Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 01:00:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332964 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Oblivion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 32209 times)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 06:50:27 PM »

Seriously I am wetting myself at the prospect of Oblivion currently, I've watched all the demo's and its just amazing, simply amazing. Exactly what I want from an RPG.

"wandering through the woods you find an Elven ruin, beseiged by its charms you venture forth unto it's depths..."

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 06:52:33 PM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
Seriously I am wetting myself at the prospect of Oblivion currently, I've watched all the demo's and its just amazing, simply amazing. Exactly what I want from an RPG.

"wandering through the woods you find an Elven ruin, beseiged by its charms you venture forth unto it's depths..."

hehe. I'm tinkering with Morrowind at the moment.. DLing all of the mods to give npcs schedules and pretty up the graphics.. just to tide me over :)
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 07:42:26 PM »

Quote from: "Andrmgic"
DLing all of the mods to give npcs schedules and pretty up the graphics.. just to tide me over :)

Not long now my friend, the wait is almots over and the experience if nothing else will be Epic!

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »

Apparently the 360 has bad load-times or something. Also, as with Morrowind, no mods. That's a *bad thing*.

Also, unlike Morrowind, Oblivion was optimized to run on hardware.

Awesome, I was afraid it'd get a last minute 'delay' like the DDS games have gotten.

Wasn't that an underproduction/shipping/Sony being a bitch error? The game was done and, AFAIK, ready to press, but... well, SCEA. You know how they are.

The only thing I don't make is the X800... but I've got an X700 anyway.

Damn. I've only got an X650. AFAIK, though, the difference isn't that great between the two, speedwise. X800 apparently has much better lighting support, but...

Besides, if it's like Morrowind, the CPU will be a bottleneck -- not the GPU. That's entirely why Morrowind is eternally slow. Any mods that add a lot of background scripts will bog it down. That's also why the games' resolution never seemed to affect performance at all.

anyway, so the stats, basically.

16 miles^2. About as big as Morrowind with expansions. Very nice. Nowhere near as big as DF or Arena, but Arena never had anything outside of the city walls, and DF had even less.

Various minigames. Hesitant at first, but they look like they're pretty Wizardry-esque. That makes me quite happy. Just as long as I don't have to race my horse down a highway while hitting other riders with swords.

Radiant AI. I like this, if they pull it off well. I doubt dialogue will be terribly robust, still, but it's not THAT bad of an issue. Besides, I've come to realize something. Via mods, having some tabula rasa characters isn't necessarily bad.

So, my main concern? It'll take too long to get Morrowind Comes Alive, the Companion mods, and the lot ported over. Hopefully the scripting language is still similar. I don't expect complete compatability, but similar syntax and function would be useful. I hear armor crafting or whatever's still in it, so that's taken care of. As are horses. Buyable houses and boats, perhaps?

Only other main concern, modwise, is that they get rid of companion share -- which would be stupid as hell, because I know Bethesda reads the modding boards and compaion share is the most useful thing they've added via expansions -- and, er, that the nerfed the editor somehow. The former's unlikely. If anything, they'll pre-package some good companions. As for the latter, the morrowind mod community is massive and probably more insane than the ZZT community. Making the modders angry would be unpretty.

Hopefully doubling isn't as likely :/

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 08:15:12 PM »

Buying houses is already in Oblivion, and the npcs have their own schedules, lock doors at night, etc. So I'm not sure if something like "Morrowind Comes Alive" will be needed this time around

They've said that the Radiant AI scripting in the construction set is very powerful and easy to use. In two clicks, you can create a npc whose primary goal is to acquire gold by any means necessary, and he would haul off and rob everyone in town for their gold, even killing them if he had to =D

From everything I've seen, the AI is the real deal and makes the world so much more believable than npcs that stay in their shops and are open all the time.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Awesome, I was afraid it'd get a last minute 'delay' like the DDS games have gotten.

Wasn't that an underproduction/shipping/Sony being a bitch error? The game was done and, AFAIK, ready to press, but... well, SCEA. You know how they are.

I meant "Actual ship date is later than the dates EB and GameStop have", which I was expecting would happen since they're rarely right with their release dates when guessing; maybe this was actually leaked out to them. I know the reasons for each are entirely different, though. :P

Shame about the load times; hoping it's better than Morrowind and, possibly more importantly, they don't reload the /entire fucking game/ each time you load a save. Jesus, that had to have been bad programming.
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 10:39:38 PM »

Actually the load times are fine. I've read every review out so far and each has said the load times were great for both platforms. Apparently loading occurs roughly every minute for a brief 1-2 seconds which I don't think is bad at all considering the system has to generate all kinds of exterior stuff. As for modding and what not. The devs apparently gave the modder even more abilities than in Morrowind. You apparently can create your own spells and effects for the spells now. Apparently creating new quests can be a lot faster because they now gave the feature of building off of current quests. Houses are in the game as mentioned. 10 of them as stated by a dev in an interview. Each is supposed to be expensive. The first you get or probably get is supposed to be haunted. Whats nice is when the game is released, they're supposed to have a couple mods for download. The first is supposed to be horse armor, while the other mentioned one is a holiday/special event expansion. I too cannot wait.

If you guys want a good place for information on the game. Go to the Oblivion forums and click on their unnoficial faq for information on the game. It pretty much has links to every preview, picture, movie, and interviews with the development crew. The main page also has a bunch of previews and interviews listed as well.

I want to see some of these quests in action. Apparently there is a quest where you must find a missing painter and you have to enter one of his oil paintings. Apparently the world when you enter is all done with oil painting. I want to see it in action.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 10:47:28 PM »

I read a preview for this on IGN and apparently the damage you do to enemies isn't location specific. Meaning a head shot will yield as much damage as hitting him in the nads. Which kinda sucks.

Nonetheless, I'm still very much anticipating this. My laptop surely can't play it and I have no 360, but luckily my friend does and he's getting this game. So yeah, I'll be spending a little time at his place in a couple weeks.
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 01:10:45 AM »

I think the game would be too easy if you could get headshots on your targets, so I can kinda understand why they didn't have location-based damage. (People who play marksmen could breeze through the game, whereas melee fighters would have a much harder time, not being as able to aim their swings as an archer can a bow.)

I'm sure someone could mod it in later if they wanted to, though.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 01:18:24 AM »

Quote from: "Iolaus"
Actually the load times are fine. I've read every review out so far and each has said the load times were great for both platforms. Apparently loading occurs roughly every minute for a brief 1-2 seconds which I don't think is bad at all considering the system has to generate all kinds of exterior stuff.

That wasn't what I was worried about, espicially since in that regard Morrowind was just as good. My concern was that each time I start the game it'd be a long load time, or more importantly that it takes forever to load from a save game, no matter where I am. I can deal with one long initial load since it /is/ a huge world with lots of things in it, but there's no reason it should take as long to load up a save game /after/ that, since most of the data should be there. GTA's capable of taking a long initial load then quick reloads, why not Morrowind?
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 01:20:38 AM »

So I'm not sure if something like "Morrowind Comes Alive" will be needed this time around

MCA spawned random NPCs. It wasn't a scheduling mod.

You apparently can create your own spells and effects for the spells now

You could do that in Morrowind :/ I think. Morrowind spells were just constructed from a bunch of base magical types, so... Then again, maybe the people that added entirely new spells used tricky/weird scripting. Who knows?

Apparently creating new quests can be a lot faster because they now gave the feature of building off of current quests.

Wonder how that'll work. MW's quest weren't strictly, er, "Quest Objects" if you will. An actual quest was a lot "fuzzier" than that. Just some bool/non-boolean variable states, and changing dialogue topics and rewards. Wonder if they're back to a qrc/qbn setup ala daggerfall? I hope not :/ That's a pain to work with. Granted, that might be because qbns are majorly black boxes and weird chunks of registers and opcodes :P LEarning them will be amusing, though.

Apparently, even though damage isn't location-based, enemies DO react differently depending on WHERE you hit them. Or I misread that preview :P

Wonder how long till a decent nudity mod comes out XD At least it's not like MW where the original models FREAKING SUCK. They actually have something to work with, here.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 01:25:50 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
You apparently can create your own spells and effects for the spells now

You could do that in Morrowind :/ I think. Morrowind spells were just constructed from a bunch of base magical types, so... Then again, maybe the people that added entirely new spells used tricky/weird scripting. Who knows?

You can. I clearly remember since I have the XBox version, and I managed to make the game enjoyable for myself by exploiting bugs in the spell creation system and make myself super powered.
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 12:06:55 PM »

What I meant was, creating spells through the construction set with totally new abilities, not through the in game spell system that was in Morrowind. Click on this link to one of their journal updates.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_teamprof_banth2.htm
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »

Right. You could do that in Morrowind. I just opened the editor and checked. Unless you mean adding new sub-components.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 05:13:07 PM »

I just hope the difficulty pacing is better than MW. It was too fast and easy to become too powerful in MW I thought.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: