Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 08:57:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341092 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PS3 to sell for $499, have motion sensing controller
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: PS3 to sell for $499, have motion sensing controller  (Read 8537 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 04:17:23 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Motion sensing controller?! WHERE THE SHIT DID THAT COME FROM?!

Mario is bloodied and beaten in an alley somewhere.

Something is wrong with gaming when my IPOD costs LESS than a PS3.

I'm just saying, yanno.

Hahaha, great comments. xD

Anyways.  This is probably a dumb question, but what affect would the different 20gb and 60gb have? (Im not really the most techy person around, sorry).

Seeing as how all these good games tend to flock to the Sony Playstation, I'll probably pick it up eventually...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 05:16:36 PM »

Um....more storage?

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 05:25:41 PM »

The 20 gig one will not only have a smaller Harddrive, but it'll lack the wi-fi, the memory stick readers, and the HDMI output. I've complained earlier in this thread about that.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 07:36:41 PM »

Even more ignorant question: I'm not entirely sure what wi-fi is! Is it wireless internet support, like the DS? Would that mean that the cheaper model couldn't go online?

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 07:39:11 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
Even more ignorant question: I'm not entirely sure what wi-fi is! Is it wireless internet support, like the DS? Would that mean that the cheaper model couldn't go online?

Basically, yes. Or at least (and I am totally not sure on this) it'd be a hard-wired connection.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 08:09:19 PM »

Quote from: "Lucca"
Quote from: "Degolas"

Basically, yes. Or at least (and I am totally not sure on this) it'd be a hard-wired connection.

I've seen the back of the system: It's got an ethernet port. So you'd basically have to buy an adapter later or something to go online wirelessly... Not that Sony's announced any such solutions, but there's still the good ol' fashion wireless stations.
invinciblegod

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 09:24:08 PM »

The lower end PS3 will eventually become obsolete for bluray movie playing. Even though component video can transmit 1080P, there is still another problem. The reason is that HDCP copy protection of HI DEF disks is only supported in hdmi. HDCP has a "feature" that certain movies that the studios choose will have something call the image constraint token or ICT. What this does is detect that if the video signal is coming from anything but an hdmi cable, it will downgrade the image automatically from 1080p to 540p, or 1/4 hi def and just above conventional 480p dvds. This makes PS3 Basic as a bad choice for future hi def movies (unless you use an SDTV which sort of defeats the point entirely of a Bluray player). While no HD-DVD movies currently use the ICT either, this doent stop both of them from implementing it. This makes the absence of hdmi retarded unless all studios agree the that this feature doesn't help them (practically impossible).
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 09:30:21 PM »

I'm pretty happy they kept the same controller design. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I could care less about the motion sensor crap. When I first heard about it at school today, I was actually pretty annoyed. I mean, I don't need two Revolutions (or Wiis, or whatever...).

I'm also happy with the price range. Let's just hope that the prices of games don't get jacked up, unlike the 360's (I can hope, can't I?)..

Edit: LOL FUCKED UP SENTENCE IS FIXED
invinciblegod

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 09:41:59 PM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
I'm also happy with the price range. Let's just hope that the prices of games get jacked up, not unlike the 360's (I can hope, can't I?)..

You want to pay more for ps3 games? OMFG LOLOL ROLFMAO!!!! Sorry, That required that. You want something to be more expensive willingly for no reason. I have no idea how you think.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 09:56:39 PM »

Quote from: "Dade the Ass McLaren"
Um....more storage?

But thats what I mean...what do ya need storage for?  If it was a memory card, okay... but a system?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »

There's always the downloadable distribution of demos, trailers, and content that every is getting acquainted with these days. Then there's the whole media center ideal that Sony and Microsoft have been pushing (ie. put all your music on your console), especially with the PS3 and it's connectivity with the PSP. Then again, I don't think I'll be using my consoles for much but gaming.

I personally think (as many do) that this is Tard Pack Round 2 (albeit in a slightly less serious form). If they are going to release the system in a gimped form, they really ought not to release it at all.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sketch may have been being a touch sarcastic.
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 10:54:32 PM »

Quote from: "invinciblegod"
Quote from: "Sketch"
I'm also happy with the price range. Let's just hope that the prices of games get jacked up, not unlike the 360's (I can hope, can't I?)..

You want to pay more for ps3 games? OMFG LOLOL ROLFMAO!!!! Sorry, That required that. You want something to be more expensive willingly for no reason. I have no idea how you think.

Seriously, I'm pissed that ps2, xbox, and GC games are still $50. I definitely don't wanna pay more than $60 for next-gen games.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 10:57:09 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
There's always the downloadable distribution of demos, trailers, and content that every is getting acquainted with these days. Then there's the whole media center ideal that Sony and Microsoft have been pushing (ie. put all your music on your console), especially with the PS3 and it's connectivity with the PSP. Then again, I don't think I'll be using my consoles for much but gaming.

I personally think (as many do) that this is Tard Pack Round 2 (albeit in a slightly less serious form). If they are going to release the system in a gimped form, they really ought not to release it at all.

I agree, I think that if they're gonna release a half-assed form of a system they might ass well not release it at all and just have us pay the full price for the deluxe version.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 11:04:38 PM »

since I have no Tv and play my games off my monitor, it's gonna suck i have to spend $100 more for that feature, goddamit, guess I'll wait for a price cut, anyway first gen sony systems always suck.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 11:08:44 PM »

As long as it's justifiably $60, I don't mind. However, there's several games that're 60 yet are $50 on current gen systems, one case /$40/ on the PC, with no upgrades outside of something like achievements. Quite frankly, that's a load of bullshit and shouldn't be tolerated. Ofcourse, it looks like those games are the first to hit price drops, so maybe people will knock it off.

Edit: A bit late, but looking at Superflat's response... I fail to see how this is less serious; I think it's more so if anything. Everything you opted out of getting for the X360 premium pack could easily be bought later on and added, outside of chrome plating on the disc plate. This, however, removes several built in features that may not have solutions later purchasable for - ergo the only way to get them may very well be to buy the more expensive model. Combine that with the fact $300 was the standard new console price, while $500 is a fuckload more, and... No. This is /much/ more serious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: