Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 01:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327864 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XII X 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII X 3  (Read 12535 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2006, 07:27:52 PM »

Quote from: "V-Dawg"
I got a FFVIII/FFX vibe from the trailer. Must be the whole quasi-futuristic setting and design of everything. Except that I didn't particularly like either of the aforementioned titles. Why can't they make another FF akin to FFIX? Whyyyyy?

Because hippo people suck.

I couldn't really get into FFIX despite how much I wanted to; I'll just have to try and replay it at some point. I'd prefer a FFIV/VI vibe successfully translated to a 3D FF, and the closest I see to that happening is FFXII. Nevertheless, I'm equally (maybe moreso right now) interested in the style of setting that FFXIII promises: Want to see more sci-fi RPGs, even though technically FF isn't the most fitting series to pull that off in. :P
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2006, 07:54:27 PM »

I kinda liek the way the majority of FF's did it.  Past-like state with a futuristic tinge.  Like having motors in a renaissance-esque era (a la FF6).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2006, 08:39:14 PM »

To me, FFIX felt the most...well, Final Fantasy. It had that whole fantastical, magical thing going on with its locales and characters and everything.  And it didn't even feature a whiny, androgynous, emo teenager as a protagonist (for once). For some reason though, too many people disliked it, it seems.

And the only hippo people I remember were NPCs that didn't really have much to do with the story. Or were there more? It's been a while since I played the game. I really enjoyed that aspect, though. It sorta felt like one of those older Disney cartoons.

While sci-fi-themed RPGs were once upon a time something I really would have looked forward to, after several high-profile games *cough*Xenosaga and Star Ocean*cough*, I'm not too thrilled at such a premise alone.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2006, 08:45:16 PM »

I'm not too thrilled at such a premise alone.

Alone, ehh, maybe not.  I dunno, I always found diversity was a good way to go.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2006, 10:43:23 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Actually, it was specifically mentioned that it was the first FF with a fully futuristic setting - no more 'lawls we have a super fast airship - let's ride chocobos'.

Does that mean the game won't have any fantasy elements, or that the elements will be designed as such that they would make sense in the futuristic setting?  

I can actually understand why they would go that route, actually.  One thing that was jarring about the opening movie for Final Fantasy XII was seeing the foot soldiers fight with arrows and swords while the airships flying above were using high technology weaponry.

noblearrogant

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 03:54:17 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Y'know, pointless commentary isn't the best way to introduce yourself on a forum. You might want to actually contribute.

I was talking about how i can't believe it's a final fantasy game since it looks so good,not actual butter
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 04:01:40 AM »

Context helps you know. Otherwise it just sounds like spam. Anyhow, I tremble to even ask this question, but what the heck is bad about Final Fantasy in the first place?
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 10:25:11 AM »

I thought the video sucked.  
I'm not the biggest fan of such over the top action.  Everything was just so exaggerated.
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 10:38:11 AM »

Quote from: "MonCapitan2002"
Does that mean the game won't have any fantasy elements, or that the elements will be designed as such that they would make sense in the futuristic setting?
I'd expect the second one. Just to keep the basic marks of a FF (like the summons, chocobos and shit. Fantasy elements that would need to be converted into a futuristic model).
Btw it reminded me of this:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=060411

Anyhow, I tremble to even ask this question, but what the heck is bad about Final Fantasy in the first place?
I too have this question.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »

Quote from: "Testament"
I'm not the biggest fan of such over the top action.  Everything was just so exaggerated.

Because clearly, things that don't mesh with your preconceived notion of enjoyable 'suck'. Good reasoning.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »

Because clearly, things that don't mesh with your preconceived notion of enjoyable 'suck'. Good reasoning.

Actually, I agree with him, and it has nothing to do with preconceived notion or anything. I just don't enjoy this silly over the top, mindless and senseless action, typical in Japanese stuff. You know, some people might enjoy, but when I see those action scenes in Metal Gear games, I tend to laugh my ass off... if I am in a good mood.
Another example would be Advent Children; Cloud jumping - more like flying - in the sky, doing all those "cool" stuff. Sorry, it's just not my thing.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2006, 08:22:49 PM »

What else I'm I suppose to say about it?  This thread is about opinion regarding what is known about FFXIII.  I didn't look good to me, such over the top action is not my cup of tea (well, without a proper explanation).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2006, 09:39:11 PM »

While I don't agree with their opinions of the movie, I do think that if they want to say they /think/ it sucks, then by all means they can. Besides, I recall you constantly saying "DQ sucks" when DQVIII came out just because you didn't like it... :P
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2006, 09:48:51 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
While I don't agree with their opinions of the movie, I do think that if they want to say they /think/ it sucks, then by all means they can. Besides, I recall you constantly saying "DQ sucks" when DQVIII came out just because you didn't like it... :P

Just for the record, it was Testament who said he did not like it. I merely said I dislike this over the top action scenes. ;)
As for the trailler, I barely payed attention to it.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2006, 06:05:10 AM »

I'm generally not a fan of such over-the-top action (I really didn't like FFVII-AC), but still thought the trailer looked pretty sweet.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: