Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:52:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327869 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Spore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spore  (Read 1736 times)
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2006, 05:12:32 AM »

For those who haven't heard about it, it's the next big title coming from Will Wright of Sims/SimCity/SimX fame.

Here's a google video link from last year's GDC. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198
The speech was stopped mid sentence at the end, perhaps this huge honkin' download is the more complete version. http://www.sporewiki.com/images/media/GDC-Spore.avi
As the GDC presentation commences, I found myself wowed by every step foward he put. In fact, I call him a madman.(only out of jealousy)

The idea of bringing up and manipulating a single celled organism, to a fully intelligent and heavily armed force in the galaxy is well... just mind bending. In fact, I'd argue it'd make a lot of the gaming industry look quite primitive and dull.

The Wikipedia entry lists a possible rumored release date of late 2006(I really doubt it). We can expect to see and learn more of the title at the next E3, and probably even more at GDC.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 04:09:34 PM »

Holy shit. That's all I can muster after watching the clip.

Damn, this is probably the most ambitious game project I've ever seen. It just skyrocketed to one of my most wanted games as of now. Simply amazing.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »

Wow. I've read about Spore before, but I never understood the scope of the thing before watching that GDC demo. That looks totally awesome. The idea of using other player's content to populate worlds is ingenious, and will allow for crazy amounts of variation. I wonder, though, if the lack of clearly defined goals at the later stages of the game might not work against it. Because even if freedom and sandbox play is fun, I personally always get a bit bored and unmotivated if a game lacks a well defined goal.

Still looking forward to it a lot, though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 05:30:39 PM »

The lack of a defined goal can be perfectly fine if the simulation is in depth enough. However, I don't know if that's the case here. Spore seems to be saccrificing depth for scope. This might not be the case though, or it might be an exception where the scope is enough to save everything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: