Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:07:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  What TV to get?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What TV to get?  (Read 9196 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »

720p is about the same as 1080i.  1080p is better than both, but isn't always used.

1080p isn't worth it, like Adapheon said, unless you are buying a big TV 40-42"+ or you sit very close to the screen (which you shouldn't do anyway).

Samsung and Sony LCD's are great, but they are pricier than others.  Samsung you can generally find good deals with and they aren't too bad, but Sony (specifically Sony Bravias) tend to be a lot more expensive for their size.  If I were to buy another TV I'd personally go with Samsung or a Sharp Aquos. Both are good TVs as well.

Plasmas are good as well, but you need to do your research a bit before you buy.

As far as DLPs, I remember reading that they were supposed to be great, but they were too expensive at the time.  If the price came down like dasch said it did, and you find a good model, it might be worth buying.  I dont know a lot about DLPs so you'll have to research it on avs or something

You can't go too wrong with any kind of TV as long as you do a little research.  Best buy, Amazon, and to some extent Circuit City all have tons of user reviews about TVs and can be very helpful

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:09:12 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 12:01:56 AM »

Another problem with dlp is if the picture uses a color wheel or not. I can notice a very slight rainbow sheen to those screens and I have a friend that they are very noticable to the point owning one would be pointless for him. Some use a three light solution so there's no rainbow to it but those tend to be more expensive as well. Newer DLPs are also fairly low profile but still have nothing on lcd or plasmas in term of size and weight so that's a consideration as well. Older DLP are just as big as rear projection tvs so if total area size is an issue then they're out the door.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 12:21:35 AM »

DLPs should probably be a low priority. dasch seems fine with his, some apparently really do have low upscale lag, but unless either that post is bogus or all modern DLPs are good there it's a big risk to get one then find out the upscale lag is unacceptable. I recommend googling "TV Model Number game upscale lag" or something along those lines if you don't just go for LCD or something.

Oh, I failed to note this before and just kinda got carried away with 720p vs 1080i, but really? Most every HDTV will support both anyway, it's only really a concern to hunt for with CRT sets, and thanks to the TVs technically being a slightly higher resolution than 1280x720 (1366x768 is the norm) you might get a slight quality boost when playing 1080i. I'd personally prefer to go for the resolution closer to what the TV actually displays though.
Rob

lex+dominus
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »

I have three HDTVs in my home; the primary one is a 61" 1080p JVC LCoS (liquid crystal on silicon), and I have a 32" Westinghouse LCD in my bedroom and a 27" LCD Westinghouse in my study. Both Westinghouse televisions are only capable of 720p. I say this so you know I've done research in the past. Televisions are a hobby for me.

Without getting run down in specifics, know that a 1080p signal is the best in terms of resolution and quality, but you will probably not be able to notice the difference between a 720p signal and a 1080p signal on HDTVs smaller than 42". If you're going 42" or smaller and have a tight budget, save a few bucks and buy a better brand if it means going with a 720p unit. As for Westinghouse, they make quality LCD panels. Considering I have two, I do recommend them, but for gaming, I'd prefer either plasma (there are no longer burn-in issues) or LCoS (Sony and JVC are the only ones that offer this DLP variant). LCD would come last after DLP.

For $1,200, you can find a great TV. If you're going with LCD, Sharp Aquos is without doubt the best line. Westinghouse is an excellent "lesser" brand. You could also go with a DLP TV; only few people experience the "rainbow" effect. Typically, Mitsubishi is the best for a DLP, followed by Toshiba. Samsung is hit or miss.

If you need anything else, just reply or message me.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 05:33:05 PM »

Ok I have a question for you: I'm willing to spend about $1000 or a little less for a HDTV in my room where I primarily play games on my PS3 and X360, but I watch alot of movies as well. What would you recommend?

Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »

Ok I have a question for you: I'm willing to spend about $1000 or a little less for a HDTV in my room where I primarily play games on my PS3 and X360, but I watch alot of movies as well. What would you recommend?

I'm in this boat as well except I only have a 360 (I don't have a blu-ray player of any sort so movies really aren't that big of an issue right now).  I'd like something around $800 but if I need to go up to $1000 for a good quality increase then that's fine.

im gay
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »

LCDs - Sharp Aquos or Samsung

Plasma - Pioneer or Panasonic

Not sure about DLPs or any kind of hybrid.

Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »

Panasonic Viera TH-50PX80U 50-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV for $998 shipped at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-50PX80U-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00142MUDI

This is an amazing plasma TV for the price. Viera blacks are almost as deep as Pioneer Kuros, for a fraction of the price.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:34:25 PM by Fred Flintstone » Logged
Rob

lex+dominus
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »

I'm in this boat as well except I only have a 360 (I don't have a blu-ray player of any sort so movies really aren't that big of an issue right now).  I'd like something around $800 but if I need to go up to $1000 for a good quality increase then that's fine.

For $1,000, you have a few options. How big do you want to go? I'd assume no larger than 42" on that budget...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »

Yeah no larger than about that and no smaller than 30".

Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 04:51:43 AM »

For $1,000, you have a few options. How big do you want to go? I'd assume no larger than 42" on that budget...
After asking around I actually already put an order on one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00141AZR2.  It's a really great deal ($300 off, bringing it to $900), as is the 40" (here).

I did some measuring in my room and decided the 40" would be a bit too big for how close to it I would be sitting so I opted for the 37".

im gay
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 01:59:08 PM »

How close do you sit?  The actual distance x proximity is a lot closer than you think.

For a wide-screen tv:
(source Cnet.  Sorry, no sizes inbetween 34 and 42 are listed but you get the picture)

34" widescreen 
min distance from TV screen = 4.3 feet. 
max distance from TV screen = 8.5 feet.

42" widescreen
min distance from TV screen = 5.3 feet.
max distance from TV screen = 10.5 feet.

47" widescreen
min distance from TV screen = 5.9 feet.
max distance from TV screen = 11.8 feet.

50" widescreen
min distance from TV screen = 6.3 feet.
max distance from TV screen = 12.5 feet.

Vilnius
Rainbow Club Member

hitaroodako
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »

I sit about 5-6 feet away.  It wasn't just a spontaneous decision, I spent a lot of time measuring and visualizing how the TV would look in my room before I decided (following guidelines I found at various websites about viewing distance).  37'' ended up being the best option.

Edit:  The guideline I was following was that the minimum viewing distance would be about 1.5 - 2x the screen width (max being 5x the width).  I would be sitting a bit past the min.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 04:25:48 PM by Vilnius » Logged

im gay
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »

Alright I bought a LCD 32" Samsung for $700 bucks. It's pretty awesome, but for some reason I notice alot more jaggies than I did with a SDTV. Does that always happen? I am using component cables though because I didn't want to spend 100 bucks on HDMI, thats just too expensive for me. Does that affect anything?

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 07:31:58 PM »

Alright I bought a LCD 32" Samsung for $700 bucks. It's pretty awesome, but for some reason I notice alot more jaggies than I did with a SDTV. Does that always happen? I am using component cables though because I didn't want to spend 100 bucks on HDMI, thats just too expensive for me. Does that affect anything?

It depends on the game and what it supports, but you definitely need to upgrade to HDMI cables if your tv supports it.  HDMI cables are just like any other cable sold in retail stores, the markup is huge.  You can get a 6' HDMI cable online for around 10$.  The brand does not matter as all HDMI cables have the same quality as long as there's no flaws in the cord itself.  As for jaggies, it's really game dependent.  You can also mess around with the video settings on your tv or system settings on the PS3.  PS3 has an option to smooth graphics I believe.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: