Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335292 Posts in 13728 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)  (Read 87552 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #450 on: March 30, 2009, 10:39:40 PM »

Aside from SO4, SO has never really been sci-fi, so why do people still complain about it?

So the name sucks...Dragon Quest isn't really about dragons anymore is it?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 30, 2009, 10:56:51 PM »

Aside from SO4, SO has never really been sci-fi, so why do people still complain about it?

So the name sucks...Dragon Quest isn't really about dragons anymore is it?

Well, Dragon Quest arguably earns its name in most entries, either by being directly connected to the original game that earned it or making dragons somehow significant to the story line. I think VII is the only odd one out there.

For Star Ocean though, it isn't really about justifying the name. You could feasibly make a game called Star Ocean by VERY fantasy oriented, science fiction doesn't have a monopoly on the word star here. Rather, this is about fulfilling the premise that early looks at the game would indicate, and possibly more importantly the fact there just aren't THAT many that are properly science fiction. While they wanted to make a science fiction RPG, they didn't want to alienate the established fan base either so they stuck heavily with what they were familiar with. Admittedly it kinda sounds like for SO4 that may not really matter much anyway, and there's more interesting things to do with science fiction than just space ships and lasers anyways.

Edit: Actually, that leads to something else. I said GENERIC fantasy for a reason, and that's because the Star Ocean series didn't at all try to be interesting in how it handled the medieval worlds here. They basically all came off as Earth, where you MIGHT get slightly funny looking people. It would have been interesting to go through truly alien worlds and have had some kind of warped version of fantasy, even if they kept the native inhabitants human-like enough for the sake of earthlings blending in. A setting like the Dark World in Link to the Past would be a good example of what they could do.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:13:49 PM by Eusis » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #452 on: March 31, 2009, 02:03:03 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:53:29 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #453 on: March 31, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »

What about Might and Magic, fantasy and swords the whole way, until the end where blasters and aliens get introduced.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #454 on: March 31, 2009, 11:55:23 AM »

Fantasy very often has sci-fi undertones; the idea of lost technology and ancient and forgotten, but technologically advanced civilizations is extremely prevalent.  It's actually kind of curious, since technological regression doesn't have much precedence in real history (the collapse of the Roman Empire being the only notable example that comes to mind), yet fantasy is rife with it (as opposed to a more intuitive middle age fantasy world that's technologically progressed from a less advanced state).  I suppose it's just another one of those compelling themes that tends to draw people in.

The Star Ocean series simply tweaks the formula by giving you characters "in the know" from the start, rather than letting them uncover some lost civilization later in the story.  Personally I've always found that the underdeveloped civlization preservation act in the Star Ocean series provides an interesting framework to integrate sci-fi and fantasy--sadly in SO4 it was yet another botched story element that seemed tacked on for dramatic effect.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:57:30 AM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #455 on: April 01, 2009, 02:28:39 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:53:20 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #456 on: April 01, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »

Ultima 1 was the same way, you get your spaceship to travel across space (and maybe time?) to destroy a Wizard.

Wizardy had sci-fi elements as well.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #457 on: April 04, 2009, 02:33:12 PM »

Finished the main story.  Got all endings.  Spoilers ahead.

Code:
Okay, Faize as the end boss, saw it a million miles away.  I enjoyed his ending where he shows up and confronts Lymle.  It was one of the few /truly/ emotive scenes in the game for me.

The ending was okay, but...  I hated how it just culminated in WHOOPS HERE'S THE PRIME DIRECTIVE.  ...WHICH IS PROMPTLY IGNORED IN EVERY GAME FOLLOWING THIS ONE.  And...  Where are the parts of the story that are supposed to tie up with the third game?  Cause I didn't find any of those.  And wtf, how did Crowe end up on Roak at the end of his ending?  I mean, Faize was God for a bit, I could understand that, but Crowe was just a dude, his ship exploded in space, and he somehow ended up on a planet light years away...  Wtf.  And why was the fact HE'S RODDICK'S FATHER tacked on during the last two seconds of the game.

I call BS.  Good game, but 90% of the story sucked.

I'm 160 hours in and I have all the post game shit to do, but I'm taking a break first.  :P

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #458 on: April 04, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »

Los,

Code:
Did you see it miles away because of his red eyes?  At first, I thought it meant something menacing but if you read the encyclopedia entry on him,
it mentions something about Eldarians and their red eyes when their emotions are heightened.  I didn't see it coming because I read that and well, it just
makes no fucking sense for them to do that.  Oh well.

Thankfully on people's recommendations in the thread I made awhile ago, I bought DQ8.  Hopefully it turns out to be worth it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #459 on: April 09, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »

http://cmpmedia.vo.llnwd.net/o1/vault/gdc09/slides/Gotanda_StarOcean4_Talk.ppt
for those interested in the development side.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: