Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 06:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319198 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Looking for a PSX RPG(Click for details!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Looking for a PSX RPG(Click for details!)  (Read 7761 times)
Drognar
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:35:24 PM »

An innovative battle system and a large amount of recruitable characters.  No tactical rpgs please and no non-translated games. Games I have played that fit this include-
Tales of Destiny
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Oh, and no Final Fantasy games unless they really fit what I'm looking for.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

I think Star Ocean 2 (or The Second Story) fits what you're looking for. The battle system is similar to the Tales games, and you can have up to 8 party members with you, from a pool of twelve.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:43:45 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Drognar
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »

It would be if I hadn't played it already, I forgot to mention that sorry.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:13:16 PM »

Chrono Cross
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »

Chrono Cross

Easily. I still believe it is one of the best RPGs ever made and if you haven't played it yet it's fairly cheap (about $15-20 I think)

Drognar
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

Chrono Cross

Easily. I still believe it is one of the best RPGs ever made and if you haven't played it yet it's fairly cheap (about $15-20 I think)
No, thanx. I'd prefer something not made by square.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »

Chrono Cross

I'm sorry, but that is pathetic.

Drognar
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »

Chrono Cross

I'm sorry, but that is pathetic.
Why I love Squaresoft, but I'm sick of Final Fantasy and other square games, what it that not allowed here?:( If you ask me your answer is pathetic for being so biased. *shakes head in sadness*
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:59:08 PM by Drognar » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 05:56:49 PM »

It's pathetic because it fit your description of what you wanted perfectly and it is a phenomenal game.

Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »

It's pathetic because it fit your description of what you wanted perfectly and it is a phenomenal game.

Should I play Chrono Trigger first? I found a copy of CC at a local game store, but was thinking about playing CT DS first if it would increase my enjoyment of CC.
Drognar
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »

Fine, I'll give it go.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »

Should I play Chrono Trigger first? I found a copy of CC at a local game store, but was thinking about playing CT DS first if it would increase my enjoyment of CC.

Not playing CT won't prevent your from enjoying (or not) CC. The game aren't tied that much, but you might miss some references, nowhere near enough to ruin the story though. But you should still play CT >_>
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 07:31:03 PM »

Play Trigger second. It'll be a more objective experience that way.

Anyway, the other problem with "No Square games!" is that square sort of made a relatively sizable percentage of PSX games.

With that, I'm gonna go go ahead and throw SaGa Frontier out there. Battle system is pretty neat and sort of like Chrono Trigger's with a different combo system and strictly turn based instead of ATB, and there's something like 30 recruitable characters.

Also, depending on how rigidly you're against strategy RPGs, Arc the Lad 2 MIGHT work. It has a strategic battle system but it's far more of a regular RPG.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Drognar
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »

Play Trigger second. It'll be a more objective experience that way.

Anyway, the other problem with "No Square games!" is that square sort of made a relatively sizable percentage of PSX games.

With that, I'm gonna go go ahead and throw SaGa Frontier out there. Battle system is pretty neat and sort of like Chrono Trigger's with a different combo system and strictly turn based instead of ATB, and there's something like 30 recruitable characters.

Also, depending on how rigidly you're against strategy RPGs, Arc the Lad 2 MIGHT work. It has a strategic battle system but it's far more of a regular RPG.
No to both of them, Arc the Lad is some gay action rpg, and SaGa frontier uses a shitty system that should have been burned along with Final Fantasy 2. I love stragety rpgs also I just wanted to get away for I while cause I had played so many.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 08:00:58 PM »

yeah i know what you mean i fukkin h8 squares*ft two

ive also played arc the lad for ps2 and i didnt like it because the main character is a homosexual and saga frontier is made by japanese and is shit

jesus guys recommend this guy a GOOD game hes come here and made a serious topic and youre ruining it with suggestions like he asked for !

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: