Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:17:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334551 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: The Last Hope news.(56k Warning)  (Read 87313 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2009, 10:46:54 PM »

Yeah, I don't even know where to begin on that review. The priorities are so out of wack and a number of points are flat out wrong. Cutscenes can be paused or skipped. The big environments are a good thing and easy to navigate with dash and the bunny. There are TONS of sidequests and extra content and not all of it is from within towns. It seems like the reviewer barely finished the game and got the rest of his opinion from angry gamefaqs posters.

The only legitimate criticism is the English VA, and it's such a minor part of a game that it drives me crazy to see reviewers obsess over it. You have a great team of developers at Tri-Ace put in five years on one of the most addictively fun and engrossing combat, skill, and item creation systems ever made, then because of some shoddy production company's voice work, the final product is a '7' or a '5'. The Japanese is much much better, but I've beaten the game in English too, and it's really not that awful. Are you playing a game or watching a DVD? Priorities man.

I just can't relate to people who let sub-par VA ruin a game for them. Since when does every game need MGS4 level production value? Do people remember the dark ages when RPG's were good and had no voice work at all? For fuck's sake, it's a GAME, and if it's fun to play, that's 80% of it for me. Story, writing, graphics, and VA come after (in that order).

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:40 AM »

Uh id like to know what kind of magic game he has where cut scenes run so long his controller turns off.  Ive not had that happen once.  In fact I think the longest cut scene Ive seen so far has been maybe 30 minutes max.  Again VA I get, sure, but its not all that bad to be honest.  Could be alot worse, and at least for the most part the voices fit the characters, whatever that shows about the characters.

Ahh well, to each their own.  I still love the game, even though after doing like 20+ arena battles the game froze on me so I lost all that...my fault for not saving, but still...:(

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »

I'm really sick of everyone talking about how bad US VA's are and how good Japanese ones always are.

While I don't speak Japanese, Japanese VA's always sound over the top and ridiculous, just like US ones.
Maybe it's "hip" to want the VA voices? I think it's already been said that Lym's VA in Japan has the same manor of speach.

Does Lym in Japanese still say the equivalent of 'kay after every line? It's probably my biggest complaint of the game.

Now a question about the battle trophies.

It seems like that after every 10% you unlock, you get to see what needs to be achieved for the next ten trohpies, except for Edge.
There are still some that I can't see, like 13, and maybe 19, I assume this is normal...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:32:33 PM by daschrier » Logged
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: March 09, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »

I might be in the minority here, but I don't really like voice acting in most games.  I prefer the days of old when it was left up to my imagination.  Mostly because my imagination has much better sounding voices for characters then the ones developers pick for these games. Not to mention that I get tired of hearing the same guy voice 10 different characters a year, it just gets old.  It's like ever since FFX came out ALL JRPG's must have voice acting in them to be considered on the same scale.  I'm just happy SO4's VA isn't slow paced, there's only a few characters who talk slowly.  I loved to play Tales of Vesperia but sometimes there was just way too much fucking talking.  I want to PLAY the game not WATCH it. :P

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2009, 02:06:08 PM »

Mostly because my imagination has much better sounding voices for characters then the ones developers pick for these games. Not to mention that I get tired of hearing the same guy voice 10 different characters a year, it just gets old. 

Quoted for truth.  Couldn't agree with you more.  I actually hate when I picture a character with a certain voice and then the VA is completely opposite of that...kinda ruins the way I envisioned the character in my head. 

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »

I like VA's, only if for the fact that during cutscenes I can put down the controller and watch.

Hitting a button every second to skip through the dialogue gets old.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

More like RPGaymer.

Or RPeeGamer.

What I'm trying to say is RPGamer sucks.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:54:16 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »

One distinctive difference between English and Japanese VA is that the Japanese Voice Acting often feels more natural in terms of the characters interacting with one another. I know a big part of this is because English voices are recorded line by line and the voice actors are usually not even in the same state with one another let alone the same recording studio.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

More like RPGaymer.

Or RPeeGamer.

What I'm trying to say is RPGamer sucks.

You forgot RPLamer!

At least they're quick on digging up new information on upcoming games (especially the obscure ones).

Which is why I frequent both sites. RPGamer tends to have more up to date information on upcoming games with screen shots and news, while RPGfan has the better reviews.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2009, 08:55:34 AM »

I'm really sick of everyone talking about how bad US VA's are and how good Japanese ones always are.

While I don't speak Japanese, Japanese VA's always sound over the top and ridiculous, just like US ones.
Maybe it's "hip" to want the VA voices? I think it's already been said that Lym's VA in Japan has the same manor of speach.

Does Lym in Japanese still say the equivalent of 'kay after every line? It's probably my biggest complaint of the game.

There are a lot of people who automatically hate English VA and want every RPG to have dual audio. You see threads like this on gamefaqs all the time and they turn into serious business really fast once the term 'weaboo' starts getting thrown around.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the subbed version. A lot of us prefer watching foreign movies subtitles. Games are similar. Many of us didn't notice the 'foreign-ness' of Japanese games before voice acting became common, but indeed they are foreign, and as such, there is nothing poser-ish about wanting to hear the original performance with subtitles.

Now that I have lived in Japan for while and can speak the language, I can make an informed judgment about the quality of voice acting in both languages. My conclusion is that the Japanese is waaaaaay better 95% of the time, but that shouldn't surprise anyone; it's the original language of the story. Who honestly thinks that Star Wars is better in Russian?

The minor connotations of word choice, the way Han Solo emphasizes the word 'bad' when he says "I got a bad feeling about this..." the subtle affectations of rhythm, cadence, and tone - all of that is lost for conventional colloquial equivalents that fit particular dialogue speeds and lip movements. Any time I watch 'House' or 'The Simpsons' on Japanese cable and read the subtitles, I feel bad for Japanese people who are missing out on all the clever little bits of irony and cultural references.

And culture is a big part of why even good English VA often fails. Star Ocean games are very culturally Japanese. Along with learning the language, you gradually absorb the culture when you live in another country, and even that country's sense of humor infects your mind. For example, in Star Ocean 4, the character Sarah's voice and manner of speech sounds like a combination of two famous Japanese comedians, so any time she opens her mouth, it cracks me up. In English, all they did is give her a really high pitch voice. Lym says "na no yo" at the end of her sentences in Japanese, but it doesn't really mean "kay." They are general emphasis particles, and they come off more as childish and cute. Certainly not annoying (unless you just hate kids).

tl;dr - Original language is better

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: March 10, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

I "hit" disc 2 last night...30 hours in.
About to go to
Code:
The purgatorium

I spend so much time building up my bonus board and farming items and haven't done much at all to progress the story so far.

Very fun game though.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »

I just wish every localization/VA was as good as P4. I just replayed the culture festival part yesterday and it's simply perfect. Every line is delivered perfectly. You can really tell how much effort was put into the translation of every single word. Though it was the second time playing it, I still laughed my ass off. It's not only the jokes themselves, it's the way they say it, especially kanji.
With the exception of Chie's VA performance in the first hours of the game, everything concerning the localization process is absolutely perfect. Every single word. If a relatively small company like atlus can pull this off, why should we settle for anything less in a SE game?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »

"cuz it aint final fantasy"

Seriously, FFXII and FFX had great localizations...seems like any non-FF title gets a C-grade localization. SO games still manage to sell pretty well for a non FF title, so I'm puzzled to as why the VAs suck. It's the main reason I'm playing SO4 slowly, because the voices irritate me.

That and a lackluster story and characters.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »

"cuz it aint final fantasy"

Yeah, but the budget is still bigger for SO4 alone than all atlus titles released in 2008 combined. Like you pointed out in the rest of your post, that's no excuse.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: