Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 11:36:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331360 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Oblivion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 32002 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2006, 04:54:06 PM »

The level scaling for, er, creatures and NPCs generally works great. It's the item scaling that gets weird. There are several things that can fix this. One is simply toggling a GMST or two. The resultant mod is 300 bytes and, really, it's not even a mod because you technically aren't modifying the game so much as your are changing some internal settings. I think Bethesda realized that this would miff some people, hence it's ease of change.

Some actual moddish approaches change things in a more concrete and effective way, capping generic bandits to, er, iron or steel.

Anyway, I actually like the new interface because it reminds me of DF. However, if you just want smaller icons in the normal UI, there are a few mods that do this. They all are basically alternate XML files for the main menu, so...

On that note, I wonder if you can mod the XML to let you name save games in the menu. Manually save-naming in the console isn't anything, but still. Also, possibly adding some UI hooks for the various settings in the INI? Grass density, for instance.

Anyway, only one real dissapointment so far, involving a certain pirate quest in the Imperial City.

Code:

You can only get out of having to kill ONE of the pirates. I liked those guys :( I didn't wanna kill them.

---edit---

BTW, for those who still play Morrowind, this amused me. It's sort of a before and after shot with a couple of mods installed.

Before:

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/4660/screen112xp.jpg

After:

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/3987/screen101ew.jpg

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2006, 11:46:18 PM »

The level scaling only occurs for the top creature for each type. Such as Lich's and Minotaurs or so says the strategy guide. I couldn't resist for collectors purpose. I've just seen so many people complain about how hard this game is, but most fail to use strategy in fights. My house/roommate for example loves to just run up and rapidly smash the attack button and 9/10 gets killed. He doesn't think to just smash one target, use blocks and distance. Timing the enemies attacks, moving to the side of it, and hitting it with a couple weak hits, helps. For fights with several guys versus one another. The enemies can kill you fast if you let them all gang up on you or if your party fights one on one, but if you get a single monster into a pack of your guys, it drops incredibly fast. For some reason, people want this game to be dumbed down till it's like Morrowind where you need no skill, just smash the attack button. I however like the fact that strategy can lead to a battle being a lot easier. People at the official forums are touting "RPG's aren't supposed to require skill from players, but skills from the game you control", which is kind of retarded since this is an action role playing game. I look forward to getting further into this game, seeing as I'm only level 6 currently.

I created my class as  Nord, combat specialization, Strength, Endurance, block, marksmen, blade, heavy armor, sneak, security, and restoration. I decided to make my character more or less well rounded. Athletics and Acrobatics are more or less useless to stick as a main since the go up so fast, so I decided against it. I like my build a lot, because it allows me to carry a lot and take hits. While having the ability to sneak around and cast heal. My characters drawback is his mana pool which sucks. I can get off a couple heals. I really need to build up some of the magic skills to raise my intelligence and whatnot.

By the way, I think the funnest thing in the game so far is archery. I don't know why, but I just find seeing arrows stuck in a creature and watch it fly back like it was hit by a shot gun looks awesome. Not to mention sniping mines in Oblivion and things of that sort.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2006, 04:01:26 PM »

People at the official forums are touting "RPG's aren't supposed to require skill from players, but skills from the game you control", which is kind of retarded since this is an action role playing game.

The people who are saying that either:

A) Never grew motor skills.
B) Are oldschools fanboys who dislike how action TES is getting even though Daggerfall was JUST this side of Hexen. FIRST PERSON ACTION RPGS USED TO BE COOL. Remember Ultima Underworld, guys? System Shock?

Anyway, I'm probably gonna go back and replay some of the older ones this weekend (and maybe look for Redguard over the following weeks >:D). Hopefully, I'll find some way of making MW's combat... I dunno, either more Oblivionish or more Daggerfallish. considering some combination of the alternate combat control scheme hack that basically works like DF, couples with Combat and Blocking Enhanced.

---edit---

Interesting note about the comment, though. The main detractors claim that it removes RPG elements by placing more emphasis on the player's skills. This presents a sort of interesting, and I believe rather valid, potential definition for what's considered an RPG -- any game where the player's skills, beyond planning, are less important than the abstracted skills of their character. This seems rational, I guess. From this I can extrapolate that any game where both are equally important is an action RPG or something.

Either way, let's not bitch over semantics. I guess I'm just saying, that as far as TES goes, the dice roll thing's NEVER really been appropriate, and in reality, you missed a LOT less in DF than in Morrowind. So yes, I do believe it was toned down in the older games.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2006, 10:07:06 PM »

Anyone running into major bugs with this game? I had one case where a bandit I was fighting remained perfectly still, yet his model was swnging around as he attacked, moved, or whatever. And saves around (after?) that time wouldn't load up correctly, so I couldn't continue with the game.

Thank god I have multiple saves, I'll have to see how back I can load until it's safe, then redo that quest. :P
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2006, 10:31:50 PM »

Only bug I've seen which I think all the games have is two guards shooting each other outside Bruma and I've crashed once.
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2006, 01:50:40 AM »

I like that particular Bruma bug. Though I didn't know it was a bug. It's how I got my silver bow at a very early level. I have to say marksmanship is probably the funnest skill in the game. I don't know what it about it either. There are a couple really nice bugs for getting unlimited cash too. Though I'm not going to take advantage of it, but it is tempting. There are two ways to be exact. One involves being evil, and the other is harmless.

As for the bugs I've encountered. Besides the Bruma one, I have had the game lock up a couple times from just exiting conversations. The xbox 360 then says the disc is dirty or something. I just restart the console.  I save often in the game, so it's no real biggie. I'm sure it'll be patched sometime in the future.

I'm still deciding whether to purchase the new plug-in or not. I usually ride my horse a ways away from combat before I get off to fight. And even if it is a fast wolf, the wolf cannot kill the horse in a quick amount of time, so I'm not really seeing a point for the mod other than it being an aesthetic thing. The thought that this mod could be free after several months like bungies multiplayer map mods, has me considering waiting till later.

I do like how everyone on the TES forums are screaming that Bethesda's charging for mods, is the end of the world. If one does not want to pay for it, then just play without it. No one is allowed to incorporate or build off of official plugins or player created mods, so I fail to see how people think this takes away from their ability to create. I've seen people claim that they took this stuff out of the game, but there is no proof of this that I've seen, unless someone can verify this for me.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2006, 06:58:08 AM »

I wouldn't need armor for my horse since Shadowmere attacks my enemies before I do when I get off it.:)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2006, 07:05:39 AM »

Quote from: "Iolaus"
I've seen people claim that they took this stuff out of the game, but there is no proof of this that I've seen, unless someone can verify this for me.

I haven't seen any real proof of it myself either, but a few people on the official boards have mentioned that there seem to be random NPC dialogue ("See X to buy horse armor") that indicate that the functionality was there at one time, but later removed. If this means that Bethesda intentionally removed it just to be able to sell it on the marketplace at a later date, or if it was removed because they just didn't have time to finish it before the game going gold, is anyones guess.
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2006, 11:15:43 AM »

I would be more likely to believe they just didn't have time to get it working the way they wanted it to before the ship date.

I think I heard them mention horse armor in some of the interviews and how it was being planned for after release because they couldn't implement it properly in time or something.. but I could be wrong.

I'm not going to buy horse armor, but the next two add-ons interest me and will supposedly be even cheaper than the horse armor.. so that will be more worthwhile.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2006, 11:31:14 PM »

I've seen people claim that they took this stuff out of the game, but there is no proof of this that I've seen, unless someone can verify this for me.

A) The horse armor was done a hell of a long time before the game went gold.

B) As for the Orrery, if you load up the CS, you can scrounge around and see a bunch of dead refs to stuff that was supposed to happen with it.

because they couldn't implement it properly in time or something..

Dude, it swaps the horse you have with a different creature that has better defense and a different mesh. That's NOT HARD. The whole mod was, maybe, four hours of work. Is Bethesda that damn incompetent with their own CS?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2006, 02:07:31 AM »

It all comes down to whether or not you want this mod. The only thing restricting about it is that you are not allowed to incorporate any official mods into a user created mod. If you don't feel like paying for it, then don't. I don't plan to at this moment or in the future. As for the CS, is the file and image of the horse there or is it just mentioned in a couple areas. I see people claiming that the Orrery is in the game, but the door is locked. That does not mean it's there and one can't access it. Unless you go into the CS and actually see the room, then you can't really say it was in the game. In lots of games that receive updates such as WOW and UO, you can see areas that are going to be built upon later. They just have a door that cannot be accessed because it doesn't link anywhere at the moment, and there is nothing to link to. There just is a door. In any case, I never did see them mention that Horse armor or any of this stuff was going to be in the game at release, rather after. Perhaps they were trying to implement as much as they could in before shipping.
The final thing is, which most people don't get is, YOU PAID FOR THE PRODUCT YOU GOT at the moment of purchase. You did not pay for any future content.  You may disagree with this logic, but that is your opinion. You can always just wait a year and then buy the game when they give out a platinum hits edition which includes all kinds of features.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2006, 05:54:40 PM »

Unless you go into the CS and actually see the room, then you can't really say it was in the game.

I have, and indeed, there's an unfinished/partially removed orrery. They never bothered finishing it just so they could charge for it later.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2006, 06:57:54 PM »

The mod I want the most is a one adding Cliff Racers. A Fargoth one would be pretty sweet but Thoronir is sort of the new Fargoth.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2006, 07:45:39 PM »

I don't mind stuff like the Orrey or the tower, I just think the horse armor's a shitty purchase. Mind, I also acknowledge that it's Bethesda's right to sell additions like that as they see fit - I just think it's a horrible business choice and they should've either A. given the horse armor for free to entice people into later buying other things, or additional armors, or B. included one of each of the armors with the two upcoming areas. As is, unless it's offered for free later or bunlded with something else, I won't be buying the horse armor. :P
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2006, 05:21:25 PM »

I'm gonna crack open the .bsas and see if I find any potentially incriminating stuff in them. Things that indicate, perhaps, that the horse armor is somehow partially included with the game.

---edit---

Also, it's complete crap that the XBox users get the Orrery first, and that nobody's still certain that the PC will even GET said mod anymore. I mean, I was never planning on buying it, but I WAS going to torrent it and just crack it open to see what the heck it added. Not that I support software piracy, of course.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: