Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:38:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327997 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Oblivion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 31509 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2006, 12:34:14 PM »

And if you switch to a bow or something, you'll have an arrow sticking through your hand.

Arrows probably in your lodged hand and not your shield, then.

As for Cauton liking Ob but not Morrowind, despite appearing very similar, none of the TES games really ARE. Realistically, they're all (barring Redguard (which I really wanna play :() and Battlespire, and the travels games) very non-linear, have similar skill sets, and... well, they all take place on the same continent. If you look at other freelance games -- Elite, X, GTA (barring the first two, of course), Gothic, Mercenary (lolbscured) -- are pretty consistent among games in their series, at least as far as HOW they're played goes. The game progression and gameplay between the four main TES games, beyond the surface, is completely different.

Also, worth mentioning again, I'm not really a Morrowind fanboy. I like the setting and the story, but I do think that the game is rather flawed. I do adore what the community's hammered it into, though, which is much, much less flawed, and much, much more... good :P

Also, I've cliff dived with a horse before, but it was, er, the prior's horse you can get from Weynon. I'm not sure it can be killed.

Anyway, added a mod that actually affects gameplay (considering turning the passive wolves back on, though. I don't like killing them :(. Might make bears spawn at a lower level or something to compensate. Also wilderness sheep?). The mod in question makes levelling 25 % slower. I'd normally not use this but this is something that really has been slightly irritating me. I hit level three thirty minutes after I hit level 2, and it took me six hours to hit level 2. It's not really the levelling that bugs me so much as it is how easy the minor skills keep raising.

Oh, and I'm running something that affects the talk icons, but that's just an XML patch. The menus are in XML now, which is very useful to modders. I liiiike.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2006, 05:22:53 PM »

Well here's my toon, Lord Victor Corvinus. A Vampire, true Vampire. You'll be able to see my build in the screenshot. Heavy Armour Vampire Knight. Plays cool, I like him.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=395764

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=395768

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2006, 06:16:37 PM »

hehe. I set my low framerate record today.. 14 fps! w000t! (outside, near grass, near a waterfall, pouring down rain and in combat.. yep, that'll do it)

Anyway, the rainstorms in this are just insane.. and I'm still loving the HDR effect and heavy distance fog in the evening.

I've graduated to Bandit in the Thieves guild and have done some more side quests.. and also had a brush with some vampires. Fortunately, I don't think I'm infected and one of them gave me a cool bow =]

Still haven't touched the main quest..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Robobandit/Oblivion/sunset2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Robobandit/Oblivion/heavyrain.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Robobandit/Oblivion/sunset.jpg

I'm tempted to stop playing for a couple of days just so I don't burn myself out on the world, but man.. I never get tired of romping through those forests.

Right now, my character is taking refuge from the rain in a small cave on her way to Bravil. Who knows what lay in wait for her in there!
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2006, 06:41:39 PM »

I've been doing a few Thieves Guild quests and have gotten missions from the Khajit after finishing the ones at the Waterfront. Now I tried my hand at the first MQ part and the first Oblivion Gate is hard as crap because of these Daedra guys. Also is it just me or are bears just FUCKING HARD to kill? Three attacked me on the way to Kvatch.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2006, 06:57:04 PM »

One negative thing about the level of polish this game has, is that the little faults you come across stand out a lot more than they would in other games. The AI is a good example of this, as has been noted earlier in the thread. Some odd things that have happened to me:

Minor Thieves' Guild quest spoilers:
Code:
I've advanced to the point where I'm taking orders directly from the Gray Fox himself. So when I finally met him I thought to myself... What will happen if I try to assassinate the leader of the Theives' Guild? The answer was that he called for the guards. The Gray Fox, the leader of the Theives' Guild, possibly the most wanted man in the entire Empire... called for the god-damn guards. As if that wasn't odd enough, my failed assassination attempt didn't affect my standing in the Guild. Apparently you only get kicked out if you off a beggar, and not when you try to kill the leader of the whole damn thing.

Then there's the fact that you can wait inside somone's house for hours, and they won't care a bit. Or that NPCs can walk on top of you and not notice you, if your sneak skill is high enough. And countless other little things like that.

My favourite part of the game so far has been the Dark Brotherhood missions. They're all pretty varied in how you approach them, and the awards you get for completing them are awesome.

I do wish that more quests in the game had multiple solutions, though. I'm also a little disappointed to see that there are so few instances in which you can betray people. There have been many cases where I've been a negotiator, of sorts, between two factions and I've only had the option to side with one of them. But I guess that what  a game of Oblivion's scope and size adding such options to the quests would have inflated the development time many times over.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2006, 03:07:49 AM »

Morrowind really wasn't scary. Disturbing and parts and rather depressing, yes. Maybe a little freaky. But not really SCARY.

This game just System Shocked me. I go into this dungeon. Kill a skeleton. Yar, pretty routine. Suddenly, ROCKSLIDE! WHAT THE COCKFUCK? So I'm jumping about, the screen's shaking, and there's another skeleton.

Wait, no it's not. It's a mushroom patch. -_-

Then I found a troll, with a bottle of alchie in his hands, sleeping in a barrel. Figured he was drunk, and when I came up to him, he'd pop out in some cool scripted event.

No. He's dead. Somehow, the fact that he didn't do ANYTHING was the most unnerving thing I've seen in an RPG recently.

Also, this dungeon was large -- Oblivion's dungeons are a lot bigger than MW's so far, and generally a lot more unique and really well designed -- so by the time I found the exit I was sort of wildly slashing about :(

Anyway, I do think that a lot of the quests seem a little railed. In Morrowind, there were a lot of slave quests where you could turn the slave over or help them escape, which was neat. then again, maybe there are differences. I'll have to see. Oblivion's quests are a lot better written, though. It's easier to care about the characters.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2006, 09:35:43 PM »

Just got the CE for the X360, and load time's MUCH better than Morrowind's. I'm also glad that they figured out how to do quicker loading of saves, since that pissed me off in the original.

The /feel/ is a lot like Morrowind's, but I guess that isn't surprising. But I've enjoyed it more, despite the hiccups on the X360
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2006, 11:19:40 PM »

Some people have been complaining about the "new" action oriented nature of Oblivion, although really, the series has always been pretty actiony.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2006, 03:30:28 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Some people have been complaining about the "new" action oriented nature of Oblivion, although really, the series has always been pretty actiony.

except in the case of morrowind, you could slash all you wanted but you were still at the mercy of the "to hit" roll xD

I like that whether or not I hit my targets depends on my skill as a player rather than a behind-the-scenes dice roll.

I like having to lead moving targets and compensate for trajectory on long distance shots with my bow :) Physics are the best addition to this game for an archer, imho. (and not outright missing because of the dice roll that I don't see, and not knowing if it was my skill or the outcome of the roll)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2006, 04:17:25 AM »

I've read this complaint a lot over at the official Oblivion messege board, and to me it seems like the usual sort of bitching that happens every time a popular game recieves a sequel that doesn't do everything in the exact same way as it predecessor did.

The biggest complaint over there is that the level scaling in the game sucks, and to a certain extent I can agree with that. It's definently a good thing that boss mobs have an upwards scaling, so that they aren't too weak when you get to them, but it doesn't make as much sense when mobs like wolves and goblins scale to your level. The result is that the game actually becomes harder the more you level (due to higher level mobs having more skills/more hp/seem to have better AI), and not the other way around.

Then there's the people who think that the game has been dumbed down to fit the Xbox360 audience. This seem to happen a lot when the sequel to a previously PC-only game gets released on a console - people said the exact same thing about Deus Ex: The Invisible War. And, while there was some truth to it in that case, I don't see how adding quest markers and fast travel in Oblivion to cut down on unnecessary traveling is dumbing down the game.

And then there are those who feel Oblivion is too linear, or too easy, or too hard, or that the focus on graphics left the gameplay lacking and so on and so forth. The point is, old fans will always complain when they think that their favourite games series has gone too "mainstream".
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2006, 12:09:33 PM »

yeah, those are very good points. I think what most people don't realize, is that things like wolves and rats don't scale beyond a certain point. Everything stops scaling except for 5 monsters or creatures (supposedly all storyline bosses.. but I'm not 100% sure)

There won't be level 30 (or what have you) rats and wolves that drop daedric weapons when you kill them.

As I level, I notice the kinds of monsters I'm encountering change. I'm around level 11 and some of the Aeylid ruins have trolls now, other dungeons have will 'o wisps, some have creatures from the planes of Oblivion  

Code:
(Flame Atronachs, scamps, clannfear)

In that respect, the game has gotten a bit harder and it takes me a few more arrows to kill things than it used to, but I think its mainly because I've primarily leveled in my major skills instead of several others to max out the level bonuses.

My only real complaint about Oblivion's "consolitis" is the UI, which I would like to see shrunk down considerably(I want it to live in the corner of my screen, not be huge and in my face).. but I'm sure a future mod will take care of that anyway
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2006, 01:12:29 PM »

I'm curious what everyone's suggested class was at the beginning and if you stayed with it or created your own class.  I  think I got Scout because I'm a point-and-click adventure lover who needs to examine everything and try to pick them up.  I didn't like some of the main skills so I ended up creating my own.  

As for bugs, I got stuck in a wall.  I went to sit down on a bench and when my character got up, she exited on the side the wall was on and got stuck in the wall.  I had to restart from the autosave.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »

My first time through the tutorial I got Knight as my suggested class, and I played as one for about five hours before realising that it really didn't fit my playstyle at all. So I went back to a save I had right before the end of the tutorial section, and rerolled as custom class. I'd really suggest everyone to create their custom class, as everyone will have a different way of playing the game. One of the really neat things about Oblivion is that you can play it in so many ways.

I too have been stuck in geometry a few times. When you're outside it can be easily solved by using the fasttravel feature, but it's more a pain when it happens inside a dungeon or house. I do hope that Bethesda releases a patch soon that solves this, as well as other (game crashing most importantly) bugs.
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »

My first recommendation was an Agent, and I've kinda stuck with that. The way they suggest a class is kinda cool, but sometimes it isn't accurate.

For instance, I tried one time to get a warrior as recommended, but it selected archer for me (even though I hadn't even picked up the bow)

If the guy is close to being right vs being way off the mark, he says different things which is a nice touch, I think :)

I find that Agent suits my playing pretty well.

Marksmanship
Sneak
Security
Illusion
Mercantile
Speechcraft
Acrobatics

The only geometry I've gotten stuck on are rocks.. but I just fast traveled to my nearest location to get out of them
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2006, 02:16:52 PM »

The scaling system may not beef up the rats, but it's pretty jarring to see highway bandits with full sets of Daedric Armor.

And god, dealing with the Kvatch Gate when there are Spider Daedra....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: