Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 10:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335175 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Oblivion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 32492 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2006, 05:38:27 PM »

I was honestly surprised at how well Oblivion ran on medium setups at 1024x.  We've got it running on a 3.4GHz P4 laptop with 1gb of RAM and a 128mb Radeon 9700.  It runs fine.  It runs better on our X700, of course, but I was surprised that it was smooth on that laptop.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2006, 06:48:08 PM »

yeah, it runs pretty well for what the game is trying to do and a lot better than Morrowind as was previously noted.

I think most of the people complaining about performance just expected an efficient engine in the vein of Half-Life 2 that flies on low end rigs or were expecting flawless next-gen graphics (full detail, as far as the eye can see) at 60 fps on their super computers :)
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2006, 07:56:36 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
BTW, as for the companion NPCs not avoiding your swinging, I doubt this is an AI problem most of the time.

Oh, right.  I forgot that I display my faultless intelligence by running directly in front of an already-swinging blade while I'm almost dead from loss of blood.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2006, 11:10:41 PM »

Oblivion is so awesome. I'll be in the Imperial City the whole time. I just joined the Thieves Guild and am also doing this quest trying to exploit a merchant somehow selling items for low prices and followed a guy connected with him to his house but I don't know how to get in.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2006, 11:24:36 PM »

Avoid the hell out of bound items. Seriously. They neither desummon, and if you try to, like, equip over them, the gane crashes :(

---edit---

The other night I was exploring this vampire lair. Lots of bodies hanging from the ceilings. Decomposed, red, fleshy, drippy looking bodies -- lovingly bumpmapped and with gorgeous specular highlights. Some were nailed to the wall. Some were nailed to the wall and burning for some weird reason. Yeah. Most unnerving thing since I found that hanged man in one of Daggerfall's dungeons (or, since a certain scene in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Massive spoiler, but it was a very, very eerie scene).

And then today, I'm travelling up to bruma and I'm attack by a chick with an axe. My sword is broken, so I have to punch her to death. Dunno why blood decals aren't showing up on my sword, but when you punch, you see a lot of blood on your guys hands. Oh, and wolves too. When you punch something to death in Oblivion, it comes off as a LOT more... wet feeling than with swords, I guess. Not to mention that when I killed that axe bandit woman, I could've very well taken all of her clothes off and proceded to beat her corpse. Which would've flopped around because of the ragdoll physics.

I'm really, really surprised it's not M-rated. Not that I mind, but ESRB's inconsistency annoys me endlessly.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2006, 01:31:16 AM »

9.6 on Gamespot!

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/review.html?sid=6146657

NIIIIICE. It deserves every point.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2006, 01:38:07 AM »

Quote from: "Sazabirules"
Oblivion is so awesome. I'll be in the Imperial City the whole time. I just joined the Thieves Guild and am also doing this quest trying to exploit a merchant somehow selling items for low prices and followed a guy connected with him to his house but I don't know how to get in.

Just wait outside his door.. he'll come out eventually. (If you don't actually want to leave and come back, just use the wait command.. he wanders around the cemetary in the afternoon for some reason... just pick the lock to his house and look around.. ::not saying more::)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2006, 03:25:54 AM »

Quote from: "Andrmgic"
yeah, it runs pretty well for what the game is trying to do and a lot better than Morrowind as was previously noted.

I think most of the people complaining about performance just expected an efficient engine in the vein of Half-Life 2 that flies on low end rigs or were expecting flawless next-gen graphics (full detail, as far as the eye can see) at 60 fps on their super computers :)

Thats what I was thinking, like I said earlier though I'm running on full with  1gig ddr and GT6800, although I do sacrfice FPS outside(15-27fps) I dont really care because the "show distant land" feature just makes the game for me, and its not as if FPS really really matters in an RPG, not like in a FPS where every twitch movement counts. For once I am going to say I have sacrficed performance for Qulaity becuase its so god damn beautiful.

So yeah,

Outside 15-27 FPS(35 fps in Oblibvion)
Inside 37-75FPS

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2006, 03:28:12 AM »

Quote from: "Andrmgic"

Just wait outside his door.. he'll come out eventually. (If you don't actually want to leave and come back, just use the wait command.. he wanders around the cemetary in the afternoon for some reason... just pick the lock to his house and look around.. ::not saying more::)

Use the "Code" option please mate, just incase you accidentily post a spoiler, I like to fiure things out myself. Just a little tip ^-^

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2006, 05:33:35 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
And then today, I'm travelling up to bruma and I'm attack by a chick with an axe. My sword is broken, so I have to punch her to death. Dunno why blood decals aren't showing up on my sword, but when you punch, you see a lot of blood on your guys hands. Oh, and wolves too. When you punch something to death in Oblivion, it comes off as a LOT more... wet feeling than with swords, I guess.

I've noticed a bit of difference based on opponent armor type.  Light's more blood, heavy's less.

I was messing around in third-person for visual purposes earlier, and I thought it was kind of funny that if you swap shields when one has an arrow sticking out of it, the new one will too.  And if you switch to a bow or something, you'll have an arrow sticking through your hand.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2006, 07:11:14 AM »

I was messing around in third-person for visual purposes earlier

3rd perons just doesnn't work for me, I mean its nice to see your armour and all taht and its a pity its not more viable to play that way but 1st person is so much easier and alot more atmospheric, 3rd person is nice now and then when your just wandering. But in COmbat its very very difficult to fight as such.

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2006, 07:57:05 AM »

I wasn't a big fan of Morrowind, so it was pleasant surprise to find that I'm actually enjoying Oblivion a whole lot. I love the sense of freedom and exploration in this game, which is not something we've been spoiled with in RPGs recently.

I'm currently playing as a Kajhiit Assassin/Mage/Vampire combo, and haven't touched the main storyline yet. It's awesome. Sucking blood and assassinating people in their sleep is a lot more fun than saving the world from destruction.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2006, 08:58:07 AM »

Code:
About that quest where I waited for the guy, I broke all my lockpicks so I need to buy more. I also need to try breaking in when a guard isn't near by because after using up all my picks and leaving the lockpick screen I was greeted by 5 guards charging at me.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2006, 10:35:50 AM »

Just had one of those moments in Games, you know, the ones where something happens and your like eh?. I was riding my Horse(stolen Horse albeit) through the dense forest, in utter awe at the beauty. Needless to say I was galloping fast, maybe I didn't notice it but a steep drop was coming up... we came to the edge and ran over, the Horse jumped and we left the ground only to land with a mighty thump, I heard the Horse cry, and as I realized this I was on my own two feet. I glanced around to see my Steed's lifeless body spread across the Grass, I almost cried. I almost wept for my fallen companion...

Sheer brilliance.

I love Oblivion.

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2006, 11:28:32 AM »

Code:
About that quest where I waited for the guy, I broke all my lockpicks so I need to buy more. I also need to try breaking in when a guard isn't near by because after using up all my picks and leaving the lockpick screen I was greeted by 5 guards charging at me.

Code:
Make sure you're in sneak mode when you start trying to pick locks.. I broke into his house the first time and I forgot to enter sneak mode.. as soon as I was in the guy's basement a guard ran in and arrested me lol
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: