Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334629 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PS3 to sell for $499, have motion sensing controller
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: PS3 to sell for $499, have motion sensing controller  (Read 8379 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 11:12:47 PM »

Quote from: "Malevolent_Angel"
Quote from: "invinciblegod"
Quote from: "Sketch"
I'm also happy with the price range. Let's just hope that the prices of games get jacked up, not unlike the 360's (I can hope, can't I?)..

You want to pay more for ps3 games? OMFG LOLOL ROLFMAO!!!! Sorry, That required that. You want something to be more expensive willingly for no reason. I have no idea how you think.

Seriously, I'm pissed that ps2, xbox, and GC games are still $50. I definitely don't wanna pay more than $60 for next-gen games.

GOOD point!!  Im a bit intimidated by all these increasing standards.  I figured better graphics would probably take longer and all (imagine one day the announce a game 2 years in advance).

But yeah, games are costly enough as it is.  How are XBOX 360's game prices?? =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 11:17:19 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Quote from: "Malevolent_Angel"
I'm also happy with the price range. Let's just hope that the prices of games get jacked up, not unlike the 360's (I can hope, can't I?)..

You want to pay more for ps3 games? OMFG LOLOL ROLFMAO!!!! Sorry, That required that. You want something to be more expensive willingly for no reason. I have no idea how you think.

Seriously, I'm pissed that ps2, xbox, and GC games are still $50. I definitely don't wanna pay more than $60 for next-gen games.

GOOD point!!  Im a bit intimidated by all these increasing standards.  I figured better graphics would probably take longer and all (imagine one day the announce a game 2 years in advance).

But yeah, games are costly enough as it is.  How are XBOX 360's game prices?? =(

360 games are generally around $60.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 12:04:06 AM »

...oh.  In that case...I dunno, I guess they'd cap the prices, no?? =/

Unless of course we go through one of those retro money increases (like how our grandparents got paid like $500 a year and that paid for house and food, but today it can only buy you 5 pairs of jeans, and in the future it can only buy you [for example] like 3 pieces of gum).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 12:04:09 AM »

The PS3 is too expensive. If I ever decide to buy one it will be when it is three hundred dollars cheaper. But right now its chances of me buying it are looking slim as none of the titles announced thus far even remotely interest me.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 12:17:12 AM »

Calm down, it's not what I meant. I think with my head, not with my hands :P

How's this? :

Let's just hope that the prices of games don't get jacked up, unlike the 360's
Iolaus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 12:24:10 AM »

It seems a bit strange for me to say the system is to expensive, but it really is to me. Christ, I took a big enough hit spending $400 for my xbox 360 which I still consider a great purchase (thanks to Oblivion). 100-200 dollars is still a lot of money.  One does wonder what the prices for the PS3 games will be. I couldn't imagine them being more than $60, and with the price of the system, they'd be asking a lot from consumers. Blu-ray or not, that is the amount I make in a month as a part-time worker going to college. I don't picture the system dropping more than $200 in the next year or two, but I could be wrong. I guess people can sell their old systems to help alleviate the cost. By the way, will the system play all Ps2 and Ps1 games (for the most part) or will the PS3 be like the 360 and run an emulator which is only capable of playing 1/50 of all the consoles games?
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 12:57:56 AM »

The lower end PS3 will eventually become obsolete for bluray movie playing. Even though component video can transmit 1080P, there is still another problem. The reason is that HDCP copy protection of HI DEF disks is only supported in hdmi. HDCP has a "feature" that certain movies that the studios choose will have something call the image constraint token or ICT. What this does is detect that if the video signal is coming from anything but an hdmi cable, it will downgrade the image automatically from 1080p to 540p, or 1/4 hi def and just above conventional 480p dvds. This makes PS3 Basic as a bad choice for future hi def movies (unless you use an SDTV which sort of defeats the point entirely of a Bluray player). While no HD-DVD movies currently use the ICT either, this doent stop both of them from implementing it. This makes the absence of hdmi retarded unless all studios agree the that this feature doesn't help them (practically impossible).

Warner Brothers intend to use the ICT in their releases.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 01:23:38 AM »

Well, if you can get HD via the component then that... Helps. But I still find this whole 'Hey, let's use SPECIFIC plugs and force everyone to buy whole new thousand dollar TVs!' just because of fear of piracy... When said new method is probably going to be cracked open /anyway/...

Well, you probably shouldn't be buying a PS3 for movies anyway. And maybe Sony'll do something that bypasses the ICT for the PS3. :P
invinciblegod

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 02:34:20 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Well, you probably shouldn't be buying a PS3 for movies anyway. And maybe Sony'll do something that bypasses the ICT for the PS3. :P

Impossible. No studio is gonna support that. That is the point of having HDCP: to prevent piracy and cover up the analog "hole" (because you can record analog tv freely).
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 12:34:50 AM »

It is a futile effort on the part of studios.  HDCP will be cracked eventually.  No copy protection scheme is uncrackable.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 12:57:25 AM »

This is a classic case of hype blinding people. Everyone should take a deep breath, and take a step back to analyze the situation rationally. Sony knows masses of people will eventually pay their no-remorse prices. They already have a fanatical following, so it's only natural that you milk it, looking at it from a business point of view.

Also, of course, since they bloated up the console with a boatload of features, obviously it will cost a mighty large chunk of change. It's the price you pay for wanting your console to be a psuedo personal computer. Honestly, I could do without an OS and the blu-ray player. I mean even the hard drive..providing they ignore it's usage again, like the PS2's hard drive.

No offense, but this HDTV nonsense is getting overboard in game consoles. I mean c'mon, when it's getting to the point where it's interfering with us folks that have standard TVs, then it's becoming silly.

Unless I'm out of bounds here with all I've said, but I think I'm fairly accurate on some of the details.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2006, 04:31:40 AM »

The HD will be standard on both models (albeit with different storage sizes). As such, it is a safe bet that developers will make use of it.  Unlike the X Box 360, it is an integral component of both versions of the console.  I actually like having an HDD.  With one, I'll never have to worry about deleting game saves (I am the type who never deletes them).

cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »

$600 is a good deal for a blu ray thingy whatever it's called.

It's easily affordable.

I just don't think sony deserves money. What with sony's policy about:

"make games the way we say or don't make them at all".

That and the fact sony's responsible for bringing in an entire new demographic into the gaming market which makes up the majority and said majority now only wants games with the most expensive grafix that offer not much else. And sony can continue to feed them the same "visually impressive" shit time and time again.

The only people who would honestly at this point backup kutaragi are the ones getting paid. Enjoy selling out your soul.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2006, 04:01:52 PM »

It still appears that you will have to some how use Memory Sticks to get your  
older saves onto the PS3.
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 06:38:11 PM »

"On pricing, can you give a general sense for how you might compare to something like the $600 version of the PlayStation 3?

Satoru Iwata: 'First of all, all we've said is that we'll have an affordable price range.

We're using "affordable" in the sense that the price won't be significantly higher than Nintendo's prices have been historically. Compared with $600, anything is affordable, so it's absurd to even compare our price.]"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: