Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 10:08:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331704 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)  (Read 86787 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:46 PM »

Quote from: IGN
There is little that is visually stunning

Uh, right.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »

While I generally can understand the cautionary tone of the IGN review, due to my experience with the last two Star Ocean games... the reviewer does betray some of his personal prejudices. "Outdated save point system" is just a low, opinionated attack. The reality is is that "save anywhere" has been around just as long as the "save point" has been. And the dividing lines really have never changed: wRPGs tend to use "save anywhere" and jRPGs tend to use "save points". I don't see much change in that formula except for in handheld titles, which (thankfully) have begun adopting save anywhere, or temporary save features to allow for the inherent "pick up, put down" nature of handheld systems. It's just like calling overworld maps outdated, or turnbased battle systems outdated. These are not relics of the past, but simply stylistic decisions.

Now, I do think that long involved dungeons should have more save points, or possibly consider using save anywhere, or temporary save features. I, myself, don't like it when I'm FORCED to play more than 30minutes in order to make any progress. Sometimes I've gotta go to sleep... sometimes I have to go pick up my girlfriend, sometimes (in the case of handhelds) my boss walks into the room.

But the point is ithat it's fairly obvious that the reviewer has become fairly bias towards certain types of gameplay elements, and that simply undermines his legitimacy as a gaming journalist.

However, for as much as I absolutely detested Star Ocean 3, I'm not goint to pick up Star Ocean 4 until someone really proves to me that they've turned things around for the better. Unfortunately, my biggest problem with SO3 was in it's overbearing and mellodramatic storytelling, and this review seems to have issue with SO4, so chances are pretty slim that I'll really like this title.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: February 20, 2009, 04:01:22 AM »

I'm about six hours into this game and so far the story seems much better than SO3. I sense a few tangents / fetch quests may be on the horizon, but the basic structure with all the different planets is quite good. Seems like the best game in the series so far.

Unfortunately, my biggest problem with SO3 was in it's overbearing and mellodramatic storytelling

I know a lot of people hated SO3's story, but honestly, I've never worried too much about amazing plots in JRPG's. Most of the ones that people consider good are still ridiculously cliched and silly. SO3 was annoying though the twist at the end has kind of grown on me. It's a mediocre plot, to be sure, but it's still an epic title, and as a game, it's one of the most fun and best designed RPG's in recent memory.

These are games, not DVD's. I have a pretty high tolerance for cheesy stories if the game itself is really good and there are other redeeming factors. That is definitely the case with SO3 and SO4. Still, if you play largely for the story, I can understand being disappointed with any Star Ocean game.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: February 20, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »

I'm about six hours into this game and so far the story seems much better than SO3. I sense a few tangents / fetch quests may be on the horizon, but the basic structure with all the different planets is quite good. Seems like the best game in the series so far.

Yay!  That's all I needed to hear.  I never really played the Star Ocean games for the story, it was more about fun gameplay for me, so I'm not too concerned about the story as long as it is tolerable for the most part :-)  But I'm glad to hear that so far it's shaping up to be a decent installment and if it really is the best game in the series...ROCK ON.  I know I can't wait until I get my copy next week. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2009, 11:17:46 AM »

Your party is fixed it seems.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:55:24 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »

http://n4g.com/gaming/News-281531.aspx

First day sales in Japan were massive. It almost doubled TLR, which had the previous best day 1 sales.

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2009, 05:20:45 AM »

Alright party is fixed, 2nd run onwards you can choose to 'replace' the character back over the one that was supposed to take over but the story events will not show this character.

Battle trophies are also now character specific. its gonna be so fun collecting them all, currently at 20% for most of the initial 4. ^^
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »

I don't understand this pressing nature to distinguish JRPGs from anything else. It's nitpicky, annoying and exhausting. I just hope that with the grammatical errors, and swagger-y word choice, people dont view it as an end. Regardless, his review feels much more like a preview with obviously stated bias and it's frustrating. This is why I go to IGN for absolutely nothing. Ran into too many reviews reflective of that author's nature.

Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2009, 08:50:32 PM »

Alright party is fixed, 2nd run onwards you can choose to 'replace' the character back over the one that was supposed to take over but the story events will not show this character.

I'm almost done with disk 2. Who can you replace on a second run? And with who?  Don't worry about spoilers.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »

You'll know when the character leaves, its pretty obvious. You can only replace the 2nd run through.

I'm still in disc 1. Overlevelled. Edge has 14k hp now at L33... LOL. (HP Up Max adds 10K) and auto HP regen at 400+. -.-;;
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »

Apparently my copy I ordered through Amazon has just shipped. The delivery estimate says it should be here tomorrow, so I'm guessing it should be available tomorrow, in the U.S. at least.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »

I'm going to try real hard not to buy this now, especially since I'm working on the phantasy stars and the last remnant at the same time!

I do love SO games though.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: February 24, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »

fuck the camera.
fuck the fact that, so far unless i'm missing something, they don't show the armor/weapon on the equip menu.  A little cosmetic change, I know.  But I thought it was a cool feature.  Apparently it's there, but you have to do it in the item menu instead.
voice acting is alright, but anyone else feel like the voices don't match the characters?

the menu change from the japanese version really isn't too bad so far.  dare i say, i even like it?
the cgi portraits aren't optimal to me, but i wouldn't call them hideous either.  If they're trying to bring in a newer audience by changing that, maybe they should have opted out of having catgirl(s) in the game.  The game still feels anime-ish/japanese-ish regardless so... Too early to make any real impression on the game.  I'm not sure whether I'll end up liking it or not liking it.

despite my negativity so far, i still think it has potential to be a pretty good game.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:32:59 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: February 24, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »

Argh, Amazon.ca...  Fuck you, guys.  Fuck you.  They seem to think the game is released /March the fucking 3rd/.  My copy will arrive MARCH THE TWELFTH.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

At least there should be a few good achievement guides up by then.  :P

BUT STILL ARGH.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: