Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334515 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Dooooooooooommm...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dooooooooooommm...  (Read 3555 times)
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »

So, I've never really listened to Doom or Doom Metal all that much, save for My Dying Bride.  But today I listened to an old band called Pentagram and I really liked the track (When the Screams Come).  I've heard the occasional Paradise Lost or Cathedral song, but never really got into it.  I created this topic in hopes that someone can give me some suggestions of some good Doom and Doom Metal to listen to.  :P

Thanks in advance.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 06:52:46 PM »

Let's see...

Old Man Gloom
Doom Riders
Jesu

I don't have time now, but I'll post up some links if you don't find some of the music yourself.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »

Thing with Paradise Lost is that they've changed their sound a lot over the years.  Their album "Gothic" is a seminal doom metal album.  Albums that followed like Icon or Draconian Times were Metallica-esque with a doom vibe.  I personally liked those albums.  Then there were albums like One Second with tracks like Mercy that, while doomy, sounded more like Depeche Mode than metal.  Their latest album In Requiem is awesome.  

I think a majority of doom metal was born out of Black Sabbath.  

Candlemass is a pretty consistent doom metal band.   Their albums are pretty consistent, but 13th Sun's probably their best one.  

And though they're more goth metal than doom, check out ShadowPlay.  http://www.theshadowplay.com/

And though they were more stoner metal than doom, Kyuss was all kinds of awesome.  All their albums were great, especially their self-titled one, which most people refer to as Welcome to Sky Valley.  The band High on Fire is similar to Kyuss.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:24:18 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »

And though they were more stoner metal than doom, Kyuss was all kinds of awesome.  Save for Wretch, all their albums were great, especially their self-titled one, which most people refer to as Welcome to Sky Valley.  The band High on Fire is similar to Kyuss. 

I was just listening to Sky Valley this morning. I was putting new cds on my ipod and I saw Sky Valley. I hadn't listened to it in a while. Great album. It's funny how Josh Homme later went on to form QOTSA. Scott Reeder has a new project too, that's similar to rock/doom.

The links to the bands I posted last night.

http://www.myspace.com/oldmangloom

OMG is members of Isis and Cave In.

http://www.myspace.com/doomriders

Doom Riders has the bassist from Converge.

http://www.myspace.com/officialjesu 

And Jesu is Justin Broaderick, ex-member of Godflesh.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »

Yeah, Dezo, the first thing I thought when I heard Pentagram's vocalist was, "wow this sounds like ozzy."  I find Sabbath inconsistent at best though.  It's sad, Butler and Iommi are Gods, but it's too bad they got stuck with hacks like Bill Ward and Ozzy Osbourne.  :P

Candlemass...  I think I've actually heard them previously.  And if not, I will check em again.

Fadedsun, I'll check out your links when I get home from work!

Where's DR, I need opinions on Cathedral albums.  :(((

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »

Well, since I'm apparently the resident Cathedral expert, I'll just list my favorite albums of theirs and try to link to a Youtube sample from them.

The Garden of Unearthly Delights
The Ethereal Mirror
The Carnival Bizzare
The VIIth Coming

Basically, you'll be alright buying one that has a title with the at the front. :P

Carpathian_Celt

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 02:13:09 AM »

When you say you're looking for Doom Metal recommendations, what... style of Doom? There are a few; classic Doom, Death / Doom, Funeral Doom, etc.

Personally, Death / Doom seems to be the favorite style of Doom Metal among metalheads and it's certainly mine. Here are some good Death / Doom bands I suggest checking out.

- Swallow the Sun

An excellent Death / Doom band from... well, I forgot, but that matters not. Defiantly give their debut record, The Morning Never Came, a listen. It's a modern-day Death / Doom classic, imo.

- Novembers Doom

One of the first Death / Doom bands from America. Great stuff; athough, their later material tends to be more akin to Melodic Death Metal with some Doom elements, but their first few records were pure Death / Doom. Slow, heavy, and had a great atmosphere. Amid It's Hallow Mirth and To Welcome the Fade is Novembers Doom finest hours, imo.

- Daylight Dies

A fairly solid Death / Doom band. I've only heard their latest record, Lost to the Living, and it's pretty good. I've heard their first two records are superior, though, so.

- Theatre of Tragedy

A band that's been around for awhile and while their newer material isn't Death / Doom at all, their earlier stuf was. I suggest picking up Velvet Darkness They Fear. It has some Gothic elements to it, such as the whole 'beauty & the beast' approach to the vocals, ie. death metal gutturals from the male and operatic vocals from the female singer.

- Katatonia

Another band who's newer material certainly isn't Doom Metal at all, but their older stuff is classic Death / Doom. Go with Brave Murder Day; Mikael Akerfeld provides the death metal-esque vocals on the record, which is the primary vocals, so... score! And while we're on the topic of Katatonia, I also suggest giving October Tide a listen. It's a side-project with members of Katatonia. The music is in the vein of Brave Murder Day-era Katatonia, so if you enjoy that record, give October Tide a listen.

- Draconian

While they're more Doom / Goth, they're similar to older Theatre of Tragedy. And their debut record, Where Lovers Mourn, is great. Has quite a bit of Doom elements.

And of course, you can't forget the classic Death / Doom bands; Paradise Lost, Anathema, and My Dying Bride. As Dincrest stated, older Paradise Lost is excellent for Death / Doom, so give Gothic a listen. Older Anathema is also good for Death / Doom. And yeah, you're already fond of My Dying Bride, but if you haven't heard Turn Loose the Swans, get that mother-fucker now. It's excellent.

In terms of Classic Doom, go with Candlemass, Trouble, Cathedral, and Pentagram.

Funeral Doom is... eh, not my thing, so I can't really recommend much in terms of that style, heh.

Hope I helped some, sir.

"We all need somebody to hate!" - Carcass.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 07:24:50 AM »

Definitely, DEFINITELY check out Reverend Bizarre. Awesome doom metal with pretty monstrous grooves. Get the 'II: Crush the Insects' album if you can. DO IT.

Also check out some early Anathema. They're not doom metal anymore, but back in the day they released some pretty essential doom.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 05:54:28 PM »

Alright, lads.  I've finally dredged through most of the picks you have all listed and this is what I have to say.

Candlemass -- Excellent.  Messiah Marcolin's got a great voice.  Dezo, I listened to 13th Sun and I dig the Proggy keyboards, but I think Nightfall is a bit better.  Just cause of Messiah Marcolin.  :P

Cathedral -- Also pretty good.  Already tracked down The carnival Bizarre.  Hopkins (The Witchfinder General) is one bloody good track.  ...Even though Lee Dorrian's vocals are not so great at times.  :P

Reverend Bizarre -- Epic and crunchy and dire.  Definitely what I'm looking for.  Good work, Deggypooh.

Paradise Lost and Anathema -- Need to spend a bit more time with them before I make a judgement.  Their newer stuff (especially Anathema) is really...  Alternative.  I swear, I think Anathema's really Pearl Jam.

Fadedsun -- I did not like any of the bands you suggested.  :P  They're all a little too...  I dunno, indie?  Screamo?  I dunno, just not Metal enough I guess...

Carpathian Celt -- Yeah, I should have been a little more direct.  I'm really looking more for...  Death Doom or "classic" Doom like Pentagram, Witchfinder General, etc.  Funeral Doom is way too musically sparse and uninteresting and Drone Doom is...  Yeesh, even worse.  :P

Smoke comes out of your phone and a robe appears on you.

I've already got several of Katatonia's albums, so you are good at mind reading.  I will certainly check out the other bands you mentioned when I get some time off from office work.

Thanks, all!

Carpathian_Celt

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:34:52 PM »

Yea, the bands Fadesun recommended aren't really "Doom," but rather Sludge / post-Metal / hardcore fluff.

Although, older Pelican has quite a bit of Doom elements; instrumental band from America. One of the few "post-Metal" bands I can get into.

And Losfer,

I concur, Drone is... LOL WUT. Seriously.

Funeral Doom is /alright/, I guess. I have to be pretty drunk to semi-enjoy it, though. Or stoned. :P

"We all need somebody to hate!" - Carcass.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »

Glad you liked Candlemass, dude.  And I do think Messiah Marcolin gets his power from his hair.  Hair looks like Hagrid's from the Harry Potter movies. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »

Fadedsun -- I did not like any of the bands you suggested.  :P  They're all a little too...  I dunno, indie?  Screamo?  I dunno, just not Metal enough I guess...

That's cool. No hurt feelings. :P

I'm not big on genres, so I don't really know what fits into what category besides basics like rock, metal,hardcore etc.

"Oh, a hunter..."
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »

Oh snap, I forgot to actually add recommendations besides Cathedral. :P

Orange Goblin:  They've got that '70s hard rock style Cathedral has on most of their shit.  They actually sound a little like Corrosion of Conformity to my ears, but I think I'm the only person who would make that comparison. :P

Swallow the Sun:  If you like Katatonia, you'll like these guys.  Especially early Katatonia, when Renke did a bit of growling.

Novembers Doom:  I think somebody recommended them already, so I'll second it. :P

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 04:58:09 PM »

Yeah, I can't see Losfer being into the post-metal/sludge kind of stuff. I'm quite into Jesu, and enjoy a bit of select drone here and there. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for sparse.

Glad you liked Reverend Bizarre!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »

Is Earth considered doom at all? Cuz Earth is awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: