Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341138 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest IV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IV  (Read 6756 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:39:38 PM »

It's shipped! I won't get mine until Wednesday thanks to a gift certificate deal at Circuit City, but anyone getting it tomorrow?
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »

Picking up my copy tomorrow, but I have Vesperia to play through still since I had to stop in the middle of it to review Infinite Undiscovery (someone else is doing the Vesperia review).

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:13:46 PM »

I must have been hiding under a rock, because to tell you the truth, I didn't even know about DQIV's existence until I saw this thread. I always thought DQIX was the only installment hitting the DS.

I'll see what you guys think before picking it up. I don't know squat about it, so my interest level isn't very high.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »

I would pick it up, but I don't like grinding that much.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »

Definitely picking it up as I have a rewards zone coupon for Best Buy I'm planning on using on it.  Probably won't get it until Wed. considering Best Buy never seems to get games on the floor until a day after the release.   I'm promising myself this is the last game I'm letting myself buy before the holidays...we'll see how well that works out, haha.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:39:23 PM »

I'll see what you guys think before picking it up. I don't know squat about it, so my interest level isn't very high.

DQ4 is the best 8-bit RPG of all time.  Apparently this remake is a well done one with an all new translation, great graphics that mix 2D art & 3D environments, and a new (for the US) post-game chapter.  If I hadn't just spent a bunch of money a couple weeks ago on XBLA games & Civilization Revolution, I would totally be buying this game tomorrow.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 10:48:40 PM »

I must have been hiding under a rock, because to tell you the truth, I didn't even know about DQIV's existence until I saw this thread. I always thought DQIX was the only installment hitting the DS.

To tide you over until we review it for the site: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/dragonquest4chaptersofthechosen

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »

I'm actually chosing to get Yggdra Union instead, nyah.  :P

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:55:02 AM »

I was gonna get this but now I'm sort of burnt out on gaming :(

I mean, I WILL get this eventually. Definitely. But just not tomorrow, probably.

Also seriously QfG2 is pretty time consuming, I'm gonna start 4 as soon as it gets here (Skipping 3. That didn't thrill me despite appealing to my inner ******). I also feel VAGUELY obligated to devote some time to Divine Divinity, and then I got back to DQ7 again and like at 46 hours I'm JUST getting to the half-way point, and that's without sidequests.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:03:58 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »

I'll make it short so as to not draw attention here:  I hate this series. =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »

I loved how DQIV had scenarios for everyone. Start with Ragnar, then Alena's group, the twins, taloon and then finally you play the hero and bring them all together. This was on the damn NES and I can't recall* it being done right since(FF6 kinda when everyone got split on the raft, bit too short though). Every time a game promises something like it ends up you have x playable characters...and you play though the same game x times(See: Odin Sphere, saga frontier).

Don't know that I have cash to drop just for a remake right now, but going by the pictures it looks nice(And you can see they got rid of the annoying chapter five mandatory auto battle for everyone but the hero). May end up picking it up later on.

*Edit-Massive oversight: Suikoden III.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:24:22 PM by Raze » Logged
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »

If I didn't just buy Rock Band 2 and a new wireless router I'd be picking this up. I'll probably buy it right after I beat Final Fantasy 4 and at the rate I'm going that'll be awhile.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »

Every time a game promises something like it ends up you have x playable characters...and you play though the same game x times(See: Odin Sphere, saga frontier).

Well yes but in DQI4's case it's not so much a matter of "pick character, play through game" but having a more or less linear storyline where the point of view changes a few times throughout although I will agree that SaGa Frontier could've used more sidequests in general so that I don't have to play through those damn magic-getting quests every goddamn character CHRIST.

DQ4 is the best 8-bit RPG of all time.

I'd say Phantasy Star 1's my personal favorite though I never gave DQ4 a fair going-at, admittedly. Some people would say Alternate Reality: The City is the best 8-bit RPG of all time, for that matter, but I think they've got really stupid reasons for thinking this (There's a waterfall in the background, the game uses some admittedly really cool programming to achieve some rather cool audio and visual stuff [which I don't really care about because I'm not playing an 8-bit RPG for the graphics], and you can do whatever you want as long as you don't want to do anything but wander around an empty city, killing bandits, eating food, and buying new swords occaisionally. Also you can apparently get scurvy, which makes this the best game ever. What).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »

Been playing through the DS one, and initially, I thought it was just OK, but got hooked on it as I began to play. I never played the NES one so this feels new to me. It's certainly charming, and for the localization, I find it neat that each nation represents a different European nationality. I gotta say though, I am used to hearing scottish, it was quite a pain reading that accent in chapter one. It's a lot easier to understand the dialogue from chapter 2 and onward.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
lordyuanshu
Walkthrough FAQ Guides

TecmoSuperBowl
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »

DQIV is the best 8 bit RPG for me. Destiny of an Emperor 1 and 2 are close though.

Not a fan of the new names / translation, but I guess it was to be expected. Izmit village = Strathbaile?

Glad I could get my hand on it today, was not expecting that. Already chugging through Ragnar's chapter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: