Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341344 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Depression after finishing games.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Depression after finishing games.  (Read 7981 times)
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 09:52:53 AM »

Depression? You might want to see a doctor D:

When i finish a game and i'm left wanting more of the experience, that's certainly a sign of the game being quite good. Of course, i go and do every possible side quest and even replay the whole game if i like it that much. But these days i don't have that much time :P
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 03:50:44 PM »

I kinda did when I was a teen. Now I just get a sense of satisfaction. It’s so rare that I actually finish games these days.

I'm the same. I hardly ever finish RPG's that are longer than 30 hours nowadays, but when I was younger I got down after beating one. In fact, I posted a topic about it (getting depressed that is) on a RPG forum after I beat Chrono Trigger for the first time and got called a nerd for it, heh.
Drognar
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 07:56:31 PM »

Yeah, I get this in a lot of rpgs, I just feel connected to the characters it sucks to just end it.
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 01:36:14 AM »

I used to get a slight "empty" feeling when I finished at game or anime series I really enjoyed. Then, I'd usually go a on frenzy buying wallscrolls or figures (of that game or anime) to fulfill that void...lol

Nowadays, with less time and expendable cash, I get a good feeling beating a game in general! Even those lesser games that you rush through at the last 75% cause you're sick of it...
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 01:46:31 AM »

Balto 2 was a positively fucking awful movie but the complete lack of closure at the end of it really messed with my head for awhile (and it didn't help that I was supposed to be reading Call of the Wild for school at the time. SIGH. HIGHSCHOOL). I wasn't watching Balto 2 out of choice, really. It was the only thing on at the time. Anyway though, I guess that's the same sort of feeling you people are talking about.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 01:55:59 AM »

Depression? You might want to see a doctor D:

When i finish a game and i'm left wanting more of the experience, that's certainly a sign of the game being quite good. Of course, i go and do every possible side quest and even replay the whole game if i like it that much. But these days i don't have that much time :P

i was think that too!

also thinking, what's wrong with these people - how can you get "depressed" over a game...

:p
jks
TM3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2008, 03:07:45 AM »

I just finished Tales of Vesperia.

I hate finishing games. I have this weird feeling that I want more and I get a little bit depressed. I feel like I want more of the game. Anyone else feel like this?
Nope! Depression would not be the emotion that I would get on completion of a really good game. But yeah, the desire for more! Saying goodbye to the character(s) you have grown attached to.
Final Fantasy 9, Xenogears, and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time are among the big examples of that sort of thing. They kind of made my heart ache a bit, as cheesy and sissy as that sounds.
Same goes for anime as well for some reason. For an example, the conclusion to Trigun, without spoiling…beautiful. It was just beautiful.

“…and I am just saying, that Leprechaun-assassin should‘ve watched where he was going! That punk made me spill my French Vanilla! Then I cried after that! A lot!”
-Shadow Wolfblade,
Itchy Daggers: The Chronicles of Shadow Wolfblade
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 07:50:31 AM »

I think that the TC didn't choose the right word. I mean, depression? Because of a game? Come on... But I think everybody got what he was trying to say.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »

Only game I ever got really depressed after finishing was Suikoden V without collecting the 108 stars (105), and getting the imperfect ending. In fact, I wasn't just depressed... a part of me died inside that night.

The only other one was possibly Tales of the Abyss, not because it was sad, but because it was such a powerfull story with a great ending, but the ending was so life-changing for the characters involved, you really felt (mostly happy) for them. Ever felt sad after a powerful ending, even when characters are happy, simply because you know that things will never be the same for them as they were in the middle of the story?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »

Depression: What comes after spending 200+ hours on Rogue Galaxy and finding out how lame endgame and its ending was.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »

that's getting owned son!
couldn't you see it coming?!

well, that's the most legit reason for depression i've read here
lordyuanshu
Walkthrough FAQ Guides

TecmoSuperBowl
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2008, 11:12:01 AM »

200 hours on RG? They didn't have that much extra stuff did they?  I didn't dabble into the side quests like the Insector thing though...

Beating Suiko V was a little depressing because I figured it'd be about 5 years before another one came out.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2008, 01:06:34 PM »

200 hours on RG? They didn't have that much extra stuff did they?  I didn't dabble into the side quests like the Insector thing though...

Beating Suiko V was a little depressing because I figured it'd be about 5 years before another one came out.

Yeah, that was my excuse for depression after beating Dragon Quest VIII and FFXII.

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:34 PM »

that's getting owned son!
couldn't you see it coming?!

well, that's the most legit reason for depression i've read here

Oh yeah, the story getting super cheesy and the plot not making sense at some parts was a hint enough, but being optimistic and hoping the ending wouldn't be so bad kept me going.

Boy did i regret ever playing this crap. -.-;;
Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »

I haven't depression from finishing game, actually after that I am glad that I can try some new game. Only good memories stay very long after spending time on good atmospheric games. Like Valkyrie Profile serie or Suikoden III in my case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: