy a new game called Final Fantasy II because it was "just like D&D." I ended up hating it, because it was nothing like D&D, at least not in the ways I wanted it to be. A couple of years later FFIII came out and I wasn't interested, but somehow I ended up buying it anyway, and I ended up loving it. That was the RPG that's the really the reason I'm still playing console RPGs today.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 03:33:24 PM »

I had played various RPGs in the 8 and 16-but days like Dragon Warrior, Ultima: Exodus, Legacy of the Wizard, Ys 3, but I could never get into the genre.  As a little kid, I found them slow, boring, ponderous, and I just didn't "get" them.  Like I didn't get the whole idea of experience and nonlinear quests and all that.  I did dig Zelda back then, so though it's still debatable as to whether it's a 'tr00 rpg' or not, it was a quest adventure that did try to serve as a gateway/segue into the RPG-proper genre.  

But it was in '97 after seeing a friend play FF7 that I decided to give the genre another chance.  I tried Legacy of Kain for PC, but it wasn't for me.  I wanted something more Japanese/anime-ish.  So I dusted off the old Genesis and bought some preowned cartridges of Phantasy Star 2-4.  So, yeah, Phantasy Star 2 is the game I really call my first RPG; the one I cut my teeth on.  

Between the two eras was my mostly non-gaming era.  That was circa high school.  Yeah, that's a similar sentiment to Druff.    

P.S. Druff?  Izzat really you?  Damn, talk about a blast from the past.  I was dezo penguin/dezo/Blademaster Dezo back in ye olden days.

I approve of this nonsense!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 04:04:41 PM »

i think this time im gonna keep my comments about a certain adventure game not being an rpg to myself

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 04:10:48 PM »

My first RPG was Xenogears.  I never finished it though I played it twice to just before it ends.  I loved it so much I didn't want it to ever end.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 05:05:47 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
P.S. Druff?  Izzat really you?  Damn, talk about a blast from the past.  I was dezo penguin/dezo/Blademaster Dezo back in ye olden days.

Yep, it's me. I was just reading about Xenosaga Ep. III and it made me think of this place, so I wandered over for the first time in... a while. I think it's been a few years. Yeesh. Anyway, nice to see you again! I'm trying to think of who else I remember from back then, is anyone else still around?
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 06:20:28 PM »

HI SOME OLD POSTER I NEVER MET UNTIL NOW.

/me tips his hat.  ...IN CAPS.

First RPG was Zelda II, although I had no idea what it was.  Then I played Dragon Warrior I quite a bit and...  Got really confused about the numbers and crap, cause I was about six.  Then, uh, Shining Force really got me into the genre when I was about 12.  We have gone over this thread so many times, I am sure Eusis or John could type this response for me...

Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 10:41:27 AM »

This question's been made a dozen times on every forum but I always end up answering (under different names over the ages):

Phantasy Star IV was the first one I played, 10 years ago. It's still one of my favorites :D
Scree

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:40 PM »

I remember playing Breath Of Fire games on snes but never really getting into them. It wasn't until much later in my life when I stumbled across Final Fantasy VII when I really got into the genre. From there I got a lot of rpgs and when they older FF games were released onto the psOne I got them and enjoyed them too. I remember playing games like Legend of Legia and Thousand Arms and really enjoying it. Now I still enjoy them yet have fallen quite out of interest with the new Final Fantasy games.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2006, 02:57:28 PM »

Quote from: "Druff"
Quote from: "Dincrest"

Yep, it's me. I was just reading about Xenosaga Ep. III and it made me think of this place, so I wandered over for the first time in... a while. I think it's been a few years. Yeesh. Anyway, nice to see you again! I'm trying to think of who else I remember from back then, is anyone else still around?

I remember your name from the RPGBoard script days, but I don't know if you remember me. I was Rain. :P
---
On topic - I still can't remember if it was Breath of Fire 1, or Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, being my first RPG. I'm definately sure it was one of the two though.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure mine was Phantasy Star.  I never really got "into" rpg's though until I played FFVI. That game is brilliant.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 01:42:27 AM »

Crusaders of the Dark Savant for PC.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: