Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 11:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327924 Posts in 13426 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)  (Read 85410 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: February 28, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »

Lymle's voice actor is indeed terrible, but the others aren't so bad that I have heard. Tolerable at least.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:55:10 PM by Blace » Logged

DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 28, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »

'kay?
'kay?
'kay?

Why don't video game developers think very often?
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: February 28, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »

'kay?
'kay?
'kay?

Why don't video game developers think very often?

Upon leveling up..

"That feels good, kay?"

CREEPIEST.LINE.EVER

Please tell me there's more than one healer in this game because I don't want to use her creepy ass the whole way through.

@Parn, I completely agree.  The humor is horrible in this game.  I'd be embarrassed to show my friends many of the scenes.

I think it's a game that could warrant multiple playthroughs.  Dashing + ability to skip every scene could make for a very fast finish (or fast to get to a certain point you're trying to get to).

Despite all its flaws, I'm still really enjoying the game.  The gameplay feels well thought out in general (for instance, not slamming you with useless abilities when you only have two triggers anyway).  It's just everywhere else it's kinda falling short.  Still a good purchase to me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: February 28, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »

@Parn, I completely agree.  The humor is horrible in this game.  I'd be embarrassed to show my friends many of the scenes.

You know what was embarrassing? Having my friend in the room while playing Grandia III and having this line come up: "Yes, only the power of... love can help you."

God damn these awkward and terrible games with fun as hell battle systems.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 28, 2009, 08:45:46 PM »

It's one of the biggest reasons I think having more power for better presentation is not only unnecessary, but possible the single worst thing that can happen to JRPGs. It's one thing to have stupid crap like this, it's another to see it acted out and to hear the lines read.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: March 01, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »

Lymle's voice has grown on me, so I don't find it as offsetting as when I first got her. The VA work isn't masterful, but I think it gets the job done. Off course, I'm in the middle of a love-fest with the game, so my opinions are biased. :P Although they just THROW xp at you in this. And I haven't seen a game over once, so I'm figuring this'll be one of those games you'll need to play on the harder difficulties to have a real challenge.

Crossing my fingers for crazy difficult/annoying bonus dungeon though.
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: March 01, 2009, 01:49:01 AM »

This is definitely better than Star Ocean 3 by a wide margin.

I like most of the characters.. Lymle is a little off-putting, but she's growing on me.

My favorite at this point has to be Welch, though.

I'm about 16 hrs in and I'm on the 4th planet. Story isn't believable at all, but really it is just a bonus to have one that sucks less than the usual tri-ace fare.

If Tales of Vesperia had had this combat system, it might have been my favorite rpg of all time.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: March 01, 2009, 02:06:14 AM »

Most JRPGs play out like shounen anime. That kind of storytelling was fine with me a few years ago, but now, it's like meh. The battle system is a blast, and I've never bought a tri-Ace game for the plot in the first place. Hell, my favorite tri-Ace game has an awful plot (Radiata Stories), but a lot of things were good about that game.

Oh, is it me, or does the camera love zooming in on Reimi's tits and ass?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: March 01, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »

My impressions so far.

I'm almost done with the 2nd planet.

One of my biggest complaints was with the draw distance being limited, resulting in easy to miss chests etc, but this was quickly fixed by a skill you soon get.

Lymle is annoying, and I agree her level up line is very creepy, I feel like a pedophile everytime she levels up..., and when she started in with Edgie and Reirei I was having a "Dinner dinner dinner" flashback nightmare from IU.

Combat is fast and fun, blindsides are a nice twist on the typical action RPG formula. I also like the battle board.

Battle trophies are fun so far. Unlike SO3, where I believe you were never shown the list of trophies, it appears every 10% you unlock, you see the next 10 trophie requirements, so there is always something to shoot for. There are very dumb ones, like level an enemy with 2 hp, or do exactly 111 damage.
Another beneit of this system is that it gives you a reason to use all characters, since you can only unlock a battle trophie for a character if you are in control of them.

Voice acting etc are typical tri-ace, good in parts, bad in others, weird lines, but tri-ace has always been that way.

Item creation seems simple enough, not as random as SO2 or SO3.

The game definately feels like a hybrid of SO3's gameplay with SO2 mechanics, with the skill system and all that.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: March 01, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »

...Story isn't believable at all, but really it is just a bonus to have one that sucks less than the usual tri-ace fare.

I don't get this complaint.  When was a jrpg or even games in general believable?  I'm sure there are a few games here and there (not counting simulation titles) but for the most part, games aren't believable at all.

One of my biggest complaints was with the draw distance being limited, resulting in easy to miss chests etc, but this was quickly fixed by a skill you soon get.

I've noticed this too occasionally.  My guess it was to keep things smooth, which they did a good job with

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: March 01, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »

I don't get this complaint.  When was a jrpg or even games in general believable?  I'm sure there are a few games here and there (not counting simulation titles) but for the most part, games aren't believable at all.
The game's creators chose to use our own universe as the centerpiece for the game's storytelling.  I'm not asking for realism here, but tri-Ace takes the silliness to extremes that don't even make sense within the confines of a fantasy world that they established.  When goofy things happen in Tales games, I laugh and move on, because Namco doesn't stuff them full of acronyms and "science" in some BS attempt at game depth.  I accepted swords in space with Phantasy Star because it never took itself too seriously.  Star Ocean 4 on the other hand, thrusts you to post WWIII where you get to deal with stupid anime girls while making items.  If I'm supposed to feel some sense of urgency with regard to the situation on earth in this game's universe, the writers failed miserably.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »

I went to a friend's house and watched him play for a few hours. I don't know why, but I never wanted to give it a try for some reason.

Can anyone comment on the music? From what I heard, most of it was about as lifeless and bland as the towns were.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2009, 05:34:19 PM »

This game is a bit too difficult for me. Those surprise attacks tend to wipe out your party, making you use up the few healing berries you find. Hell, I even made sure I wandered down every branching path I found so I could find more items and battle more and gain experience, and they still kicked my ass. The first boss I got to... I beat him, but just barely. I had one party member left with less than 30 HP. After that, there was no place to save the game and two of my party were still uncouscious from the boss fight and I got a game over screen after the first surprise attack. I think I remember now why I didn't play too much of the Star Ocean I have for PS1.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »

I haven't come close to dying even once...you sure you're playing correctly?

Even when I get surprised, which is very hard to do, the enemies still don't pose much of a threat.

Make sure you get enough experience boosters on your bonus board so you level up faster.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »

I've played this game for 16 hours now. Combat is still really awesome. Enemies are actually getting a little stronger and making the game slightly more challenging, but I've yet to die. Story is picking up too. I'm currently on Roak.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: