Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 07:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331512 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fable II.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Fable II.  (Read 6383 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »

If the game wasn't so short, I wouldn't mind paying the full $60 for the game. Yeah, I'm interested, but not until a price drop....

Not how I've felt about Fable, but my mindset has been switching from going for the best value to what gives me the most enjoyment. It just isn't worth playing through some damn 50 hour RPG you're not enjoying when you could've bought some of the best 10 hours you'd get out of a video game instead.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:32:44 PM by Eusis » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

I bought it today and I've played for about 2 hours. Now all I'm going to be thinking about at work is Fable 2. I need to play it!

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »

Reports are 10-15 hours just to finish the main quest, for those of you wondering about play time.

30+ hours to do everything. It's easily 3x as long as Fable I for the main quest alone.

[/url]
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05:41 AM »

Roommate got it last night. I tried it today and have attempted to impregnate every woman in the world. Unfortunately I had to put this on hold in order to dungeon crawl.

It seems fun enough so far, though I'm more excited for Eternal Sonata tomorrow.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »

If the game wasn't so short, I wouldn't mind paying the full $60 for the game. Yeah, I'm interested, but not until a price drop....

Not how I've felt about Fable, but my mindset has been switching from going for the best value to what gives me the most enjoyment. It just isn't worth playing through some damn 50 hour RPG you're not enjoying when you could've bought some of the best 10 hours you'd get out of a video game instead.

Yeah, I agree, but I don't have $60 to throw around for a game that's severely short for a RPG.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

Yeah, I agree, but I don't have $60 to throw around for a game that's severely short for a RPG.
People keep saying this, but it's only short if you play straight through the story and do absolutely nothing else.

It feels a lot like a third-person version of Oblivion to me. Lots to do, big open world, lots of player choice. Been playing six hours and I've only done one story mission now. Lots of fun. I really like the battle system. Probably the only flaw I've found is that melee combat is pretty much button mashing, but I haven't been using a sword much. Mainly focusing on leveling up my necromancer ability and ranged weapons, which are both really satisfying.

It's not a jRPG, and from the sounds of it that's what you're looking for. It's very Western. It's full of humor, as well, which is a big plus for me. The last jRPG I played through was Lost Odyssey, and that was a game I thought was entirely too serious (one of the reasons I liked Jansen so much was that he was pretty much the only outlet for an emotion other than angst).

With all that said, I have to concede that the game doesn't feel entirely polished. The core works great, but there are a few AI niggles I've noticed. One time a lady got stuck in a wall, teleported above a doorway, and then appeared outside before proceeding to tell me my clothes sucked. I've seen enemies stand still in the middle of battle and there was more screen tearing in the first two hours than I've seen in all other current-gen games combined.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:03:56 PM by everluck » Logged

[/url]
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »

Got this yesterday as well and spent a good 6 hours on it. I've never played the first, so I can't compare, but I find the game irresistibly charming. There are some slight design flaws, but I wasn't expecting a perfect game anyway. So far it's been worth the $60 dollars, and I am not really worried about becoming bored quickly.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 09:42:18 AM »

But is it short?  In the end, a game with a short main quest, a wealth of optional stuff, and a high level of replay value could easily end up lasting you more time than a game with a long main quest, little optional content, and practically no replay value.

I mean, I wouldn't consider Mass Effect to be a short game and that's sort of the same situation (you could beat the game in 12 hours or so if you skipped the optional stuff, but there's a ton of optional stuff as well as incentive to replay it).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:53:44 AM by Robert Boyd » Logged

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 10:17:37 AM »

Exactly. I played Mass Effect for 30 hours.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 03:01:31 AM »

I got 40 hours out of ME.

That's actually it though. For an action RPG 25+ hours would be enough for a satisfying purchase, and as long as it's not unnecessarily dragged out the better. Since Fable II apparently falls under this that makes it a good value.

Personally, I'll wait on the price drop. I didn't enjoy Fable 1 THAT much and there's other games I'm more interested in. Notably Fallout 3.
Rippou

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »

So I picked it up on the 21st, wrapped the main story in about 8-9 hours. Spent around 18 hours in total with the rest of the time being spent on making money, purchasing items and property, and causing havoc around Bowerstone Market.

It was great, but I found it too easy.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »

So the general opinion is that this game is like the Sims meets RPG-lite.
Rippou

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »

Yes, it really is like that. The RPG elements aren't too complex, basically just upgrading spells and abilities. It is very fun, though. The whole "Sims" thing prolonged the experience for me, and the fact that it was in the fantasy/medieval setting just made it all the better for me.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »

Yes, it really is like that. The RPG elements aren't too complex, basically just upgrading spells and abilities. It is very fun, though. The whole "Sims" thing prolonged the experience for me, and the fact that it was in the fantasy/medieval setting just made it all the better for me.
Fantasy/colonial more than medieval. Steampunk in certain aspects.

[/url]
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

The Knothole Island expansion pack is available today.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: