Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319704 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Oh man, The Simpsons hits the twenty year mark tonight.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Oh man, The Simpsons hits the twenty year mark tonight.  (Read 4628 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »

Whether it SHOULD have made it to the twenty year mark might be up for debate, though. :P

I remember when Bart Simpson was the coolest shit I had ever seen.  I had all those shirts late 80s-early 90s Simpsons catchphrase shirts.

Twenty seasons, and I remember when it started...Jesus Christ, I'm old.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »

Even if it may've worn out its welcome I'd still rather watch it than almost any other animated sitcom (if you can actually use the word to describe them). Definitely gotta tune in tonight for once.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »

Even if it may've worn out its welcome I'd still rather watch it than almost any other animated sitcom

Amen. It boggles my mind why everyone thinks Family Guy is funny.
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »

Whether it SHOULD have made it to the twenty year mark might be up for debate, though. :P

I remember when Bart Simpson was the coolest shit I had ever seen.  I had all those shirts late 80s-early 90s Simpsons catchphrase shirts.

Twenty seasons, and I remember when it started...Jesus Christ, I'm old.

Sadly, you aren't alone. D:

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »

Far from alone - I was in Jr high when The Simpsons started.  Still remember my parents saying no one would watch it in their house.  I watched some old episodes this weekend and I still feel like that ban was silly.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:08:57 AM »

My mom and I are huge Simpsons fans.  I was in the 7th grade when it first came out and though my mom was apprehensive about the series at first, she loves it now for its surprising depth.  Another interesting thing is that their portrayal of Indian characters and culture is surprisingly accurate.  Apu's wedding was how I remember Indian weddings. 

One thing I believe is that for any sitcom about a family, the kids are the initial draw but it's the dad that carries the show.  And one thing about Homer Simpson is that he has heart and is a fine human being.  If I were to compare Homer to Peter Griffin, Homer is a fine human being and Peter's just an obnoxious asshole.  A dad with heart wins every time.  (I'm not a Seth McFarlane fan.  I don't like Family Guy or American Dad.)

Homer's not a bright man or a handsome man, but he's loyal and dedicated to his family.  In this era of deadbeat dads and philandering husbands, it's great to see someone like Homer who diligently wakes up every morning to go to work and provide for his family.  It's also wonderful to see that despite all the opportunities Homer has had to cheat on Marge, he never did because he's so darn dedicated to her.  Any wife would be lucky to have a husband who loves her as fiercely as Homer loves Marge.  Sure Homer's not a doting daddy, but his children have zero doubts that their father is an everlasting presence in their lives and that he loves them.  For better or worse, they know Homer's there and both Bart and especially Lisa freak out on those rare occasions he's absent.  Too often you see fathers completely absent from their kids' lives, but with the Simpsons you see Homer and Marge who unconditionally love their kids for who they are.  Homer's also open-minded, doesn't judge people, and doesn't like to see his friends or family get hurt.  He screws up and bungles things, but goes out of his way to always make it right again. 

EDIT: Another stellar thing about Homer is that though he has a hate-hate relationship with Patty and Selma, he still looks out for them like family and actually does his best to be civil to them when they're around.  He's the better man.  He took the rap for them when they nearly got fired for smoking on the job.  He agreed to perform the marriage ceremony for Patty and her lesbian lover.  When Selma wanted to call off her wedding to Sideshow Bob because he hated MacGuyver, Homer made that great speech that he doesn't like every show that Marge watches so when she's watching nonviolent programming he goes for a walk (sometimes to a bar:P) and comes back when her shows are over ready for some lovin.'  He saved Selma's wedding.  Homer is a strong family man and as I said before, never judges.

Homer is America.  He's a bigger American icon than Superman or Captain America.  He may be fat, stupid, and even laughable but if you look deeper you will see that he actually is something worth aspiring towards. Homer and The Simpsons are not perfect.  They're not manicured like the Cleavers.  They have issues, arguments, and problems like every family.  But at the end of the day, they are all loyal and dedicated to each other.  For everything Bart and Lisa say, they love their parents unconditionally.  As exasperated as Homer and Marge get about the kids, they love them unconditionally.  The Simpsons have heart.  And that, to me is America.  America isn't perfect, the world sees America as fat & stupid, but when people actually spend some time in America they see good people with heart. 

And I think this is why he and The Simpsons have been such an enduring presence. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:41:52 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »

Yeah...  I remember tuning in on the day it debuted.  Man...  I also feel old.  Fuck.

Anyway, it's an alright series now.  It's beyond stale, but it's still okay here and there.  Other than this, Family Guy, and the Discovery Channel...  There is nothing on TV I enjoy.  So...  Yeah.

Anyway, I'm gonna go grease the wheels of my wheelchair and enjoy my rice pudding.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »

Last night was the first time I watched a new episode of The Simpsons in like 3 years. It was actually pretty good. As far as the night went American Dad was a lot funnier but Family Guy was kinda lame but had some okay jokes.

I love The Simpsons, there's been ups and downs but you can at least expect a good laugh or two every episode and really any show that creates an episode as good as the Scorpio one deserves to be on TV forever :D

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »

American Dad was a lot funnier

That show is awful, imo.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »

I'm really not a big fan of it myself, especially the first season but it kinda found its own legs and while the majority of the time I watch it it's not that great, last night I almost died laughing.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

I feel that while Family Guy and American Dad both have good moments, I think most people would agree with me that's it's not going to leave a mark anywhere near as big as The Simpsons has. I do think that The Simpsons has become weaker over the years, but I still think its superior to at least those other two shows simply for the characters (Guess Dincrest explains it much better than I do). I haven't seen many American Dad episodes but Family Guy just tends to annoy me.

But on topic, how was the episode? I have no idea if I could even access The Simpsons here outside of DVDs. :P
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »

The Simpsons are my Religion.
I've been watching since the beginning and will defend it against all nay-sayers until I die. As for the competition, I like Family Guy a lot but it'll never hold a candle to the Simpsons in my book.  It's funny as shit to me but it's just not the same.

"Kindly deeds..done for free". That was awesome:D

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »

I do like American Dad, but Simpsons will always, always be #1 in my heart.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »

Fuck Family Guy, American Dad, and the Simpsons, put Bender back on TV.  :(((

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »

Fuck Family Guy, American Dad, and the Simpsons, put Bender back on TV.  :(((