Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 10:16:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337900 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Sega Master System
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sega Master System  (Read 1173 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »

I've wanted a Power Base Converter to play SMS games on my Genesis for as long I can remember, and now I HAVE ONE! Unfortunately, the system is rather weak in the RPG department. There's only a handful of true RPGs (granted, there a lot of medieval action/adventure games), but it does have some cool games that never got ported anywhere else. Currently, I've got Spellcaster (adventure, with some action sequences), Glovellius: Valley of Doom, Aztec Adventure, and Lord of the Sword (all 3 of which are action/adventure type games). I'm picking up a copy of Miracle Warriors soon enough (the reason I wanted the thing).

In any case, other the obvious stuff like Ys and Phantasy Star, does anyone know any cool overlooked SMS games? My interest is definitely in RPGs and adventure games (on that Golden Axe Warrior, reviewed on the site, looks cool). Does anyone out there even own a Master System?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:15:07 AM by Willy Elektrix » Logged
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »

Wonderboy in Monster Land is probably my favorite non Phantasy Star game for the Master System.  It's a side scrolling adventure game, kind of like Zelda 2 and whatnot.  You get to play an action adventure game, but you can collect items and money.  And with said oney, you can buy new equipment like armor and magic and stuff.  I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

You should also give Zillion a shot.  It's pretty neat, although it's also more of an adventure game.  The closest thing I can relate it to is Metroid.  You are in a huge maze and you need to input codes into computer terminals to access further parts of the maze.  You can level up by collecting Opa Opa (from Fantasy Zone) icons.  You can level up your gun and you can recruit two more characters.  But it plays more like Metroid than an RPG.

Truth be told, the games you originally mentioned are about...  As RPG as you are going to get on the Master System.  But still, they're some decent titles.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »

Wonderboy in Monster Land is probably my favorite non Phantasy Star game for the Master System.  It's a side scrolling adventure game, kind of like Zelda 2 and whatnot.  You get to play an action adventure game, but you can collect items and money.  And with said oney, you can buy new equipment like armor and magic and stuff.  I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

Yeah, I've got Wonderboy 4 (or is it 5) for the Genesis. Cool little game. I like design of the areas and dungeons - nice sense of exploration. Amazingly, Wonderboy in Monster Land actually won't play on a Genesis (with the Power Base Converter) unless you are using a Master System controller (as far as I understand it). Weird.

You should also give Zillion a shot.  It's pretty neat, although it's also more of an adventure game.  The closest thing I can relate it to is Metroid.  You are in a huge maze and you need to input codes into computer terminals to access further parts of the maze.  You can level up by collecting Opa Opa (from Fantasy Zone) icons.  You can level up your gun and you can recruit two more characters.  But it plays more like Metroid than an RPG.

Sounds very cool. I've seen copies of it around quite frequently, also it's sequel (Trizillion is it called?). From what I read about it, it didn't sound like my thing but hearing you describe it inspires me to give it go, which I will.

Truth be told, the games you originally mentioned are about...  As RPG as you are going to get on the Master System.  But still, they're some decent titles.

I knew the Master System had a pretty weak line up getting into it. Still, you're right, lots of the titles sound interesting.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »

I think you have all the RPG type stuff covered.  Golden Axe Warrior is an underrated title.  It's Legend of Zelda on steroids.  Really good game. 

Aside from Phantasy Star, my favorite SMS game was Alex Kidd in Miracle World.  Alex Kidd was awesome.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:56:24 AM »

I had a grand total of three Master System games: Missile Defense (Or something like that. It came with the system and had a pair of those '3D' goggles), Time Soldiers and Spell Caster.

I liked Spell Caster, but I remember being barely able to play it back when I was 5. Time Soldiers, however, was the bomb.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: