Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:17:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319083 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Macross Frontier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Macross Frontier  (Read 1869 times)
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:42:04 AM »

Am I the only one on a few message boards that I go to, that watches this awesome piece of isht? Essentially, I'm a Robotech elitist - in class when I'm sipping on tea with my SD-F-1 logo, I feel that way at least. But some of the Macross stuff has been pretty good, and this one just started around July-ish IIRC. Definitely not Rick/Lisa old school calibur, but the design, and graphics are a bit more top notch allowing the viewing to be less scathing to the eyes (Or random: who doesn't love seeing color changes of Max Sterling's uniforms?). The musician really, really sucks though and I learned to stomach Min Mae, therefore ------------ my mind makes it harder to stomach this one.

If you want to watch it, there's plenty of ways. And there's good English subbing out there.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »

I can't believe anyone calls it Robotech anymore. Macross has nothing to do with Robotech outside of the hacked-up video footage. :P

At any rate, yeah I'm a fan of Frontier; it's a good series. Makes me happy that Macross has managed to recoup from the lackluster Zero, especially since it has a gem like Plus in its lineage.
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »

Oh I didn't mean Robotech was Macross if that's what you got from my post. Yeah, I'm a fan of the US Robotech more than I am of the Macross series (Plus and Zero). I've never seen 7(?). I've only watched was the spiffy episode with Alto kissing.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »

I would encourage you to watch the original SDF Macross. It's a far, far better told story than Robotech's bastardisation. Similarly, Mospaeda is better on its own; I can't say the same for Southern Cross though.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »

I did have the first episode on my harddrive. Though I should start downloading it as I really have nothing to watch at the moment.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

I would encourage you to watch the original SDF Macross. It's a far, far better told story than Robotech's bastardisation. Similarly, Mospaeda is better on its own; I can't say the same for Southern Cross though.

I wouldn't, personally. It's more or less the same thing with only one major difference that will confuse you as far as continuity goes if you watch Robotech first (Protoculture). I mean, yeah, the writing was dumbed down to fit children but I watched Robotech Macross Saga and thought it was perfectly fine. I find the difference in experience with watching Robotech and Macross is really splitting hairs. Hate Harmony Gold all you want, but I think people are way too hard on Robotech itself.

I'm going to want for Macross F to finish before watching the thing. I heard that it drags really badly after the first few episodes though.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »

Simple explanation: Robotech defines protoculture as the life-energy of a floral variety. ie: Flowers power spaceships. Macross defines Protoculture as the predecessors of both humanity, the Zentraedi, and the Maltrandi. the Zentran and Maltran were bred as warriors to serve the Protoculture in their wars. Eventually Protoculture destroyed itself through senseless fighting. However, the human experiment remained, thrived, and would eventually teach the Zentran and Maltran societies how to evolve beyond war and violence.

It's not splitting hairs at all. Robotech went out of its way to dumb down what was happening in Macross, and completely ignores certain principles that carry from Macross through to all its descendants. From Protoculture to the origins of the Zentraedi, etc. In Robotech, the relationship between the Zentraedi and Humans is coincidental. In Macross, it's one of the fundamental pieces of the story.

The origin of the Macross itself is changed (It became Zor's battle fortress instead of a casualty from the Supervision Army). The future of Max and Miriya changes immensely (2 daughters instead of 7? What?). The whole Zentran-Human interspecies thing is dispensed with, and Robotech largely ignores the three Zentraedi visitors who sneak onboard the Macross.
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »

Oddly enough, some of the loopholes in Robotech that weren't efficiently explained to those exposed to Macross didn't remove my overally great experience with it. Now that I think about it since I have some hours between a boring class, it was pretty much the main characters that kept me going, along with the love story. It's sort of like watching Utena with English voice acting, then with English subbing where I get a greater appreciation of those story from both presentations.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 07:40:30 PM »

It's not splitting hairs at all. Robotech went out of its way to dumb down what was happening in Macross, and completely ignores certain principles that carry from Macross through to all its descendants. From Protoculture to the origins of the Zentraedi, etc. In Robotech, the relationship between the Zentraedi and Humans is coincidental. In Macross, it's one of the fundamental pieces of the story.

I would argue that's because back when Robotech was created none of the other Macross shows were out (At least, none of the major ones, to my knowledge).

The origin of the Macross itself is changed (It became Zor's battle fortress instead of a casualty from the Supervision Army). The future of Max and Miriya changes immensely (2 daughters instead of 7? What?). The whole Zentran-Human interspecies thing is dispensed with, and Robotech largely ignores the three Zentraedi visitors who sneak onboard the Macross.

I guess if things like that are important to you, you can watch Macross again, but I picked up a lot of those things just from watching Do You Remember Love? and Macross 7. Me personally, I understand why lots of purists demand people watch the original Macross, but I don't really feel like going through 26 (39? Shows how much I know) more episodes so I can get superfluous information like that which I picked up watching OVAs and the other series along the way anyway.
Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 04:21:15 PM »

SDF Macross is a great series in it's own right; well worth your time, IMHO.

Macross Frontier is one of my favorite series of the past few years. I just watched Ep 24, and it reminded me of Ar Tonelico. :) We just needed insane damage numbers to appear.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: