Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 05:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334669 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Fast, Agressive Music
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Fast, Agressive Music  (Read 4520 times)
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:01:30 AM »

I'm gonna join the "give me music to listen to" trend, if it could indeed be called that. Lately I've been bored of my regular music I've been listening to (a lot of power metal and melo-death stuff) and I'm in the need of some faster agressive metal. Stuff like Superjoint Ritual or maybe Nashville Pussy. Just straight ahead, no bullshit, kick your ass music. I'm not really into punk and I know nothing about it so maybe the following is anathema to mention but I've been listening to Gallows a lot and I like them so something in that vein would be cool too.

Carpathian_Celt

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »

Um, fast & aggressive music? Well, the best recommendation I can give you is Black Metal. =P

But if you're looking for something in the vein of Gallows, then I suggest checking out Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Eyes from AFI. Yes, AFI. They didn't always blow and cater to TRL; SYM&OYR is fast, unadulterated hardcore punk.

"We all need somebody to hate!" - Carcass.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:58:23 AM »

You've probably already heard this, but "Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing" by Strapping Young Lad totally fits the bill for fast & aggressive at an almost absurd level.  It's Devy's first SYL album and songs like Happy Camper (Carpe B.U.M) are fast and aggressive. 

A band that does fast and aggressive very well is Dillinger Escape Plan.  Calculating Infinity is awesome.  It's fast and aggressive, but with a lot of mathy riffing as well. 

Some brutal death metal like maybe Cryptopsy or Cannibal Corpse is an obvious choice.  "Kill" is IMO Corpse's best album. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:21:46 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:36:08 PM »

I'm not sure how the hell I forgot about SYL, seems kinda dumb for me to totally space on them. I never heard Dillinger Escape Plan before, heard of them but never bothered to check them out, I'll give them a listen to sometime.

Can't say I would have thought AFI would have come up in this topic, I'll see what I can do about checking that album out if I can.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 04:11:11 PM »

Bloodbath -- Brutal /old/school Swedish Death Metal, Belphegor -- Austrian Blackened Death Metal,Vital Remains -- Like Deicide (even has Glen Benton on vocals), but faster and more brutal.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 01:15:24 AM »

Some punk?

Dead Kennedys, Exploited, Minor Threat

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »

Get the "Hardcore Version" of the album Vein by Boris.

Do it.
(I think it's out of print though so you might have to d/l it)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:09:40 PM by SonicDeathMonkey » Logged
LunarHeartHeaven
Composer Of Light Or Dark?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:36:36 AM »

Symphony X is a superb underrated band that has a big share og agressive and fast tunes with alot of depth as well.

Recommended albums: Divine wings of Tradegy, V and Odyssey

Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »

Sy X /UNDER/rated?

Bwah?!

James, listen to Behemoth.  Inferno is the best drummer ever.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »

Sy X /UNDER/rated?

Bwah?!

Underrated compared to DT, perhaps? Though not so much these days.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »

A band that does fast and aggressive very well is Dillinger Escape Plan.  Calculating Infinity is awesome.  It's fast and aggressive, but with a lot of mathy riffing as well. 

DEP definitely. I prefer Miss Machine over Calculating Infinity, though. CI fell apart for me after the first few songs, where as Miss Machine felt like a more cohesive album.

To the OP: Check out Converge. Jane Doe is a great album as is No Heroes. Their older stuff(When Forever Comes Crashing, Petitioning The Empty Sky) leans more to the Hardcore/Metalcore, but they're incredible albums none the less.

"Oh, a hunter..."
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 12:20:42 AM »

Jane Doe and No Heroes are both so, so good.

Also, it might not be exactly what you're looking for but I guess I'll rec Melt-Banana's Scratch or Stitch.
LunarHeartHeaven
Composer Of Light Or Dark?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »

Yeah, I think SY.X is under-rated, their newest album Paradise Lost only sold 6,300 in its first week, it's not good IMO, a band of such caliber shouldn't sell under 10.000 copies the first week, sheesh!

Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »

Ah, but critical acclaim =/= commercial sales.

Paradise Lost is their best album, who cares if it didn't sale, it rocks regardless.  :P

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 02:33:49 PM »

Symph X is certainly not underrated.  Underappreciated, under-known, underhyped, underplayed especially by the masses, yes.  But that's because they write challenging music and the majority of radio listeners out there aren't as taken by challenging music as we are.  Even local college radio stations who have metal programming rarely play Symph X. 

Underrated is when something is good but everyone says it sucks.  Metal aficionados almost universally agree that Symph X is one of the best US prog-metal bands out there and 9 out of 10 of them will say they kick Dream Theater's ass.  That's not underrated.   

I love Symph X.  I think that they, Divinity Destroyed, and Suspyre are three of the best prog-metal bands my home state of New Jersey has to offer.  I love 'em all!  I wish more people were into them, because they're so good.  But you know what?  We can all name bands that are stellar and deserve success but that no one else will listen to.  I will admit that it baffles me how a dumbass band like Trivium is so big whereas a far superior band like Stygian is still down in the trenches. 

"Communion and the Oracle" is my favorite Symph X song.  But as awesome as Symph X is, I'm not sure that's exactly what the original poster's looking for.  I think he wants something more in a pummeling brutal death vein, like Psycroptic, Decrepit Birth, Suffocation or something.  Though I'm not sure all of those have the insane speed he seems to be craving.  Some bands I feel became more brutal when they slowed down. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:41:36 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: