Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329792 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PS3 to sell for $499, have motion sensing controller
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: PS3 to sell for $499, have motion sensing controller  (Read 8249 times)
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »

Sony just announced the launch prices for Playstation 3:
A 20gb configuration will sell for /$499
A 60gb configuration will sell for /$599

They also revealed that the console's controller will look like the standard DualShock, but in a nod to (or theft from) Nintendo the controller will incorporate motion sensing technology.

Pretty much the prices we had expected. Other than there really weren't any very interesting announcements during the press conference. I kind of regret staying up late, now.

More information can be found here.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 09:50:45 PM »

I don't get it. Why the fuck is there a $100 difference between the models? I can get a 250 gig hard drive for $100.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:55:43 PM »

Probably a smaller HD or something.

Personally, while I'm glad (albit unsurprised) at the stolen motion sensor, I really wish they offered that as a different model: I thought the new controller looked nice and was a change of pace, but nope. Back to the same fucking controller used for nearly 10 years now; over if you count the original digital-only pad.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:56:06 PM »

Because Sony correctly assumes that they can make more money that way. The PS3 won't accept regular HDDs, so Sony can charge as much as they want - the customers really don't have any alternatives.

Also, we don't know yet if the $599 package will include any additional stuff. But at that price it'd better.

Edit: Regarding the controller - fuck, I'm glad they stuck to the DualShock design. Yeah, the Batarang looked funky, but not very comfortable. The DualShock is a well-designed controller, so I can't really see any good reason for a major redesign.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 10:11:15 PM »

Something is wrong with gaming when my IPOD costs LESS than a PS3.

I'm just saying, yanno.

^3R^
Banninated

3r.kamikaze@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 10:27:07 PM »

I think its a reasonable price. Think of the Blu ray players that will be sold in a nearly future, they'll probably cost around 1000

Edit: About the 'stolen' controller... well I think this is how business works, everything copies everything in order to achieve succes, plus, Wii focuses more on the gameplay than the graphics so sony just thinked 'hey, we are in time so let's come up with a similar thing as our competitor's main characteristic so when ppl look at both of them they could say "this is also on the PS3 and has better graphics"' Businees I guess.

However, games always have the last word.

MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:18:17 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Probably a smaller HD or something.

Personally, while I'm glad (albit unsurprised) at the stolen motion sensor, I really wish they offered that as a different model: I thought the new controller looked nice and was a change of pace, but nope. Back to the same fucking controller used for nearly 10 years now; over if you count the original digital-only pad.

I have only one response to that.  If a design isn't broken, don't fix it.  The Playstation controller is designed very well.  I see no reason to modify its design when it already functions quite well.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:23:02 PM »

Quote from: "MonCapitan2002"
I have only one response to that.  If a design isn't broken, don't fix it.  The Playstation controller is designed very well.  I see no reason to modify its design when it already functions quite well.

The batarang design reminded me of a 3rd party licensed controller that I got with the PSX, and preferred over the original. And you can always tweak the design some to make it more comfortable or at least /look/ significantly different - the X360 controller is just as good, if not better than the Controller S for the XBox, so even remodeling would've been nice. But we don't even get that much because Sony got lynched for trying it. Plus, they could've easily sold a 'traditional' controller. :P

Plus, while the Dual Shock design is a great one, I've found the feel of other controllers to be potentially preferable.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 01:56:45 AM »

The only surprise in the news to me was the motion sensing controller.  Whether it's a gimmick or actually useful is all I wonder. :P  I still don't plan to get a PS3 any time soon, even with the fairly nifty Final Fantasy XIII screenshots out there, since frankly at this point hardware isn't that big of a deal in the console race at this point (though I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the inclusion of a next generation media in the PS3).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 02:07:46 AM »

One thing to keep in mind, though: Sony's approach to new system launches is to continue supporting the previous system well into the new system's lifespan. They supported the original PlayStation for years after the launch of the PlayStation 2, and they say they'll do the same this generation, which creates quite a number of people who are willing to switch over because the systems are continually supported.

Compare this to Microsoft and Nintendo: support for the Xbox, GameCube, and even the Game Boy Advance have all but died out. Seriously. The Xbox has nothing worth noting, and the only major releases for the Nintendo consoles are Zelda: Twilight Princess and Mother 3. They're basically saying "Upgrade to a 360/Wii/DS now or be left in the dust." I don't know about you, but that makes me a bit disgruntled. At least with Sony I know they're going to be supporting the old hardware and not just throwing it away after a shiny new system comes along.

MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 02:07:48 AM »

The $499.99 version is also going to have components removed as well.  It will be missing HDMI output as well as imputs for various memory card mediums.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 03:03:47 AM »

The $499.99 version is also going to have components removed as well.  It will be missing HDMI output as well as imputs for various memory card mediums.

Yeah, I found out about that later and it's one of the only things that has genuinely pissed me off about this. If I'm going to spend /500/ bucks on the new powerful system, I'd rather only have to worry about components I can get later, let alone ones I /thought/ to be as basic as memory stick readers or the HDMI. They could easily leave a port open to stick the card readers in or create a USB device for reading them, and leave an open slot in there to stick the wi-fi in, but the HDMI being ignored is utter idiocy, unless the normal port is able of handling 1080p HD output too.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 03:47:04 AM »

Motion sensing controller?! WHERE THE SHIT DID THAT COME FROM?!

Mario is bloodied and beaten in an alley somewhere.

Edit: Just realised I'm logged in as John. Good going me. This is Mark/Hidoshi. Sorry John!

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 05:11:46 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

Yeah, I found out about that later and it's one of the only things that has genuinely pissed me off about this. If I'm going to spend /500/ bucks on the new powerful system, I'd rather only have to worry about components I can get later, let alone ones I /thought/ to be as basic as memory stick readers or the HDMI. They could easily leave a port open to stick the card readers in or create a USB device for reading them, and leave an open slot in there to stick the wi-fi in, but the HDMI being ignored is utter idiocy, unless the normal port is able of handling 1080p HD output too.

The two different units may have differently designed motherboards.  That could be why the ports were removed.  I do agree with your contention about the HDMI output.  That should be standard on both versions of the console.

Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 04:13:01 PM »

I better start saving.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: