Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334522 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Oblivion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 32328 times)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2006, 01:04:57 PM »

Well lets be honest Oblivion heralds a new generation of what we expect to see fomr games, after seeing the draw distance and actually feeling like I am in a living world where I can go outside a walk for miles you have to come to terms with the fact that the technology in game far out weighs whats on the market for hardware, or rather whats the average on the market. have fun though.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2006, 01:18:08 PM »

I want to clone myself.

Fuck Konami for releasing Suikoden V on the same day as Oblivion.

Fuck Bethesda for releasing Oblivion on the same day as Suikoden V.

Just.....FUCK. Oblivion rules.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2006, 02:02:10 PM »

Despite my earlier fears, the game shipped and is on it's way. Should have it next week.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2006, 04:21:49 PM »

Oblivion does indeed kick serious ass.  After playing for a couple of hours as a Dark Elf battlemage though,I decided to start over.  I have decided to go as a custom class Breton after getting a feel for the game and what I want to specialize in. I got it for the 360 and it actually froze on me last night for some reason and I had to restart the console...I certainly hope this was a freak occurance.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
Well lets be honest Oblivion heralds a new generation of what we expect to see fomr games, after seeing the draw distance and actually feeling like I am in a living world where I can go outside a walk for miles you have to come to terms with the fact that the technology in game far out weighs whats on the market for hardware, or rather whats the average on the market. have fun though.

Very very good point, SB....BUT the fact that the game is a system hog could  be a good thing: longevity. If people miss out on the game 'cause it requires so much in the resource department, that could mean better sales over the next couple years. One would hope Bethesda and 2k Games keep the game in everyone's mind with FUN expansions (sorry, but Morrowind: Blood Moon was retarded).

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »

I too had the game freeze once on me. It was after I was exiting a conversation. So far I have managed to murder someone. No idea how though. Most likely in combat. Oh well.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2006, 05:23:11 PM »

To the guy who mentioned he was running at 1280x720 (xbox 360 res):

If you drop this to about 800 x 600, or even 1024 x 800, it'll still look quite absolutely fine, and you can turn up all the other settings a LOT. Oddly, it seems that resolution is one of the main drains on FPS this time around.

Also, the conversations aren't that bad at all. Real life conversations are actually incredibly circular and odd. Natural human conversational speech is JUST north of being gibberish.

This is, by far, the most difficult TES ever. Arena could get tricky, but both MW and DF were rather easy (unless you found a lich in DF, or a Sixth House Base in DF). I did this one quest where I got bumrushed by MANY gobliny trollthings.

Also, it's a lot more... fulfilling to go around solid-snaking this time around.

The horses are very anatomically correct. *VERY*

After playing Shadow of the Colossus, I'm sorta spoiled about horse control :P

Anyway, I have a neat idea for a mod. The wolves are too freaking adorable to kill. Seriously. I set their aggression to 5, and instead of attacking, they just prance around, waggling their tales and acting positively adorable. Anyway, so I figure, it SHOULD be fully possible to do some simple RAI scripting that gets them to roam in packs and hunt down deers.

BTW, as for mods, i've made three -- one to make wolves passive, one to turn of that stupid "Loading Area..." message (WTF? There's no load time. Why is that even there?), and, er, one to turn of some spell effects because whatever shaders they're using causes my system to barf.

BTW, PC users. If you want to name your save games, do this:

Press ~ to get into the console

Type this:
save insertyourgamenamehere

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2006, 07:00:24 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Also, it's a lot more... fulfilling to go around solid-snaking this time around.

Oh hell yes, especially with a good bow.

... Of course, there was that one time I went to talk to someone and forgot I was Sneaking and got busted for pickpocketing.  Right up there with mounting the wrong horse early on and getting instantly wailed on by the two NPCs that are plot trailing you at that point.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 11:01:57 PM »

I wanna make it so you can companion wolves by feeding them :( There's one in a vampire lair and I feel bad for it :(

Anyway, need to figure out how I can force Anisotropic filtering. ATI cards, when playing Oblivion, work VERY BADLY with any AA on because... well, massive slowdown occurs with certaub spell effects or Oblivion gates. Some sort of wave-shaped shader. running it in 800 x 600 gets rid of the jaggies somewhat -- and without AA, it's actually fast enough to be playable, there. and oddly, it STILL runs better than MW -- but I'm still trying to see if I can get them even more. Also, bloom doesn't seem to be working without AA for some reason :( Then again, it's been overcast for a day or so, so perhaps the light's just bad :P

Sorta worried about the quests. Seen a few "find me X number of Ys" Now, I don't mind search-and-find quests like this at all, and truthfully, one seems pretty nonlinear (involves finding wine in ruins). However, they're not terribly involved. So while fun and light, I hope most of the quests are longer and more indepth. Especially since there are only 170 odd this time, which is less than MW. As I said though, the wine one looks pretty long and involved.

I'm not as miffed about the inability to wear clothes plus armor at the same time. It makes it a lot easier to dress and undress my char. In MW, I'd have to manually dequip all this crap. In Oblivion, it sort of works out.

Dialogue still sorta bugs me. I just wish there were more topics, I guess. Then again, Oblivion's closer to Wizardry and Ultima 5-8 than any other TES games, as far as writing goes (and in reality, it reminds me a bit of Xeen, too). So I guess this is an improvement.

Maybe Bethesda'll release a dialogue expansion or something.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2006, 09:46:43 AM »

I'm just chilling till that first patch comes out and I can hopefully run my copy on my computer. And till then, I'm saving up for a new video card.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »

I'm hoping to have a new computer in a few years to play this :) Maybe by then a lot of kick ass expansions and such will be out. My computer now can finally play morrowind well....sigh.
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2006, 12:41:45 PM »

Slightly too easy to kill teammates.  AI is apparently not good enough to avoid running in front of a charged sword move.  Messed around in the arena the other day, and got pretty good at single fighting, but man, they really make you work to overcome a 2v1.  I think I like it, but I have a feeling I'm going to get swarmed later in the game and it's going to be a little bit annoying.

My highest skill being Light Armor also makes me feel a little insecure.
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2006, 03:35:33 PM »

I do agree. They really do make you work hard in fights. I think it makes it better though. Not really just another senseless battle. Fighting three on one is pretty nasty. Open space is a warriors best friend. I usually have to strafe a lot when fighting. I went with these particular skills and such for my character. Nord, Combat Specialization, Strength and Endurance. Blade, Marksmen, Heavy Armor, Block, Restoration, Security, and Stealth.

Though I'm considering restarting and replacing Security for another skill. Perhaps Destruction, alchemy, armor repair, or Acrobatics. The ability to do dodge rolls sounds very tempting, and having it earlier could be nice. I'm the type of person who likes the look of his characters, so I refuse to play wood elf, khajiit, or high elf for the sole fact that they look retarded. Nords, Bretons, and Imperials are pretty much what I like. I'll most likely take Nords and Bretons out of those three because of the fact that they have better skills and attributes.

As for the quests, I guess it depends on which quests you do. I've had two pretty cool quests. One which I guard this guys store overnight to catch burglars, and the other to follow someone to see what they do.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2006, 05:11:15 PM »

dasch:

While I don't doubt your claims that your PC can't run this, the engine is a LOT better than Morrowind's. In fact, Oblivion still runs a bit faster than Morrowind for me.

What's your hardware anyway?

BTW, as for the companion NPCs not avoiding your swinging, I doubt this is an AI problem most of the time. Realistically, if you're fighting a mob, ganging up on a single enemy probably will get a bit of interference. If it's one enemy, though, there probably should be AI checks to let the companions... not gang up. The only problem is that I'm pretty sure Oblivion doesn't do any targetting, so you probably can't realistically judge who's fighting who. If you can, though, it'd be a pretty easy fix. I also believe there's a gamesetting or ini key for turning of the ability to attack companion NPCs, if it gets too problematic.

Erm... dunno about mods, yet. I feel that oblivion is a LOT more cohesive and consistent than Morrowind, so, aside from maybe some companions or crafting, I don't see much of a need for them. I'd like a dialogue expansion of some sort -- additional topics to ask, say, the black horse courriers more ABOUT the couriers, but this is something Bethesda'd have to do (and unlike horse armor, something I'd actually pay for). Frankly, I think I'd much rather just learn the CS this time around and make my own mods.

Also, the Khajiits don't look retarded. They just take some additional work in facegen to get them looking badass :P

on that note, I don't really mind the NPCs looking ugly. It's not really a modelling glitch this time (Morrowind warped heads and miswrapped head textures. They were actually bearable when not in game. Sort of), so much as it is... well, they're just ugly. Frankly, as much of an improvement Better Heads was, everyone looked a little to shiny and clean with it sometimes. The grungier, paunchy looking people are really more realistic, and they feel more organic. I've got four little nitpicks, though.

A) The specularity on the hair just tends to look odd.
B) The wrinkles only seem to cover the face, and not... anywhere else, so the character looks more like a burn victim than old. Similarly, they're not shaded properly, although there's an ini key which helps this, although it crashes the new game creation (apparently fine with saves. I expect this will be getting patched).
C) The elves' eyes are WAAAY too slanty.
D) Really, really bad lip textures.

Probably SOL with the eyes because I believe slant is controlled in the facegen perameters. Lip textures should be fixable, though.

I'm kinda liking the search and find quests now. In a linear game, those sort of things are annoying, but in something like TES, it feels natural and fits the freewheeling nature of the game. It's not "Fine 7 xs to progress." It's "do what you will. If you find some X, bring it here."

Anyway, biggest thing I've noticed is how... almost oldschool it feels. Perhaps this is just because MW probably had one of the most radically unique fantasy settings in a modern RPG (that, in many ways, seems based out of 1700's America and Australia). I doubt it though. Oblivion just has this really... not really archaic feeling to it, but almost a weird timelessness. It's the sort of thing people don't really make anymore.

On an entirely unrelated note, the entirety of the morrowind.com Oblivion community seems to have caught a bad case of the retarded.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

Well I've been playing quite a bit, and tbh I still don't know what Class/Race to go, I've been fiddling about all day and still haven't decided on one, its quite difficult.

I like the Idea of being a Championed Warrior or a Dark Knight, but I alos like the idea of being a Theif/Archer/Assassin type character or a Battle MAge... sigh I really dunno what to do :/

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: