Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:42:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328022 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Oblivion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 31514 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Thought this might interest someone:
Gamespot is going to have some crazy, 12 hour live video feed of nothing but Oblivion. Watching other people play a game is always boring as hell, but this might be worth checking out just for the sheer bizzareness of the thing.

I'm a fag....i watched some of it.

It was good. Like...Jesus coming down to bless my Cap'n Crunch good. And turning my Crunch Berries into goodness in a corn puffed ball of AWESOME.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2006, 05:51:53 PM »

The load times that are that long are thankfully only for when loading into a city and other major areas such as Oblivion or comming back out. I watched about 7 hours of that Gamespot Oblivion marathon. I liked what I saw. The voice acting is very good. I also like the atmospheres in the dungeons. Combat looks very fun. Enemies are actually intelligent. Ranged spellcasters and archers will actually aim for where you are moving too. Things like that. Enemies can hurt each other.

One thing that I noticed is that when you're in the wilderness, loading happens a lot. Although they are brief half second loads of the draw in grass and such. I can live with it though seeing as their is a lot of stuff. It seemed to happen more when on horseback.

Unfortunately my preorder didn't come in. Apparently there was a massive failure to ship the collectors editions in the eastern region. Apparently mine and others CE's were sitting in a warehouse this morning when they were supposed to be shipped. Oh well, I'll still get it tomorrow. Though, I was ticked. I payed for one day air and got two days.

On a side note, from watching the guy on gamespot Greg Kasavan play Oblivion, I've got to say he sucks. Me and a friend who were chatting while he played noticed he managed to go in circles numerous times over and over getting confused. He died many times through the times I watched the game. It took him a long time, but he finally started to block attacks and such.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2006, 10:21:15 PM »

If anyone missed out on the marathon of Oblivion Gamespot has a downloadable video of the highlights. It's only 250ish MB so shouldnt take forever to download/watch.

Oh and the end of the highlights....HILARIOUS!!!!! The fire alarm in the CNet Building went off a little prematurely.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Takabo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2006, 10:40:05 PM »

I don't want to pull myself away long enough to type too much, so I'll just say it's everything a person could dream of and more.  Also of interesting note, RPGFan is quoted in the Making Of disc.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2006, 10:12:35 PM »

Wilderness loads are instantaneous to very shotr, depending on your buffer settings. I modded out the loading area... message because the loading is so... seamless.

Also, even thogh I'm running it at, like, 640 x 480, with only 2x antialising, and no bloom, it STILL looks fantastic. In part because the low resolution lets me jack up every other setting ^____^

I'm sort of annoyed about people saying that Radiant AI isn't delivering. Jesus, procedural AI is not perfect, and it's probably never going to be perfect for conversations unless a LOT of progress is made on Sbaitso's, MegaHALs, and other conversation bots. The general response is, "Well, gee, you did a lot, but because you didn't do EVERYTHING I wanted, you didn't really do anything." How many games have actually had generative conversations like this. That usually make some semblence of sense, that is. Sims doesnt count. You MIGHT be able to consider the Creatures games. But in an RPG? Gothic's the closest thing, I guess, and even though it was more consistent, it was nowhere near as fleshed out as what Oblivion has. I guess it's a matter of being rational and not coming up with really impossible expectations.

Also, people need to stop complaining about the draw distances. If they want the grass and everything to be draw in to the full extent of the view distance -- which is somewhere on the range of, like, five or so game miles -- then they'd really need a computer that doesn't exist yet.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2006, 11:08:01 PM »

I don't get a great framerate, even with my Athlon 64 X2, 2 gb of ram and a 7800 GTX, but I've found a reasonable compromise between playable and pretty.

1280x720 (xbox 360 res)

grass maxed (I love the grass.. honestly.. I need it <3)

actors 3/4 of the way (I like being able to see deer, wolves, bandits and goblins from far away)

20-35 fps outdoors, sometimes in the teens when fighting or in heavy foliage (I really don't like the framerate drops.. but I'm in love with the game anyway)

40-100 fps indoors, almost never drops below 40.. very smooth.

As for the gameplay.. I've got a level 2 Agent named Aleria

I've played roughly 8 hours and I've only done 1 or maybe 2 quests and I don't even have a horse. I've completely ignored the main quest thus far >.>

I could spend hours wandering around those lush forests exploring, gathering ingredients for potions and hunting, not to mention cleaning out caves full of bandits and goblins. I even found one that was full of Vampires >=) (their dust will make for an interesting potion later on, me thinks!)

Just fantastic, honestly.. Also, RAI really adds life to the characters.. I met a drunk guy and he starts singing and I've yet to hear more than 1 unnatural conversation.

I'll be playing this for months, I can tell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Robobandit/Oblivion/deer.jpg

(Picture of my character with one of her trophies)
Takabo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »

The experience on the 360 is fantastic.  There's a tiny bit of studdering every once in a while in the wilderness, and the pop-up is occasionally noticable (especially the grass), but everything looks so solid and amazing the problems are absolutely forgettable.  Seeing the game on an HDTV is just amazing, truly miles beyond anything we've had up to now.  I was climbing a mountain path, far north of the capital, and stopped to look around for a while.  From the top of that mountain I could see for MILES in every direction, including the Imperial City in the middle of the plains.  That, I thought, is what next-gen RPGs will be like.  Loading is no worse than Morrowind, but it of course is a bit steeper than the average console RPG.  Controls feel spot on with the 360 pad, and combat feels smooth and natural.  I HATED Morrowind fighting, so it's a very welcome improvement.  It seems that they realize that combat isn't as tedious now, because random fights seem to have jumped up a bit.

I haven't really noticed anything unusual with the Radiant AI, but all the NPCs seem a bit more natural in their behavior.  I did find a naked guy, in the forests, punching deer, but I'm not sure if it was scripted or an AI meltdown.  Either way it was amusing.

Code:
The most tedious, least enjoyable part of the game so far is the main story, actually.  The first Oblivion gate was awful, easily the least fun I've had with the game.  It takes away so much of what I like about the game, being in a small, ugly area filled with enemies.  I don't mind so much the combat, but so much of it in an uninteresting environment isn't very fun.  The main quest seems to have picked up a bit and is becoming enjoyable, so hopefully the rest won't be like that.  Either way it's made me stick to random side-questing for now
[/quote]
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2006, 03:08:35 AM »

Quote from: "Andrmgic"
I don't get a great framerate, even with my Athlon 64 X2, 2 gb of ram and a 7800 GTX, but I've found a reasonable compromise between playable and pretty.

Don't know whats wrong there mate, but I have the following:

P4 3.06Ghz
6800GT 256
1gig DDR

and I get 30-50 FPS outdoors with most of everything on high and a few things maxed, like draw distance and textures.

Maybe you have to many background programs running, or have ram leaks. Try running the following. go to Run and type in MSconfig and go to selective start-up click on the apparant setup and hide all disable all, then run. you should notice a vast improvement in speed.

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
Quote from: "Andrmgic"

Don't know whats wrong there mate, but I have the following:

P4 3.06Ghz
6800GT 256
1gig DDR

and I get 30-50 FPS outdoors with most of everything on high and a few things maxed, like draw distance and textures.

Maybe you have to many background programs running, or have ram leaks. Try running the following. go to Run and type in MSconfig and go to selective start-up click on the apparant setup and hide all disable all, then run. you should notice a vast improvement in speed.

I only have 29 processes running and I've noticed that Oblivion barely uses my cpu at all.. so I don't think it is a problem with my machine, as I have things pretty stripped down in terms of windows.

would you mind taking some shots of your graphics options in-game? That would be helpful.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2006, 09:48:37 AM »

Sure thing, I'm at work currently, will be tomorrow morning or this evening when I post them.

Another possibly reaosn is are you runing your firewall or Anti-Virus protection in the background?

Download Ad-aware and anti-spyware programs to clean up your PC.also, go to www.morrowind.com and download the new N-Vidia drivers especially for Oblivion. Otehr things taht might help are opening your Graphics card tray and setting performance to "performance" instead of "quality" also turn off things like auto-alias and DDbuf.

Will get some screenies to you soon.

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2006, 09:50:41 AM »

I only have 29 processes running and I've noticed that Oblivion barely uses my cpu at all.. so I don't think it is a problem with my machine, as I have things pretty stripped down in terms of windows.

29 is still a good few, I only have 10-15 runing at any one time. sorry for double post.

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2006, 10:12:37 AM »

none of them are unauthorized processes, and I've got a dual core cpu.. so really I'm positive they aren't causing problems. (system idle process says near 99% almost all the time.. so I don't think my cpu cycles are being burned up )

There are a lot of other people with rigs similar to mine that are unhappy with their performance also.

edit: I also have the new performance enhancing driver from Nvidia, but I probably should have mentioned that I have applied a couple of .ini tweaks that lower my framerates somewhat in exchange for nicer texture at a distance.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2006, 11:06:57 AM »

Yeah, its quite ironic, I've read that lots of poeple with high end systems are experiencing problesm while poeple such as myslef with med-high systmes are having a good experience. There are many many things you can do though, such as disabling all of the windows effects such as shadows on bars and fading effects. These will all help free up space and improve your FPS. On another note I do only play 1024x768 resolution, maybe this is the reason for my apparant boost in performance over you, then again the 6800GT can hold it's own. I get 70 FPS constant in games like Doom 3 and F.E.A.R with almost everything on full.

Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »

An interesting two bits. I was doing the First gate quest and I noticed, combat can go ugly very very fast. I was level two entering the gate so there were 3 scamps and two clanfear. I had three allies and my allies got wiped out quickly. Needless to say after slaying all the scamps, I had the two clanfear which managed to wear me out. I then reloaded and fought again only to have everyone survive and have no trouble at all. In the first load the enemies all ganged up on one guy at a time taking him out quickly. I just found this interesting. I'm considering maxing the difficulty, but I'm sure I'd get toasted fast.

Later in the game I was travelin to bruma and I stumbled onto Two guards and a bandit who were all killing each other. This was awesome to see. The two guards were firing arrows into each other. I thought one of them had to be a bandit but sure enough they were both guards.

The radiant AI is cool. It certainly does add atmosphere to the game. As far as voice acting is concerned. It is very good. I've only heard one part where the dialogue was wierd sounding. It was when several Blades shouted out a name at once. Other than that, nothing bad so far.

I too noticed some pop ups, but it isn't a real bother. I honestly don't take any notice of the short draw in grass. I guess I get drawn into the game. I do notice that the game does bog down a little more when on horseback. Seems to have to load a lot more even though they are brief pauses.

On horses. Horses in my opinion seem a lot easier to control in third person rather than first person. They're animation is good too.

On load times; maybe my xbox 360 is wierd. The initial load time into a saved game is very long. Atleast 40 seconds occasionally. However, during the game it's usually upwards to about 10-20 transitioning into a city.

Thats pretty much all that I have to post for now on gameplay till I play a bit more.

I'm one of those unfortunate souls who lacks an HDTV. I'm playing on a 1985 Sony T.V. The T.V. is still good though. It'd just be cool to play it on an HDTV or something bigger than 20".
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
Yeah, its quite ironic, I've read that lots of poeple with high end systems are experiencing problesm while poeple such as myslef with med-high systmes are having a good experience. There are many many things you can do though, such as disabling all of the windows effects such as shadows on bars and fading effects. These will all help free up space and improve your FPS. On another note I do only play 1024x768 resolution, maybe this is the reason for my apparant boost in performance over you, then again the 6800GT can hold it's own. I get 70 FPS constant in games like Doom 3 and F.E.A.R with almost everything on full.

I disabled all of that extra crap in windows a long time ago hehe.

the 6800 GT is still a pretty good card.. oddly enough, my framerate isn't too much lower if I'm doing 1280x720 or 1680x1050, I'm still enjoying the game even if performance isn't stellar.

I can play F.E.A.R. pretty well with everything maxed (minus soft shadows, they look like crap anyway, imho), 2x fsaa, 16x aniso at 1680x1050 and never drop below 25 fps, and usually stay over 40.

Oblivion detects my setup at "ultra high quality" and 1024x768, but I don't like playing that resolution with my 21" lcd, so I push things higher and disable the default v-sync to give me more frames.

I just wish there was more of a compromise between v-sync indoors and v-sync outdoors.. my framerates skyrocket inside, but outside they drop off
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: