Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327664 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Something of interest for the metalhead guitarists out there
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Something of interest for the metalhead guitarists out there  (Read 1412 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »

This is pretty old, so you might have seen it before, but while perusing YouTube earlier I came across a pretty lenghty video interview/guitar lesson featuring Adrian Smith.

He doesn't sit down and discuss theory or anything like that, but he shares a few techniques and shows a few of the detuned Maiden riffs he plays these days.

Good stuff...even though I'm kinda irate that he can take a Squier Tele and a practice amp and sound heavier than I do with an SG and a Marshall stack. :P

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 03:11:45 PM »

FUCK.

This computer's speakers are busted!

GOD DAMN IT ALL.

*Waits a month to be able to watch this*   -_-

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:29:45 PM »

Isn't he using a 1980s Squier Tele?  If so, then that's a Made in Japan Fender that was really well made; on par with the US stuff back then (heh, with Fender and Gibson these days, even their US made stuff ranges from awesome to shit.)  Not like the cheap-ass Squiers today that don't even stay in tune.  I believe Regi Wooten uses a 1980's Squier Strat and he has some crazy-ass techniques, like slapping.  Personally, I prefer the tone of the Tele over the Strat; it's beefier.  

But, yeah, it's amazing seeing a really good player, isn't it?  They can take a meh piece of gear and make it sound amazing.  I remember going to this one show where my friend's band was playing, along with a bunch of other bands.  There was this crappy ass teenage emo band where the bassist had a Rickenbacker bass and a pretty expensive SWR rig and holy shit he was terrible (though he thought he was hot shit because he had expensive gear; fuckin' spoilt brat with rich parents.)  The next band that came on had a bassist with an inexpensive nondescript Washburn bass and a nothing-special Hartke combo amp... and he sounded fantastic.  His touch and the way he executed his lines was so buttery smooth.  I could only imagine how HE would've sounded with emo-kid's bass and rig.    The heavens would have parted, man.  

The tone is in the hands, man.  It's in the hands.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 08:36:25 AM »

That was really cool. A bit depressing, but cool :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 09:03:36 AM »

I would say "humbling" more than "depressing."  I mean, when you're learning to play an instrument there are inevitable times when you hate your instrument and start blaming it for your shortcomings.  The frets are shot, the pickups are noisy, yadda yadda yadda... then when a really good player picks up your crappy instrument and makes it sound fantastic, it's like divine intervention.

Humility is something important for a true player to have.  That's one thing that pissed me off about that damned emo kid from before.  Instead of recognizing the next bassist's skill, I overheard him laughing to his little emo bandmates/friends about the guy's "cheap ass crappy" gear.  Ugh, what a fuckin' douche.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: